Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-21-2016, 12:15 AM   #586
Rezn8r
Rezn8r began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Thank you so much for this clarification, Philantrop. I guess I had been operating under the impression that only MarvinXD was affected. (I guess it's really been awhile since I tried to connect for a Kindle-on-iPad transfer!). Anyway, it doesn't sound likely that the issues are going to solved anytime soon, but here's hoping for the best. And thanks to you for your work--and here's hoping you will be available and willing if the situation improves.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
This plugin, as well as Marvin XD, is semi-maintained (by me). Both plugins work on iOS devices with iOS versions older than 8.3 (due to changes Apple implemented in newer versions) and the old Marvin (2, red icon).

To make at least Marvin2 work with newer iOS versions, Marvin's developer would have to change quite a few things - which he won't as he released Marvin 3 some time ago.

It wouldn't be hard to make Marvin 3 work nicely with these plugins on iOS newer than 8.3
but, again, the ball is in Kris' field (Marvin's dev) as he would have to make some changes and update a few things - and tell me about it.

None of that seems likely to happen any time soon, though. Until then, I can't do anything to improve the situation.

Plus: Since buying a Kindle PW3 recently, I'm almost exclusively reading on that so my motivation is not what it once was. Nevertheless, if the situation changes, I'll gladly update the plugins accordingly.

Last edited by Rezn8r; 09-21-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Rezn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #587
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
I apologize if this has already been asked and answered, but I am not sure I understand the following error. I am trying to connect my iPhone 6 (ios 10) to Caliber and am unable to install the iOS Reader plugin. I get the following error:

calibre, version 2.69.0
ERROR: Install Plugin Failed: A problem occurred while installing this plugin. This plugin will now be uninstalled. Please post the error message in details below into the forum thread for this plugin and restart Calibre.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\plugin_updater.py", line 715, in _install_clicked
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 421, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 588, in initialize_plugin
InvalidPlugin: Initialization of plugin Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 582, in initialize_plugin
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 916, in initialize
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 1245, in _get_connected_device_info
InitialConnectionError: Unable to connect to iDevice
failed with traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 582, in initialize_plugin
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 916, in initialize
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 1245, in _get_connected_device_info
InitialConnectionError: Unable to connect to iDevice

Any advice, help, explanation of what this all means would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
T
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #588
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As far as I know, the plugin just doesn't work in current versions of iOS.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #589
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As far as I know, the plugin just doesn't work in current versions of iOS.
That's right. And the post immediately above the problem report quotes the explanation of what is happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #590
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
This plugin, as well as Marvin XD, is semi-maintained (by me). Both plugins work on iOS devices with iOS versions older than 8.3 (due to changes Apple implemented in newer versions) and the old Marvin (2, red icon).

To make at least Marvin2 work with newer iOS versions, Marvin's developer would have to change quite a few things - which he won't as he released Marvin 3 some time ago.

It wouldn't be hard to make Marvin 3 work nicely with these plugins on iOS newer than 8.3
but, again, the ball is in Kris' field (Marvin's dev) as he would have to make some changes and update a few things - and tell me about it.

None of that seems likely to happen any time soon, though. Until then, I can't do anything to improve the situation.
Totally agreed.

Quote:
Plus: Since buying a Kindle PW3 recently, I'm almost exclusively reading on that so my motivation is not what it once was. Nevertheless, if the situation changes, I'll gladly update the plugins accordingly.
Since buying MapleRead a year ago, I'm almost exclusively reading on that. The app has a very nice integration with Calibre's Content Server.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2016, 05:28 AM   #591
proud_wolf
proud_wolf began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini 4
hi,

i'm facing weird issue:
once plugged my iPad to calibre the 'iOS reader application' plugin is disappearing.
If i'm restarting calibre w/o iPad plugged in - the plugin remains installed

all pre-requirements for the installation are completed (as described in this thread)

Win7 Ent, iPad 4 mini iOS 10.2, Calibre 2.73 x64, Marvin 2.9.1
proud_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:00 AM   #592
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@proud_wolf: Actually, you are missing a prerequisite. You need to use an iOS version older than 8.3.

If you read back through the last few page of this thread, this is pretty obvious. Though not as obvious as a quick look at the first post.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #593
proud_wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@proud_wolf: Actually, you are missing a prerequisite. You need to use an iOS version older than 8.3.
Actually i have read this, but I was not expecting Calibre to be such proactive
This is a bit weird behaviour
Old 12-07-2016, 04:26 AM   #594
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud_wolf View Post
Actually i have read this, but I was not expecting Calibre to be such proactive
This is a bit weird behaviour
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by that. The problem is that Apple changed something in iOS that prevents ANY application from reading data on the device in the way that this plugin needed to. Several people tried to work around it, but no one could find a way to do it. I believe other applications had the same problem.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #595
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@proudwolf Do you mean an ICON disappears from a menu when you connect a device? If so that's because calibre has different menus / toolbars for when there is no device connected and when there is a device connected. See Preferences and add the missing icon to the toolbar used with a device connected.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:18 AM   #596
proud_wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@proudwolf Do you mean an ICON disappears from a menu when you connect a device?
in fact no - the installed plugin disappeared from the calibre. And after that it is available in 'Available to be installed' but not in 'Already installed' plugin section
Old 12-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #597
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud_wolf View Post
in fact no - the installed plugin disappeared from the calibre. And after that it is available in 'Available to be installed' but not in 'Already installed' plugin section
The plugin failed to initialise because the iOS device was connected. Hence calibre couldn't display it as an installed plugin. When you opened calibre without the iOS device connected, it could initialise and was displayed.

In any case, it doesn't matter. The plugin does not work with any iOS version since 8.3. So, it doesn't matter if the plugin is displayed or not. If you can fix it, you will make a lot of people happy.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #598
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Does ANYthing Else Work Like This Used To?

It is obvious that Philantrop is not going to be given the opportunity to, at this point, update his wonderful Marvin plug-in due to uninterest on the part of the Marvin programmer. But I so used to love using Marvin with the plugin and its ability to interface so well with Calibre and IOS. Does any other reader or reader and add-on combo work as Marvin w/Marvin HD used to do? So far I have not found anything as good. Thanks,
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #599
jaxl1200
jaxl1200 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
In my very humble opinion Marvin, even without a working IOS plugin to Calibre, is the best eReader available on IOS. It's a pity there's not an Android version. I recently tried to find an eReader for my sister who had recently bought an Android tablet. I eventually loaded Fbreader, the best I could find, nowhere as good as Marvin though.
Hopefully the IOS plugin for Calibre will eventually be 'fixed' and made available again. Until then I find Marvin's use of Dropbox the easiest way to copy ebooks from a Calibre library to Marvin's library on IOS.
jaxl1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #600
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxl1200 View Post
In my very humble opinion Marvin, even without a working IOS plugin to Calibre, is the best eReader available on IOS. It's a pity there's not an Android version. I recently tried to find an eReader for my sister who had recently bought an Android tablet. I eventually loaded Fbreader, the best I could find, nowhere as good as Marvin though.
Hopefully the IOS plugin for Calibre will eventually be 'fixed' and made available again. Until then I find Marvin's use of Dropbox the easiest way to copy ebooks from a Calibre library to Marvin's library on IOS.
Have you tried calibre companion for ios
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote