Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
britesc
Not Cool Just Blind
britesc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 10
Question Please don't shout at me, but...

Hi,

As the subject says...
Calibre is great for cataloguing all of my eBooks but I was wondering if it would be possible to add another supported extension, .pap.

This would be a calibre generated xml file that indicates that you also own the printed edition of the book. Principally it would contain the physical location of the book, such as Main Office, Rack, Shelf, etc.

As I am partially sighted I cannot always read the eBook due to the glare so often mix and match between digital and physical to enable me to read the book. So this would be a great help for me and I am sure others in a similar situation.

Thanks and kind regards,

jB
britesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@britesc - There's a little down arrow glyph on the left of the Add Button, click on it and it will show a menu of sub-actions, the Add Empty Books (book entry with no formats) one is what most of us use for paper books. Or you can just add an empty text file by dragging it into the book list, then enter the Author, Title etc, then you can remove the text file.

You'll also see an action for adding a books by ISBN.

If you want a Location for your physical books, then that would be best done by a custom column - maybe a fixed set of values - Main Office, Rack, Shelf, etc .

There's a column (field) named IDs, it can contain ISBN, Amazon, B&N, Google etc identifiers. Theres also a plugin Extract ISBN ( click). It will look inside ebooks for an ISBN and pop it in the IDs column for you, its a good thing do before downloading metadata.

In case you've not realised it yet - calibre is primarily driven from a database, not the file system, the latter is used a container for ebook files (EPUBS, PDFs, TXT etc), cover images and odp opf files (these are a means of rebuilding the database should it get lost or corrupted, they are not used in normal operations)

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-16-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: correct odp, should have been opf
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
britesc
Not Cool Just Blind
britesc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 10
Thanks will try your suggestions.
britesc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
printed books