Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Scibd adds Audiobooks - will you Join?

Scribd just added 30,000+ audiobooks to it's $8.99 monthly plan at no additional cost. Will this new perk give you the incentive to join?

As for me, I doubt it. I have access to several public libraries with large audiobook catalogs.

BTW -- there's a thread in the News Forum about this announcement

Note -- this will give you an idea of where Scribd fits in with its collection size:

Titles Available
  • Audible --> 166,000+
  • Audiobooks.com --> 50,000+
  • Downpour --> 40,000+
  • Scribd --> 30,000+
  • Pub Library --> 28,000+ (Phoenix Digital & Navy General)
  • Skybrite --> 10,000+
  • Christ Aud --> 6,200+
  • Tantor Aud --> 2,800+
  • Kindle Unlim --> 2,000+

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-18-2014 at 04:08 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
From the FAQ, it seems like you can only listen on the computer. I may sign up for the one-month free trial and listen to a couple of books, but it's not a service I would pay for if I can't listen on the go.

ETA: Oh, wait, I'm wrong. I see in another part of the FAQ that the Scribd app allows you to listen on mobile devices. Still, though, I really don't want to have to use my phone; I want to use my cute little Clip Zip!

Last edited by Catlady; 11-06-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
From the FAQ, it seems like you can only listen on the computer. I may sign up for the one-month free trial and listen to a couple of books, but it's not a service I would pay for if I can't listen on the go.
Try this promo code and see if it works for a 3-mo trial.

Scribd-Harlequin Promo
  • New -----> free 3-mo trial
  • Current --> free 60-day ext

If you visit this page, you can qualify for other ways to extend your subscription for free.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 11-06-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Try this promo code and see if it works for a 3-mo trial.
Worked for me. I'm going to give it a whirl.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Worked for me. I'm going to give it a whirl.
Did you need to enter billing info - credit card, name, address, etc?
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you need to enter billing info - credit card, name, address, etc?
Credit card yes. Address, no.

However, I already seem to have had a Scribd login, so it is likely that I had entered my name and perhaps address on a prior date.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Credit card yes. Address, no.

However, I already seem to have had a Scribd login, so it is likely that I had entered my name and perhaps address on a prior date.
Thanks. I ask because you can't tell from the initial signup page. I have two different logins for websites. One with my real name and one without. Whenever possible, I prefer not using my name.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard

No iPhone support yet, which really stinks. I'll install on my Nexus and see it it's available there. I'm not listening to audiobooks on my iMac.

eta: It does work with the app on my Nexus 7. I can't quite figure out if the audio file is actually downloaded, or if you can only listen streaming via wi-fi. Going to have to wait a few minutes and see if the whole book downloads, or if when I turn it on again if it still says "streaming over wi-fi."

etaa: Still says "streaming over wi-fi." Not going to be helpful if I want to listen to an audiobook when I'm not home.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 11-06-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'm already a member so this is an added perk for me. However their latest updated app just force closes when I try to play an Audible book on my Samsung Galaxy Player. I opened a ticket.

You can listen off line through the app if you download to your device. You need to go My Library for that option though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard

The book is in my library in the Scribd app on my Nexus 7. It is playing, but I think it only actually downloads the current chapter. The app itself keeps pestering me to "connect to the internet," and the only option I get is to pause the book, which doesn't work either. None of the other application options/buttons appear. When I turn the wi-fi back on, the app shows all of the options again.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The book is in my library in the Scribd app on my Nexus 7. It is playing, but I think it only actually downloads the current chapter. The app itself keeps pestering me to "connect to the internet," and the only option I get is to pause the book, which doesn't work either. None of the other application options/buttons appear. When I turn the wi-fi back on, the app shows all of the options again.
Make sure to choose download to device it's a separate option. From My library Click on the AB in your recent list scroll down where it says in your library click that and the option is there to download to device.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-06-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Make sure to choose download to device it's a separate option. From My library Click on the AB in your recent list scroll down where it says in your library click that and the option is there to download to device.
I don't see a download option. I've clicked everywhere.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I don't see a download option. I've clicked everywhere.
Play the book --> in upper right corner click circle icon --> click 'store to device' --> exit to home --> click 'my library' --> click 'on device' (upper right) --> choose book and play.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Play the book --> in upper right corner click circle icon --> click 'store to device' --> exit to home --> click 'my library' --> click 'on device' (upper right) --> choose book and play.
Thanks monkey. I can't get that far without crashing. You can also do it the way I described but it still crashes for me.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
I finally found it. I thought you both meant from the website, not from the application. It's downloading now.