Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #91
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Would it be at midday? It seems to take all the daylight hours to complete the journey. We could imagine two suns rising, travelling, and setting. At what point would they pass?

Methinks the time has come for TGS to post a full and rational explanation.

please!
I agree. How can you prove it even if it's possible? And how to prove a location? Midday would prove a time but not a location.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #92
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Ok, here's my scientific answer: midday, slightly below midway, and I know because the monk calls me on his droid x and says "Hey, Grace, so I just passed the point I was at exactly at this time a few days ago! cool, eh? I know because I left my Bible here because it was getting too heavy to carry up and I have the passages memorized anyway. Don't forget to bring my other brown cloak and a bell when you pick me up tonight!"

And if I don't answer, he'll swype it to me, and probably get a few words wrong, so I may bring Nell instead, and perhaps some brown coal instead.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #93
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Gracie, I think that you are the winner. Hopefully TGS will get out of bed and confirm it. Cheers
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #94
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Ah, the question was, can you prove that there is a place where the monk is at the same time of day on the way up as on the way down - not to say what that place is. Now, there are mathematical solutions to the problem involving Brouwer's Fixed Point Theorem, which are virtually useless for actually understanding the solution. Much better is to use your intuition - imagine that a monk starts from the bottom of the mountain at sunrise, and another monk starts from the top of the mountain at sunrise. Now you can simply "see" that these two monks will pass each other and, hence, be at the same place on the path at the same time - though you don't know where or when, (but that's not what you are asked). From this you can also simply "see" that if the journeys take place on different days this makes no difference to whether the monks pass the same place at the same time of day.

Hope that helps. Apparently Arthur Koestler is responsible for this puzzle.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #95
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
My answer is no. I can not prove it, he could have dematerialized at some stage.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 PM   #96
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can only prove it with my imagination. Or a mathematical equation. Or a diagram. All require spatial concepts that a mere snake cannot understand.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #97
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Ah, the question was, can you prove that there is a place where the monk is at the same time of day on the way up as on the way down - not to say what that place is. Now, there are mathematical solutions to the problem involving Brouwer's Fixed Point Theorem, which are virtually useless for actually understanding the solution. Much better is to use your intuition - imagine that a monk starts from the bottom of the mountain at sunrise, and another monk starts from the top of the mountain at sunrise. Now you can simply "see" that these two monks will pass each other and, hence, be at the same place on the path at the same time - though you don't know where or when, (but that's not what you are asked). From this you can also simply "see" that if the journeys take place on different days this makes no difference to whether the monks pass the same place at the same time of day.

Hope that helps. Apparently Arthur Koestler is responsible for this puzzle.
I knew it involved math!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 AM   #98
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I knew it involved math!
Well, only in the same way that the question, which of the two letter "A"s bellow is the larger, involves maths:

A A
Old 12-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #99
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

neither! because you have used capitals in your answer choices and a lowercase a in your question! Hee hee My turn!

Which of these numbers does not belong in the following list? :...

1, 4, 7, 9, 11, 14.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #100
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
14 does not belong. All the others have only have only one unique divisor (not including the identity).

1x1=1
2x2=4
7*1=7
3*3=9
11*1=1
7*2=14 X
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 AM   #101
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
14 does not belong. All the others have only have only one unique divisor (not including the identity).

1x1=1
2x2=4
7*1=7
3*3=9
11*1=1
7*2=14 X
That's a good answer, but not the one I was looking for.
it is a lot simpler!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:06 AM   #102
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

To fix you up. How about I ask it again.
only the list =
1, 4, 7, 9, 11, 17.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:07 AM   #103
TGS
Country Member

9? (is too short a post apparently)
Old 12-15-2010, 04:08 AM   #104
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
9? (is too short a post apparently)
Yes 9 is the answer. Do you know why?
Old 12-15-2010, 04:10 AM   #105
TGS
Country Member

Intuitively, with no workings out, it might have something to do with the addition of 3?