Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #91
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Almost finished The Tombs of Atuan.

An improvement on A Wizard of Earthsea but .....something in the way she writes doesn't suit me well. I will continue nonetheless.
I suggest you try Tales from Earthsea next. That has short stories written more recently, and her style has changed over time. Reading those short stories will work fine after Tombs. If you don't care for Tales, you might want to try a different author. Maybe Diana Wynne Jones, if you do like fantasy. If I knew what else you do like, I might be able to make a better recommendation.

Le Guin is not an "action" author in any case, and won't appeal to everyone. I happen to like her quite a bit, but I'm not always in the mood for her stuff either.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #92
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm going to be taking Niven's Building Harlequin's Moon and Allen Steele's Coyote with me on vacation... both paper. I have a few Dr. Who books on my PDA that I haven't read yet. Unfortunately, I know I won't finish them all in a week! (Besides, I'll be spending some of that time writing my next book!)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2007, 05:21 AM   #93
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I suggest you try Tales from Earthsea next. That has short stories written more recently, and her style has changed over time. Reading those short stories will work fine after Tombs. If you don't care for Tales, you might want to try a different author. Maybe Diana Wynne Jones, if you do like fantasy. If I knew what else you do like, I might be able to make a better recommendation.

Le Guin is not an "action" author in any case, and won't appeal to everyone. I happen to like her quite a bit, but I'm not always in the mood for her stuff either.
Thanks

Mostly I read only fantasy. I have a long list of what I would like to read. Earthsea was the next on the list after The Lions of Al-Rassan I just thought that Earthsea belongs to fantasy classics so I have to read it at some point. A friend of mine who liked The Black Company series by Glen Cook (which I really enjoyed), also liked Earthsea and I wanted to give it a try. Unfortunatelly it is not my type. I will finish it anyway. At least the four major books and maybe the fifth as well. They are pretty short. Then I will read The Terror by Dan Simmons, then....maybe I will start reading HP or Perdido Street Station by China Mieville or Anansi Boys/American Gods/Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Then...Robin Hobb, her third and fourth trilogies.

The list is very long for a slow reader like me Probably will take me 2 years to finish everything I said.

P.S. Then there will be Black Man and Ysabel in a new future to read as soon as I can
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #94
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like you would probably like Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series, and I highly recommend Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. If you like contemporary fantasy, I'd recommend Patricia Briggs and maybe Charles de Lint (though he may be a bit slow for you). If you are considering Harry Potter, I would recommend Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy, Diana Wynne Jones, particularly the Chrestomanci books, Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series, and possibly Diane Duane's Young Wizards. You might also like Tamora Pierce's Tortall books.

Since you're not really enjoying Le Guin, I would suggest that you steer away from C.J. Cherryh's fantasy, as well as Patricia McKillip, and Robin McKinley is likely to be chancy for you as well, though you might like The Blue Sword. (These are all authors/books I really liked, but their pace and style more resembles Le Guin than the others I mentioned.)

Happy reading!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #95
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
I'm now reading The Road (mobipocket) by Cormac McCarthy. WOW
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #96
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
I just started "Heart-Shaped Box" by Joe Hill. So far, it's exquisitely creepy, just like his dad's stuff...

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #97
cherdman
Enthusiast

I'm now reading Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds. This is my first Reynolds book and I'll probably be reading Chasm City next. Really good book so far (about 1/3 complete). It's a shame that his other works (Revelation Space) are not available in an Ebook format.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:26 AM   #98
morituri
Enthusiast
morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morituri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air, Kindle PW2, Kindle HD
I'm reading Woken Furies, the last book in Richard Morgans's Takeshi Kovacs trilogy. A bit of cyberpunk, a bit of the Singularity, a lot of action. Each book feels a little bit different, but all have been excellent so far.
morituri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #99
Arek_W
Connoisseur
Arek_W began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, ASUS N636
I have started reading some serious sci-fi classics from Brian Aldiss "Saliva Tree" and than going for Philip K. Dick's books. And just yesterday finished listening to Stephen King's Salem's Lot. First time ever done it and it was very impressive. Have to admit, unabridged audio books are great .
Arek_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #100
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morituri View Post
I'm reading Woken Furies, the last book in Richard Morgans's Takeshi Kovacs trilogy. A bit of cyberpunk, a bit of the Singularity, a lot of action. Each book feels a little bit different, but all have been excellent so far.
I just read the first two of the series within the last month, the first was better than the second but both were pretty good, looking forward to the third. Then I read Blind Shrike by Richard Kadrey and it was a decent quick read, especially for a free book. Last night I just finished the second book in HarryT's Haggard Anthology.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #101
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I just finished Pratchett's Wee Free Men and A Hatful of Sky. I haven't read any other Discworld novels, but I really liked Good Omens. I highly recommend these two books. I'm going to read Wintersmith next.

And, for the record, it was the online ads for Wintersmith at ebook stores that got me thinking about reading these books!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:30 AM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Currently, I'm reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #103
cherdman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Currently, I'm reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Same here. I'm half-way done. I'm liking it.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #104
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
A couple of days ago I finally finished 5 books Earthsea. Definitely it is not my cup of tea. Let alone Tihanu was a bit too feministic for my liking...

Started The Terror by Dan Simmons.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #105
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Now that HP's done I'm back to Cherryh's 'Company Wars' and then back to Steve Jordan.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote