Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #136
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Extract ISBN
I'd been thinking about it anyway: Extract ISBN Qt5
JimmXinu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 PM   #137
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I'd been thinking about it anyway: Extract ISBN Qt5
That was fast.

Thanks.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:12 AM   #138
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have uploaded version 1.204 which includes all the changes from this weeks main calibre release.

I also added a source tarball in case there is anyone that wants to build it from source.

http://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #139
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have uploaded version 1.204 which includes all the changes from this weeks main calibre release.

I also added a source tarball in case there is anyone that wants to build it from source.

http://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/
204.1 on XP
The editor now says (incorrectly) 'No problems' found on Launch ('T' key) instead of the 'Check not run'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #140
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The Prince PDF plugin should be Qt5-compatible now too.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #141
stanking
Noob Developer
stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Fire 7
Now that the Qt5 transition event is over with most plugins using the new version, is there any reason to continue using the try...Qt5...except...Qt4 code block? Is Qt4 needed for backward compatibility for new plugins, or just for those updating older plugins?
stanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanking View Post
Now that the Qt5 transition event is over with most plugins using the new version, is there any reason to continue using the try...Qt5...except...Qt4 code block? Is Qt4 needed for backward compatibility for new plugins, or just for those updating older plugins?
The backwards comparability is needed because Calibre 2.x won't run on Windows XP and some old version of OS X. So those people will either have to upgrade their OS and/or computer or stick with Calibre 1.48. So yes, because there are people still running 1.48, backwards comparability is important.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #143
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Some developers have decided NOT to support the calibre 1.48 code base and have already removed the try / except block from their code.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Some developers have decided NOT to support the calibre 1.48 code base and have already removed the try / except block from their code.
Which (IMHO) is rather callous.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #145
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just backwards compatibility, on the reasoning that there is no good reason to cut off support for old versions simply because you can, and because some people are legitimately stuck on old versions... although if you need to use Qt5-only features in order to make the plugin more useful, there is no reason to cripple it just for backwards compatibility -- and it isn't callous to do so.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #146
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just backwards compatibility, on the reasoning that there is no good reason to cut off support for old versions simply because you can, and because some people are legitimately stuck on old versions... although if you need to use Qt5-only features in order to make the plugin more useful, there is no reason to cripple it just for backwards compatibility -- and it isn't callous to do so.
But it is callous when backwards compatibility is removed for no other reason then you can do so. I fully understand when you cannot use Qt4 do to something in the plugin not working with Qt4. But if there's no reason it won't work with Qt4, then (IMHO) there's no real reason to remove (or not add in) Qt4 compatibility.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:22 PM   #147
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it is callous when backwards compatibility is removed for no other reason then you can do so. I fully understand when you cannot use Qt4 do to something in the plugin not working with Qt4. But if there's no reason it won't work with Qt4, then (IMHO) there's no real reason to remove (or not add in) Qt4 compatibility.
Do you ALSO fully understand that at no point did I actually disagree with you?

I strongly suspect you are talking merely to hear yourself talk.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #148
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For the record - this is what I had to say elsewhere on the matter Calibre 1.48...Continue Updating Plugins?

eschwartz & JSWolf perhaps you can take your childish squabbling to a pre-teens chat site.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #149
stanking
Noob Developer
stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Fire 7
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm coming at this starting a new plugin (as opposed to updating an established one) and I'm new to Calibre development, Python, and Qt. I wouldn't remove code just to cut off those who don't update, but I'm not going to waste time trying make my code available for XP. It's an OS I loved, but was released 13 years ago and is no longer safe nor supported by Microsoft, and the need to replace my debit card this month because Home Depot was too cheap to update their systems has soured me on it. And since these plugin developers are providing their talents for free, "callous" is inappropriate. Thanks, @BetterRed, your link was very helpful.
stanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #150
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm coming at this starting a new plugin (as opposed to updating an established one) and I'm new to Calibre development, Python, and Qt. I wouldn't remove code just to cut off those who don't update, but I'm not going to waste time trying make my code available for XP. It's an OS I loved, but was released 13 years ago and is no longer safe nor supported by Microsoft, and the need to replace my debit card this month because Home Depot was too cheap to update their systems has soured me on it. And since these plugin developers are providing their talents for free, "callous" is inappropriate. Thanks, @BetterRed, your link was very helpful.
It's not coding for XP. It's coding for people who have not yet moved to Calibre 2.x according to the stats, almost 5.3% have moved to Calibre 2.x. That leave more then 1/2 still using a Qt4 version. That's the reason to still support pre 2.0 when you can.