Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Seriously: Can I roll back to firmware 1.0?

I bought this kobo for my son who is in his summer break.
he can't stay there for long and likes to read the books from time to time. say read 2 hours, then play for 1 or 2 hours, the kobo was fine for him with firmware 1.0; but now, after the upgrade, he has to boot it up each time and re-open the book when he goes back to the book. Now he even doesn't like to use it anymore - it take him 40 seconds for each boot up. he blames on me so much!

So, SERIOUSLY, can I roll back my kobo to firmware 1.0?

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 07-03-2010 at 03:51 PM.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Fred; have you thought of just going to a Chapters and exchanging the unit? Better do it quickly or the new firmware will be what the units in the store have....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Good idea...but...I've made some phyisical changes to my kobo..
Old 07-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #4
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
The "going back" isn't a bad idea, although surely you'd need some kind of reason wouldn't you? I mean, more than "Kobo have encouraged me to rubbishify it by remote control".

I would imagine that going back to the old firmware is far too hard. There isn't likely to be a function that will allow it without Kobo writing a specific firmware "upgrade" to do such a thing. I would rather they spent their programming time on fixing the problem, not working out how to do a firmware step back.
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

But for my son, I'd like to find a way, anyways, to stop the auto-shutdown, my son refused to use it and stop reading now!
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fred; it strikes me in that case you would be far better getting your son a true instant on reading device; that will never be affected by firmware upgrades. It's called a PAPERBACK.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Fred; it strikes me in that case you would be far better getting your son a true instant on reading device; that will never be affected by firmware upgrades. It's called a PAPERBACK.
I deeply doubt that you have a child.

And you are that kind of person: "go away if you complain!", I saw too many "you" in so many forums. these kind of ppl are not welcomed.

Help if you can, shut up your mouth otherwise.

ps. What I asked is just "non-auto-shutdown", only your PAPERBACK doesn't have this feature?
I won't be supprised if you are from competitor of kobo!

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 07-04-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Fred; please... Youi were aware before doing the upgrade of the pros and cons. It was OPENLY discussed here.

Seriosuly thought. If your son was fond of reading, he would read regardless of the medium that the material was on.

I do not appreciate being told to shut up, when I have merely offered an opinion and not slung any mud at you.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
the hatter
Enthusiast
the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.the hatter can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_yu_job View Post
I deeply doubt that you have a child.

And you are that kind of person: "go away if you complain!", I saw too many "you" in so many forums. these kind of ppl are not welcomed.

Help if you can, shut up your mouth otherwise.

ps. What I asked is just "non-auto-shutdown", only your PAPERBACK doesn't have this feature?
I won't be supprised if you are from competitor of kobo!
relax man, there's no need to get nasty, especially if you're expecting people to help you out.
the hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
You should contact kobo directly to see if there's a way to undo things. There was PLENTY of discussion in the forum with regards to the pros and cons of updating the firmware.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursedude View Post
You should contact kobo directly to see if there's a way to undo things. There was PLENTY of discussion in the forum with regards to the pros and cons of updating the firmware.
Yeah, I did submitted the request ... thanks!
Old 07-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hatter View Post
relax man, there's no need to get nasty, especially if you're expecting people to help you out.
Sorry for my temper, but I don't take it as "help" letting me give it up and go back to paperback books. Don't you think the word behind such "help" is: "You don't deserve to use modern high-tech, go back to your old year!"

Last edited by fred_yu_job; 07-04-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
StealthyScribe
Feverish
StealthyScribe began at the beginning.

Device: Black Kobo
If your son has seriously stopped reading on the device now, and you don't want to give him a paperback (I tend to agree with Peter on this one, seems to be the easiest solution), why not hit up a Chapters store or contact Kobo to see if they have any left with the old firmware and buy another. Seeing as you've made physical changes to your Kobo (no idea what that could be), just get him another one. If it's that important to you, I'd start looking.
StealthyScribe is offline   Reply With Quote