Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
dschoemaker
Reading Fool
dschoemaker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, 2x Nook Color, NST, IPad 1 & 3
How do I copy my working sdhc card?

As I posted before https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123718 I tried to get Froyo working and couldn't get the market to work. A co-worker finally took pity and got it working, so it boots, have market and really like it all so far.

However, I have some questions and my "source" is unavailable for a while.

1. How do I make a copy of the SDHC card that works? I've bought some market stuff and I want to make sure I can have another card with it on in case I screw something up... but when I use winimage the "new" card with the "old" image on it doesn't boot. I know this is tough, but I did copy the image and got an .ima file, then reburned it onto the new one. Is there a link someone could throw my way?

2. Um... how do I get music on this? I plug it into my computer and it doesn't recognize the SD card (probably because that's the operating card. And if I pull the HD card and put it in a drive on the computer it only takes me to the boot partition which has very limited room for anything.

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ANY HELP.
dschoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
dschoemaker
Reading Fool

I should have noted that the card allows dual booting. I press on the "N" and it goes into Nook, leave it alone and its Froyo Ver 2.2.1, kernel 2.6.29
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
robert23
robert23 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I don't know about winimage, but I backed up my sd card to my Mac using dd and then was able to copy it to a sd (again using dd) and it booted.

When I attach the sd card to my Mac, two partitions are mounted, boot and "sdcard", to which I can copy files.

Last edited by robert23; 03-13-2011 at 11:55 PM.
robert23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoemaker View Post
As I posted before https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123718 I tried to get Froyo working and couldn't get the market to work. A co-worker finally took pity and got it working, so it boots, have market and really like it all so far.

However, I have some questions and my "source" is unavailable for a while.

1. How do I make a copy of the SDHC card that works? I've bought some market stuff and I want to make sure I can have another card with it on in case I screw something up... but when I use winimage the "new" card with the "old" image on it doesn't boot. I know this is tough, but I did copy the image and got an .ima file, then reburned it onto the new one. Is there a link someone could throw my way?

2. Um... how do I get music on this? I plug it into my computer and it doesn't recognize the SD card (probably because that's the operating card. And if I pull the HD card and put it in a drive on the computer it only takes me to the boot partition which has very limited room for anything.

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ANY HELP.
1. Assuming you are on windows, find a Free program called "Win32 Disk Imager" (that is what I use, so it is what I know).

This program is capable of taking a .img file from your PC and writing it to your uSD card, using the WRITE button.

And it can take your uSD card and make it into an .img file on your PC, using the READ button.

All this is when your uSD card is in a USB card reader. If your PC has a built-in card reader, people report that it doesn't work for burning bootable images.

I use this to back up my uSD card installation, in fact I am doing that right now (coincidentally).

2. In order to get something to a uSD card, when you are using it as a bootable card, there are only two possibilites (to my knowledge). One is to access the card using a Linux PC (which I think neither of us has). The other way is install "ADB", a program used to access an Android tablet or phone, when it is hooked up to the PC using a USB wire (the same one that came with your Nook).

Instructions on "ADB" can be found at:

http://nookdevs.com/Portal:NookColor

It is a little bit technical, but if you think you are good at following directions (and you can afford to make mistakes, i.e. not using any of this stuff for anything important later tonight) then it should not be a problem.

(Scroll down to the ADB section, find the install page link, click on that, and then halfway down, at the top of the Windows install, there is a big grey box with another link to a new easier install.)
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
dschoemaker
Reading Fool

Thank you, will try this tonight.

Don
Advert