Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #46
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Gotta love the nonsense T-shirts.
Once I saw a T-shirt on a girl that said "I spread legs wide" so feeling some solidarity with this girl I had some T-shirts made that said 変態外人, now guess who got all the looks?
I don't speak Japanese, but I can't help noticing that the last character is suggestive.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #47
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The last character just means person. But I can see where you're coming from.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #48
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima Bean View Post
An ebook can't easily be passed around to friends and family,
Actually, this cuts both ways - it is much easier for me to share a book with my sister in another state through Amazon than it ever would be with paper. And if your family is on your account, it is even better. Particularly if you are one of those families who bought 4 hardcover Harry Potters (mom, dad, two kids) when they new one was released.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #49
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
(...) started yelling at her to get up from the ground, calling her all kinds of names (my vocabulary expanded considerably that day) and then he started kicking her . Now there was a shocker. Getting some laughs, great. Having people kicked at because of those laughs, not a pleasant experience.I asked my boyfriend, and he said that he tried to tell me.
That reading was (for me) a cultural shock as maxed out as possible. What mostly goes beyond my comprehension is, that your boyfriend wasn't as it seems (since you haven't hinted nothing in this direction) neither surprised or disgusted, nor willing to go between. As if kicking somebody who's lying on the ground (and if that isn't enough - a woman!) were a proper justifiable reaction of the other guy.
All this + the fact that the opinion about Japanese in general is that they are cultivated and honorable.
Being honest - my first tought reading that was "I want a barf bag."
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #50
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Japanese tend to avoid confrontation at any cost, and the kicking guy wasn't putting any power into the kicks. Yet, the embarrassment he felt over his laughing girlfriend was indeed a cultural shock. The traditional Japanese divorce letter is called mikudarihan it means three and a half line. A letter to the bride's father informing him that his daughter is returned, no explanation required. Hence, males have a certain proprietorship over females, for some that thinking lingers on.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #51
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Hence, males have a certain proprietorship over females, for some that thinking lingers on.
Wait a minute... Does this mean we don't?!?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #52
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Wait a minute... Does this mean we don't?!?

Stitchawl
If you live in Gion I would say that their is a certain probability that you do.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:23 AM   #53
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you live in Gion I would say that their is a certain probability that you do.
I couldn't live there. I'm the same way with roast chicken; leg or breast. Never the neck.

Stitchawl
Old 11-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #54
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I guess you haven't truly assimilated yet.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #55
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I guess you haven't truly assimilated yet.
If I were to live here for the next 100 years, I'd still be an outsider... I've lived here for 25 years, been married to a Japanese woman for 18 years, spend plenty of time with all the in-laws, party with Japanese friends, etc., etc., etc. I feel completely welcomed, totally like 'family,' but I'll always be an outsider...

Stitchawl
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #56
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
That reading was (for me) a cultural shock as maxed out as possible. ...
Is this really a matter of other cultures? I don't wanna defend these two Japanese men, but before judging about them too harshly: would you really walk proudly through your hometown with your girlfriend or wife next by your side and she's wearing a t-shirt saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
... it loosely translates to Perverted Gaijin (foreigner).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #57
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Is this really a matter of other cultures? I don't wanna defend these two Japanese men, but before judging about them too harshly: would you really walk proudly through your hometown with your girlfriend or wife next by your side and she's wearing a t-shirt saying:
Billi, unless I'm mistaken, the one who was doing all the laughing was a woman, not a man...

Stitchawl
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #58
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, I know, but the strong reactions came from men and I wanted to raise a little bit of understanding for them.
And I can ask my question to you too: would you find it a terrible funny idea if your wife wears such a t-shirt when walking with you through the town, be it in Japan or in the US?

(I'm not talking about all the silly t-shirts we had when we were giggling 16. I thought this was about grown-ups here.)
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #59
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I was 19 at the time, if that is what you're asking. My boyfriend was 21, if that it's pertinent.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #60
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Yes, I know, but the strong reactions came from men and I wanted to raise a little bit of understanding for them.
And I can ask my question to you too: would you find it a terrible funny idea if your wife wears such a t-shirt when walking with you through the town, be it in Japan or in the US?

(I'm not talking about all the silly t-shirts we had when we were giggling 16. I thought this was about grown-ups here.)
In many ways we don't become grown-ups until we are in our 30's or 40's. When I was 21, I probably would have bought it for her. Now at at few weeks shy of 66, no, I wouldn't. But at 66 I wouldn't think to enlist in the Military during a time of war as I did when I was 20, thinking I could make a difference... We live...we learn... hopefully we grow.

Stitchawl