Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
Skinning/Themes for the Cool-er ebook reader.

I've put together a simple firmware modification for the Cool-er reader that allows you to quickly apply skins/themes.
Once the modification has been applied you can re-skin the reader with your own images without having to reflash.

>> Kewl-ER <<
>> SkinMod <<

I'm not a great designer, but I've put up an example skin.

Hopefully if we have some talented designers out there we can have some really nice themes for our readers

Quick instructions:
Download the latest version of kewl-er. Unzip this and place the backdoor.sh script on your reader's internal memory (not the SD card).
Download the latest version of skinMod. Unzip this and place the skinMod.sh script next to the backdoor script.
Download an example skin (e.g. Penguins!). Rename this to skin.tgz and place it next to the backdoor script.
Disconnect your reader from your computer.
Re-boot the reader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loading.JPG
Views:	1517
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	40170   Click image for larger version

Name:	library.JPG
Views:	1613
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	40171   Click image for larger version

Name:	reading.JPG
Views:	1524
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	40172   Click image for larger version

Name:	bookmark.JPG
Views:	1542
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	40173   Click image for larger version

Name:	usb.JPG
Views:	1412
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	40174   Click image for larger version

Name:	power_off.JPG
Views:	1482
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	40175  

Last edited by codeMonkey; 02-06-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: updated links for the latest firmware version.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Just to let anyone know, I've been working on some changes to this recently.
The main page has moved to here for the kewl-er project.
skinMod is now a plugin for this - it's page can be found here.
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
lilila
lilila began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505, Netronix EB600
Thanks, I like the script and it works well. I mean it works flawlessly on my Astak mentor lite with COOL-ER firmware.
lilila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
codeMonkey
Zealot

Glad it's working well for you!

There are some updates planned hopefully sometime this weekend - I'll post here when they're ready.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
cool designs?

Has anyone with some graphics skills come up with some pretty themes/skins? If so would you care to share them? I fear my graphic design skills are sadly lacking.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #6
codeMonkey
Zealot

Hi Amy

Unfortunately not - I did a little work last weekend on a MobileRead-based theme that might appeal to more people, but I'm not much of a graphic designer either, so it's still going slowly whilst I'm juggling that with other things.

I've also got some good ideas for modifications to make it easier for people to test out their own designs, but it's still a little way off at the moment.

If you have any ideas for any designs, or even just pictures you'd like to see on your own reader let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
andygates
andygates began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
Okay, that's slick. I'M INFESTED WITH PENGUINS! THE HORROR! It's all... Tuxey!

*ahem*

I'll see what I can do about making/finding some pretties. Ex Libris classicalpants comes to mind. Anyone fancy a mock iPad one?
andygates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Cath
Enthusiast
Cath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014
I want penguins!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on the December firmware The kewler and skin mods seem fine, but the skin wasn't applied, and instead I've got a skin.tgz listed in my library. I don't have the reader with me right now, but if I open that file it gives me some sort of version error.
Cath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
codeMonkey
Zealot

I'll have to check it with the new firmware - I'm surprised that the .tgz file shows up in the library - will definitely need to investigate shortly.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
andygates

Does the native firmware really just automatically run backdoor.sh out of the box? That's... weird and cool. And so very hackable.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
codeMonkey
Zealot

Yep. So far all of them do it automatically.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #12
andygates

That's magnificent. I'm having trouble packing my test skin up for use though - newbie error I'll betcha. I tar the files, then gzip the tarball, but it fails to find the version (1119) - there's a \.\ folder difference between my tgz's and yours. Any tips? (XP / 7zip here)

Cath - The skins have a little text file indicating which firmware versions they are compatible with; the Penguins skin has indicators for 0828 and 1119 but not 1229, which is the firmware you're using. cM can add that to his release, or you can unpack it, add it and repack it, or I'd do it except that I'm having the aforementioned packing problem. (Or you could go back to the 1119 firmware)
Old 02-05-2010, 04:42 AM   #13
codeMonkey
Zealot

Hi Andy

I think there are some differences between the way that 7zip creates tgz files and the way that the gnu tar does - i've just had a quick check but gnu tar doesn't seem to work very well under Windows at the moment. I'll have another look at lunch - see if I can get something working because I'm guessing most people are going to be using Windows, and I'd love to get some more skins out there in the wild

Note: I've updated the first post in this thread with the latest versions - there's a copy of the penguins skin that has the 1229 tag there. I'm also currently implementing some other changes from suggestions by cyberman and ytrushkov, so the next version should hopefully be a bit tidier. Now I just need to figure out how to delete the two old posts near the top of this thread to make sure other people don't get confused with versions.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
codeMonkey
Zealot

I've had a play with 7zip today, and it seems the problem is that the version of busybox on the Cool-ER can't handle the tar files produced by 7zip.
The gnu version of tar for Windows has problems, but the one in UnxUtils works.
I've grabbed tar, gzip and gunzip out of UnxUtils and put them here to get around the problem.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
codeMonkey
Zealot

Links in the first post have been updated with the latest version to handle the newest firmware - there are still other modifications intended when I get the chance, but for now this will do.

Just re-tested it on my reader - it still works nicely

Tags
cool-er skins themes