Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #271
barrow
barrow began at the beginning.

Device: Want: Kindle 2 / Cybook Gen3 / Sony Daily Reader
Another dumb question...just to fill in the gaps of my general knowledge about these devices...

At PRESENT, is is safe to say that there are many more titles available for e-readers such as the Cybook that generally use "mobipocket" type files, in contrast to e-readers such as the Sony PRS's that generally use "epub" type files??

(without taking into consideration third-party file conversion that can be attempted).

Many thanks
barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:50 AM   #272
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrow View Post
Another dumb question...just to fill in the gaps of my general knowledge about these devices...

At PRESENT, is is safe to say that there are many more titles available for e-readers such as the Cybook that generally use "mobipocket" type files, in contrast to e-readers such as the Sony PRS's that generally use "epub" type files??

(without taking into consideration third-party file conversion that can be attempted).

Many thanks
No, I'd say that the same books tend to be available in both Mobi and ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #273
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you, Terisa. I had thought that they had DRM which prevented them from working on the Kindle. Glad to hear that's not the case.
If they're bought at Kindle, no. In other cases...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #274
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
No, I'd say that the same books tend to be available in both Mobi and ePub.
It depends on your readings But new books, yes, the same more or less except some books only available for Kindle (yes, they exist, they're the reason for my iPhone).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #275
barrow
barrow began at the beginning.

Device: Want: Kindle 2 / Cybook Gen3 / Sony Daily Reader
You guys are very helpful, thankyou

After a thorough day of research, I'm leaning towards buying two ebook readers. The Cybook Gen 3 so I can have a french dictionary as the default lookup/translation dictionary. And the Kindle 2 so that I can access the French newspaper Le Monde every day. Which is ironic considering the Sony PRS 600 is probably the best of the lot! But it doesn't offer either of those options that I'd like...

Last edited by barrow; 10-09-2009 at 07:56 AM.
barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #276
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
To clarify, I was referring to commercially published dictionaries. Is there any commercially published "big name" dictionary that you can buy, and install on the Kindle as a replacement for the supplied English dictionary? I was under the impression that there were none, but I would be happy to be wrong about that!
From the following web page:

http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webste...5099071&sr=1-2

"You can set this dictionary as your default Kindle dictionary and look up words while reading. The default setting is The New Oxford American Dictionary included on your Kindle, but you have the option to change your default setting to this compatible dictionary after purchase."

Here's some more that say the same thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Tabers-Cyclope...5099071&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Eastons-Dictio...5099071&sr=1-7

I would also assume now that the Kindle has gone "international" we will start seeing them for other languages and also translation type dictionaries.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #277
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrow View Post
Thanks Harry. You're right, the Kindle does let you change the default dictionary, so in effect there are already "replacement dictionaries" in foreign languages. However, making this change does not allow the new dictionary to be the "lookup dictionary", that thing you do "on the fly" when picking a word in the text.
I'm not sure where you got this idea. From the Kindle manual:

Quote:
You can choose the dictionary you want to use when you look up words while you are reading. The default is The New Oxford American Dictionary included on your Kindle, but you can change your dictionary choice after purchasing an alternate compatible dictionary at the Kindle Store.
BOb
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #278
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
From the following web page:

http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webste...5099071&sr=1-2

"You can set this dictionary as your default Kindle dictionary and look up words while reading. The default setting is The New Oxford American Dictionary included on your Kindle, but you have the option to change your default setting to this compatible dictionary after purchase."

Here's some more that say the same thing:

http://www.amazon.com/Tabers-Cyclope...5099071&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Eastons-Dictio...5099071&sr=1-7

I would also assume now that the Kindle has gone "international" we will start seeing them for other languages and also translation type dictionaries.

BOb
Good - very pleased to hear that there are now alternates available.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #279
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes .
...and you have yet to add, Kindle2.

BOb
Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #280
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I Know you can DeDrm it but besides that is it actually an option?
You can still use a Kindle PID with sites that use OverDrive servers to encrypt the ebooks (unless this has changed also.) Then you would have to kindle fix it.

Or, as you said, you can just buy it for your PC's PID and liberate it.

Has someone confirmed that any standard Mobipocket formatted dictionary can be set as the default dictionary on the Kindle?

BOb
Old 10-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #281
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
...and you have yet to add, Kindle2.

BOb
That's because:

1. I haven't got it yet.
2. There's no more room in my profile .
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #282
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's because:

1. I haven't got it yet.
2. There's no more room in my profile .
If you take out the words "CyBook", "irex", and Sony you might be able to squeeze it in.

BOb
Old 10-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #283
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
If you take out the words "CyBook", "irex", and Sony you might be able to squeeze it in.

BOb
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #284
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No, I really was being serious.... he has:

CyBook Gen3, Opus, iRex DR1000S, iPod Touch, HTC Touch, Sony PRS-600

If he changed it to:

Gen3, Opus, DR1000S, iPod Touch, HTC Touch, PRS-600, Kindle2

It would fit and even be shorter than what he has now.

BOb
Old 10-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #285
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
No, I really was being serious.... he has:

CyBook Gen3, Opus, iRex DR1000S, iPod Touch, HTC Touch, Sony PRS-600

If he changed it to:

Gen3, Opus, DR1000S, iPod Touch, HTC Touch, PRS-600, Kindle2

It would fit and even be shorter than what he has now.

BOb

I know, I know. Someday I hope to have as big a variety of readers as Harry!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote