Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #15091
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I got a KOBO and an iTunes gift card and I take so much time to pick a book!! I read so many reviews and can't decide. I think my first book for 2013 will be 11/22/63 by Stephen King.
Not sure about "14" by Peter Clines, it starts really interesting but I am not so much in sci-fi...but it seems a good book. Maybe I'll get that one anyways, is only $8.
Too many numbers.

Need a calculator to decide what to read.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #15092
Nella
Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Nella is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Nook ST, KPW 1,3,4, Kobo Libra 2
Currently rereading Clancy's the Hunt for Red October.

I read the translated version before and found it immensely enjoyable.
Now I'm reading the original so I stumble a lot because of the nautical and technical terms.
Nella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #15093
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I can't read P. K Dick....just not my thing...I can't suspend my disbelief with him he doesn't draw me in to the story. Not sure if you are reading the original or if there is an adaptation of the movie or ?? but that's my two cents, and certainly worth no more than that.
I actually have no idea. My hubby gave me a copy of his ebook. Its published by Vintage Books through Random House. I've read the first 2 pages, about 5 times...
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #15094
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Quote:
Too many numbers.

Need a calculator to decide what to read.
You're right! Didn't even realize that they're both number titles!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #15095
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I actually have no idea. My hubby gave me a copy of his ebook. Its published by Vintage Books through Random House. I've read the first 2 pages, about 5 times...
I don't even know what editions/versions are out there. Probably this one I'd guess: http://www.amazon.com/Scanner-Darkly...scanner+darkly

Thanks!

Last edited by kennyc; 01-03-2013 at 11:18 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #15096
W. Rabbit
W. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPad
Ethan Frome

Im reading Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton for school! It is a very interesting book and I like it. If anyone has read it, I will be glad to hear from them and discuss the book because we will be having a test over it soon. I just want to get different views from other people, you know. See if Im missing an angle!
W. Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #15097
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
Im reading Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton for school! It is a very interesting book and I like it. If anyone has read it, I will be glad to hear from them and discuss the book because we will be having a test over it soon. I just want to get different views from other people, you know. See if Im missing an angle!
Here is a related thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200142
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #15098
W. Rabbit
W. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the roughW. Rabbit is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPad
Thank you!

[QUOTE=John F;]Here is a related thread:

W. Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #15099
paranormalink
paranormalink began at the beginning.

Device: none
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
paranormalink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #15100
LucyLu
Bookaholic
LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyLu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranormalink View Post
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
Fantastic book! I liked it very much! I'm waiting for the sequel.
LucyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #15101
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've started reading "Gone Girl", but I'm not far enough into it yet to feel comfortable stating any opinion on it. I hope to get a lot read tonight.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #15102
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Hugh Howey and Tony Hillerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Well, I completed reading Night Watch, a Russian Urban Fantasy, and also watched the movie adaptation of it. The book is divided into three novellas and the movie was based on just the first of the three. Down the road a ways I'm sure I'll read the next book in the Night Watch trilogy of novels (the trilogy has now expanded to a total of 4 books).

For my first book of 2013, I'm going to read Hugh Howey's newest addition to the Wool saga (Silo Series (Wool) [7]), Second Shift: Order that, like Night Watch, I received as a Christmas present.
I completed my read of Second Shift: Order. Just after I started reading it my 'Christmas Kindle PaperWhite' arrived by UPS! So my first book of 2013 was read on my new PaperWhite! Second Shift: Order was, as we've grown to expect from Hugh Howey, an excellent book and well worth the price (...er...I know, it was a present)...the asking price!

Right now I'm just starting to read the 14th book of the Leaphorn/Chee mysteries by Tony Hillerman, Hunting Badger.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #15103
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
And I think the story, the man, his history condenses/summarizes to some extent the terrible offenses that were committed by the U.S. (invaders?)

BTW Added to my TBR list -- shoot, it's only 99 cents at Amazon! whoop!
and written by a good ol' Oklahoma boy! Bonus!
Hope you like it Kenny. Yeah, I'm cheap! The $.99 price enticed me as well.

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #15104
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
At the end of December, I picked up a few novels from the Warhammer 40K universe because of the recommendations of a reviewer that I trust.

At the end of the year I finished the first, First and Only by Dan Abnett. A good read and a nice introduction to the universe and the beginning a long series (Gaunt's Ghosts - 13 novels at this time). 4 stars. Two more on my list.

I'll finish the second one, Horus Rising by Dan Abnett later this evening. This one is the start of an 19 novels, 18 short stories and 4 novellas series (Horus Heresy). A complex and well written Military Science Fiction novel. 4 stars. I've got 3 more of these to go.

If you have any interest in Military Science Fiction, you should give these a look. Ebooks only available directly from The Black Library.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #15105
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Firefly by Brian Stableford.
I'm abandoning this. I really liked his "Dragonman" novel, but this book is much more arbitrary and mythic — not at all to my taste. I've got three quarters of the way through (in the hopes that it would grow on me), but I just don't want to bother reading the rest.

Time for something light that I know I'll enjoy: Grantville Gazette #45. The latest (Jan 2013) in the series of short stories, serials and fact articles about Eric Flint's 1632 universe. Fun stuff.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote