Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #31
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The iPad should be good for comics as they look excellent on my iPhone. I'm suggesting the iPad because it's a much bigger screen. But if something smaller is required an iPhone or iPod touch would be good.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #32
whiz16
whiz16 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
for mangas , i usually use calibre to convert but the settings are

sometimes even if i un-tick the do-not-process-image option , those 2pages in 1 gif image still got chopped into 2.... anyway some manga with a lot of dialogue is hard to read in 6'in while some is ok .. it depends really.
whiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #33
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I like the iPad for comics (sorry, I mean graphic novels). I use the cloudreader app and am pretty impressed with it.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #34
ritchea
ritchea began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 600
Pandigital novel with hack

Bought PN just to read comics. Conversion to EPUB with calibre was unsatisfactory (incorrect display sizes although Kovid is awaiting parameters to issue PN output). Use of Kobo output with 07_18 firmware was tolerable--less than 5% cut at bottom of page. 07_24 firmware resulted in 10% cut-off at the bottom of the page. Tried a few other outputs starting with Sony Touch since we have those ereaders. No success. Hacked it and installed Droid Comic Viewer (http://www.robotcomics.net/android-comic-viewer/), and it's showing CBR perfectly!
ritchea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #35
BlueCheese
BlueCheese began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
CBR for Kindle DX

Howdy

I know this is an old topic now but its what Google threw at me when I was looking for answers so I figure I will share my findings with you all (Long Time Lurker, First time Poster!)

I recently bought a Kindle DX (I'm a geek I wanted to read Role Playing Books on it) and never thought of reading my small collection of comics until tonight.

So after playing I have worked out that the kindledoesn't read CBR files - However I busted open Calibre and using the completely default settings coverted the comic to Mobi with great success.

So the short answer of my post is Kindle and Mobi Comics work well

Cheers
Brian
BlueCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #36
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Comic Reader Mobi for smart phones. Can click on the speech bubbles, make them large enough to read. Very fast, color, .cbr/.cbz natively.
http://comicreader.mobi/
-brewt
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #37
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
I can read comic on by jetbook, not as CBR but as PDF or JPEG. Not in color of course, and not of a great quality.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #38
jjoensuu
jjoensuu began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunsingerUK View Post
Therefore I was wondering which one you think is the best, for comic books.
I cannot say if "iRiver Cover Story" is the "best one" as someone else might get upset & I do not even own one but according to this other discussion it supports the CBZ format:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100640

I do not know what the difference is between CBZ and CBR but the author of above thread uses the ereader for reading manga.

On another hand it supports only 8 grey scales, not sure if that is enough for a comic book connoisseur...
jjoensuu is offline   Reply With Quote