Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #16
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocas75 View Post
Classics:

[...]

Novel:
Cormac McCarthy
Antonio Lobo Antunes
Sven Hassel (Second World War novels)
Totally agree with Sven Hassel. Brilliant writing.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Not in any particular order:

Dean Koontz
Greg Isles
Philippa Gregory
Elizabeth Chadwick
Tolkien
George R.R. Martin (if he makes a good comeback and finishes this series)
Jim Butcher

I'm sure I'm forgetting some
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I guess I would choose, Tolkien, Clarke, Herbert, Asimov, King and Murakami.
i read everything king wrote right up until he punked out on the dark tower... after that, not so much.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Not in any particular order:

Dean Koontz
Greg Isles
Philippa Gregory
Elizabeth Chadwick
Tolkien
George R.R. Martin (if he makes a good comeback and finishes this series)
Jim Butcher

I'm sure I'm forgetting some
i loved 'lightning' by koontz, also 'phantoms.'
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
i read everything king wrote right up until he punked out on the dark tower... after that, not so much.

Sadly enough, I read almost everything he wrote except the Dark Tower saga. After 11/22/63 and Under the Dome I'll get into it.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle

Aeschylus - The Oresteia freakin' rocks!
William Shakespeare - Goes without saying
Jonathan Swift - Vicious vicious sense of humor; a Tale of a Tub and Gulliver's travels are his masterpieces.

Franz Kafka - The Trial and the Metamorphosis completely changed my life--but not into bug!
Marcel Proust - In Search of Lost Time is incomparable
James Joyce - Ulysses was magnificent, and Finnegans Wake…there is nothing in the world like Finnegans Wake. It will continue to both confound and excite people for all eternity, i think.

William S. Burroughs - Naked Lunch is just beautiful madness
Harold Pinter - This is the man who first showed me how great theater could really be; Old Times is my favorite play, but I love all of his work.
Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Kafka's Latin bastard son, his works are beautiful and moving and profound. One Hundred Years of Solitude is my favorite.
Jorge Luis Borges - The master of short masterpieces. Labyrinths is a great collection.
Samuel R. Delany - Anyone who can write a book like Dahlgren is a genius in my mind.
Clive Barker - Such a stunning imagination and a brilliant storyteller. Loved Imajica and the Books of Blood.

And last but not least:
Federico Garcia Lorca - My favorite poet. I've never encountered any poet who could so utterly and beautifully describe Longing and Desire and Death ("No one understood the perfume of the dark magnolia of your womb…" "Through the Arch of Elvira, i want to see you go, to feel your thighs, and break into tears" "…her thighs eluded me like startled fish…" "…tomorrow, loves will become stones, and Time a breeze that drowses in the branches…" "I will leave my mouth between your legs, my soul in photographs and lilies, and in the dark wake of your footsteps…")
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
Sadly enough, I read almost everything he wrote except the Dark Tower saga. After 11/22/63 and Under the Dome I'll get into it.
i read under the dome, it was okay... kind his version of jack reacher(who he references in the novel)
Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aecardenas View Post

Aeschylus - The Oresteia freakin' rocks!
William Shakespeare - Goes without saying
Jonathan Swift - Vicious vicious sense of humor; a Tale of a Tub and Gulliver's travels are his masterpieces.

Franz Kafka - The Trial and the Metamorphosis completely changed my life--but not into bug!
Marcel Proust - In Search of Lost Time is incomparable
James Joyce - Ulysses was magnificent, and Finnegans Wake…there is nothing in the world like Finnegans Wake. It will continue to both confound and excite people for all eternity, i think.

William S. Burroughs - Naked Lunch is just beautiful madness
Harold Pinter - This is the man who first showed me how great theater could really be; Old Times is my favorite play, but I love all of his work.
Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Kafka's Latin bastard son, his works are beautiful and moving and profound. One Hundred Years of Solitude is my favorite.
Jorge Luis Borges - The master of short masterpieces. Labyrinths is a great collection.
Samuel R. Delany - Anyone who can write a book like Dahlgren is a genius in my mind.
Clive Barker - Such a stunning imagination and a brilliant storyteller. Loved Imajica and the Books of Blood.

And last but not least:
Federico Garcia Lorca - My favorite poet. I've never encountered any poet who could so utterly and beautifully describe Longing and Desire and Death ("No one understood the perfume of the dark magnolia of your womb…" "Through the Arch of Elvira, i want to see you go, to feel your thighs, and break into tears" "…her thighs eluded me like startled fish…" "…tomorrow, loves will become stones, and Time a breeze that drowses in the branches…" "I will leave my mouth between your legs, my soul in photographs and lilies, and in the dark wake of your footsteps…")
weaveworld and the damnation game are my favorite barker books by far.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
aecardenas
Kafkaesque
aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aecardenas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
weaveworld and the damnation game are my favorite barker books by far.
Yes, those are awesome, too. Actually, the one book of his that I should have mentioned was The Great and Secret Show. Amazing book! Loved it!
aecardenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #25
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have my favourites for different types of books:

China Mieville
Neil Gaiman
Barbara Vine
Neal Stephenson
Robert McCammon
Peter Straub
Elizabeth Hand
Connie Willis

And because I love supporting indies, here's a few authors that are on my must read list:
David Michael
Glen Krisch
Gary A Ballard
Thomas Brookside
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
John Barlow
John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Barlow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
I've just discovered the Icelandic crime writer Arnaldur Indridason. He's quite somber but very clever, and you'll be up half the night finishing one of his books!
John Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #27
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Louis L'Amour
Robert Heinlein
Rex Stout
Andre Norton
David Drake
David Weber
Eric Flint
William Colt MacDonald
Alistair MacLean
Bernard Cornwell
Michael McGarrity
WEB Griffin (The Corp)
Larry Niven
Jerry Pournelle and others I can not think of right at this moment.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
I also have a special place for Alexandre Dumas since he is single-handedly responsible for my love of reading with the 3 musketeers series.
Since you also like SF, you should read The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust (and the sequel 500 Years After). Brust is definitely on my favorite author list.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Nocas75
Nocas75 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Louis L'Amour
Robert Heinlein
Rex Stout
Alistair MacLean
Bernard Cornwell
Oh! I forgot these great authors.

Heinlein is a great science fiction writer and Cornwell is my favourite historical fiction author.

Nocas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #30
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocas75 View Post
Oh! I forgot these great authors.

Heinlein is a great science fiction writer and Cornwell is my favourite historical fiction author.

i thought starship troopers by heinlein was an amazing book.