Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #1396
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabel View Post
This thread is a perfect thread for me. I'm definitely addicted, I can't help myself! Amazon especially gets me, with books for $.99, $1.99, $2.99...I'm doomed! lol Currently I have over 400 ebooks on my reader, plus about 150 paper books, all waiting to be read. I can't read that fast!! What to do?!?!?
Welcome to the thread. Read the first post and follow the three rules laid out there. You'll soon get your TBR under control.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #1397
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I am not buying anymore e-books for the rest of this... month. ( It is helped by the fact that I recieved ARCs of most of the books I want to read this month. )
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #1398
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
I am sure you have to know somebody, that knows somebody, that knows somebody, but how do you get ARCs?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #1399
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
I am sure you have to know somebody, that knows somebody, that knows somebody, but how do you get ARCs?
If it's published by Baen ebooks, you pay $15 for the eARC two months (or so) before the publication date. Or you wait until two weeks before the publication date and get the final version for $6.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #1400
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Do Birthday Presents, even to yourself, count?
Apache
They count. But I don't feel all that bad about this one, since it is a favourite author and her latest book in a favourite series. Rule #3:
"Only exception is most recent in series by favourite authors."

But I need to resist any others, especially since I also got a bunch of Audible books the same day. So now need to buckle down and adhere strictly to the rules.

I don't have a problem. I can handle it. I can quit any time.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #1401
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Books on Board got me today. But I did get six books from my wishlist that I most definitely want (three by Terry Pratchett, two by Georgette Heyer,and one new author).

The average price per book was £2.56 (about $4). And over 40% cheaper than buying the books on Amazon!

But it does mean my TBR pile is back up to 349.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #1402
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tsk. That's not going to help the TBR a bit. Though you did get a good price. But there must be something in the air. I succumbed to the urge and bought a couple of C. J. Cherryh books that I've been eyeing. One was even on sale. The other two, sadly, were not, though they were reasonably priced at $7.99.

My one complaint at this point is that books 2-6 in the Foreigner series are not available as eBooks. I sincerely wish DAW would get off their butt and release them.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #1403
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
But I need to resist any others, especially since I also got a bunch of Audible books the same day. So now need to buckle down and adhere strictly to the rules.

I don't have a problem. I can handle it. I can quit any time.
Don't get me going on Audible! I am such an addict.
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #1404
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
The Books on Board sale snagged me as well. I must admit to buying 12 books, but I got them at a good price around $3. I would have bought more if I would have thought of Georgette Heyer.

I was doing so good this year until this!!

Time to begin again.

Tomorrow I will not buy any books.

Guaranteed!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #1405
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The other two, sadly, were not, though they were reasonably priced at $7.99.
Well, that's no way to behave. Bad Charlie!

But seriously - if you have lots of ebooks to read, there's no point in buying more at full price unless you're going to read them instantly (i.e. new release of the next book in a favourite series).

The one big advantage of having a large TBR list is being able to wait until the books you want (i.e. have added to your wish list!) become available in a special offer.

My average price for books bought this year is just $2.25. Of course, having bought 118 of them is a bit of a problem....
Old 09-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #1406
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I would have bought more if I would have thought of Georgette Heyer.
With a bit of luck there'll be another Georgette Heyer sale next year. Perhaps you can wait until then?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #1407
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
With a bit of luck there'll be another Georgette Heyer sale next year. Perhaps you can wait until then?
I bought a lot during this year's sale. I will wait until next year for the others. I need to get a list of what is out there.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #1408
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I bought a lot during this year's sale. I will wait until next year for the others. I need to get a list of what is out there.
I can help you there.

Spoiler:
1 The Black Moth (1921)
2 The Great Roxhythe (1923)
3 Powder and Patch (originally The Transformation of Philip Jettan) (1923)
4 Instead of the Thorn (1923)
5 Simon the Coldheart (1925)
6 These Old Shades (1926)
7 Helen (1928)
8 The Masqueraders (1928)
9 Beauvallet (1929)
10 Pastel (1929)
11 Barren Corn (1930)
12 The Conqueror (1931)
13 Devil's Cub (1932)
14 Footsteps in the Dark (1932)
15 Why Shoot a Butler? (1933)
16 The Convenient Marriage (1934)
17 The Unfinished Clue (1934)
18 Death in the Stocks (1935)
19 Regency Buck (1935)
20 Behold, Here's Poison (1936)
21 The Talisman Ring (1936)
22 An Infamous Army (1937)
23 They Found Him Dead (1937)
24 A Blunt Instrument (1938)
25 Royal Escape (1938)
26 No Wind of Blame (1939)
27 The Spanish Bride (1940)
28 The Corinthian (1940)
29 Envious Casca (1941)
30 Faro's Daughter (1941)
31 Penhallow (1942)
32 Friday's Child (1944)
33 The Reluctant Widow (1946)
34 The Foundling (1948)
35 Arabella (1949)
36 The Grand Sophy (1950)
37 Duplicate Death (1951)
38 The Quiet Gentleman (1951)
39 Cotillion (1953)
40 Detection Unlimited (1953)
41 The Toll-Gate (1954)
42 Bath Tangle (1955)
43 Sprig Muslin (1956)
44 April Lady (1957)
45 Sylvester: or The Wicked Uncle (1957)
46 Venetia (1958)
47 The Unknown Ajax (1959)
48 Pistols for Two (1960)
49 A Civil Contract (1961)
50 The Nonesuch (1962)
51 False Colours (1963)
52 Frederica (1965)
53 Black Sheep (1966)
54 Cousin Kate (1968)
55 Charity Girl (1970)
56 Lady of Quality (1972)
57 My Lord John (1975)
58 Pursuit (in The Queens Book of the Red Cross) (1939)

I have all but six. But I've only read about three or four of the earliest ones. I'm going to spread the others out over the next couple of years.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #1409
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I have all the Heyer's, now, thanks to two different year's worth of sale prices. Like you, I spread them out. Saving them for when I'm feeling like a bit of a fun break.

Quote:
Well, that's no way to behave. Bad Charlie!

But seriously - if you have lots of ebooks to read, there's no point in buying more at full price unless you're going to read them instantly (i.e. new release of the next book in a favourite series).
I know, I know. Bad Charlie! But I was feeling down and let it get the better of me. But at least they were books in a series I knew I really wanted to re-read. And that I had NOT been able to get from the library. (Others in the series, I had gotten from the library.) And they were $8, not the $13 they had been when I last looked. But still, no real excuse.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #1410
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Although I abstained for weeks, I'm coming off a bender most likely triggered by BooksOnBoard sales which spread to Fictionwise, B&N, and Amazon. I'm looking forward to all the great reads from authors I love, but it's time to STOP. I'll be back to check this thread daily for support.

I'll have to be dedicated to read all this year's Heyers before her birthday sales next August.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote