Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-05-2016, 03:43 AM   #1
fanficdude1
fanficdude1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
calibre companion can't sort by date modified?!

I use CC a LOT. I bought specifically because the moon reader pro app suggested it (also great btw) It's my go-to fanfic library app, but how can it get it to sort on date_modified?!

Calibre itself has a column for this, "modified" lookup name "date_modified"

CC doesn't seem to have this column in ANY of its many sort column screens.

Am I missing something?
fanficdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:18 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanficdude1 View Post
I use CC a LOT. I bought specifically because the moon reader pro app suggested it (also great btw) It's my go-to fanfic library app, but how can it get it to sort on date_modified?!

Calibre itself has a column for this, "modified" lookup name "date_modified"
Calibre doesn't have a field "date_modified". I am fairly sure you mean "last_modified".
Quote:
CC doesn't seem to have this column in ANY of its many sort column screens.

Am I missing something?
No, CC does not support sorting on calibre's last_modified. And in fact I don't see much use in it, given that last_modified is changed for any one of a zillion reasons internal to calibre, not just for changes you explicitly make.

That said, the date "Date updated (CC)" is a reasonable stand-in for calibre's last modified date. It is updated whenever new metadata is received from calibre during a wireless device connection, or when a book is downloaded using the cloud or content server connections.

If you really want to have the last_modified date available to sort then you can do it by creating a custom column "built from other columns", use the template
Code:
{last_modified:format_date(yyyy-MMM-dd hh:mm:ss)}
then in CC add that custom column to the sort menu. Note that adding the column will update the last_modified date for every book in your library.

Also, given that you are dealing with fanfic, it is worth noting that in calibre, changing a book format file does not change last_modified. It is my understanding that fanfic books change a lot without necessarily changing any metadata for the book, but my understanding may be totally wrong.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #3
fanficdude1
fanficdude1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
changing formats might not update the last_modified date, but presumably adding new chapters will. i use fanficfare, save everything to epubs, and the only stories that should ever change are incomplete fanfics.
fanficdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanficdude1 View Post
changing formats might not update the last_modified date, but presumably adding new chapters will. i use fanficfare, save everything to epubs, and the only stories that should ever change are incomplete fanfics.
Adding new chapters will change last_modified only if the process (the plugin) also changes metadata for the book. Changing a book file has no effect on the last_modified date.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
date modified, sorting