Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #31
Delotte231
Connoisseur
Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Delotte231 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I'm interested by this keyboard case idea. I gather you are happy with it?
I am worried about the keyboard case actually damaging the screen. I have seen a lot of it but I don't think it is as useful as they make it out to be. When I know I will need a keyboard with me, I carry a bluetooth one about the same size as my slingbag's internal width. It's wide enough to type, and portable enough since it stays in one of my bag's sleeves.
Delotte231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #32
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The iPad sits up on little risers so even when stowed, it doesn't actually touch the keyboard part. It's actually quite ingenious. My aunt had one (and broke it---she is rough on her gadgets) and just replaced it with a smart cover and bluetooth keyboard. I like that mine is a case too, and I like that I don't have to strap it into this big, complicated thing. I can pull it out and just use it solo if I don't want to type.

I did look at Notability. It's not drawings so much as photos that interest me. For instance, I had the iPad with me when staying at a hotel with a family member, and it was the only device I had that would work with the hotel's wifi. So I used the iPad as a camera during the visit so I could email the photos to other family members. And then when I was writing in my journal app about the visit, I wanted to pop in the photos...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 AM   #33
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
You can add photos in Notability. I think it handles that pretty well. The feature is hidden under the plus button on the bottom left of the screen. You can add a photo from your album or take one and insert it in the note, then you can add a caption, resize, crop, and even draw on the image. No rotating apparently. The neat part is that the typed text wraps around the image, and it will adjust if you move it around.

That said, I have never found a use for Notability myself...
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #34
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
... especially since I got my keyboard case. I
Which keyboard case, ficbot? I've been looking them over but since so many are coming on the market, I freeze and can't make a decision. I'd be interested to hear. I currently have my original keyboard dock that I bought when I bought my first iPad. But its not portable by any means, and tbh, its awkward, always typing in portrait mode, and having to take the back of the case off, so it will fit.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #35
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Logitech keyboard case
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #36
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Logitech keyboard case
Thanks
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #37
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
iA writer app gets my vote, hardly any options (practically none) very freeing.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #38
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iAwriter is very good for typing text, the interface is perfect for that. I think it can be very useful for people who write a lot on their iThingie. I tried it for a while but uninstalled it because I don't have that much use for it, and because it seemed to react rather badly when it tries to synchronize and there is no Internet connection. This is a problem for me because I do much of my note taking on the underground train where there is no 3G.

I got an alert this morning that JuneCloud Notefile is on sale. I am torn because I really love how the app looks, from the screen copies, but on the other hand I don't need another note app, I have too many already! From what I can see it is similar to SimpleNotes, but with a better looking UI. You can take and synch notes between iThingies, Mac or Windows PC, and there is a web app too (very important for me).
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #39
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I don't think I will buy Notefile after all. It does look good, but it has no way to organize notes (folders or tags) from what I can see.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #40
zorah
Enthusiast
zorah is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad; iPhone; Asus T91MT; Kindle Touch
I have several that offer both text and handwriting and for me ended up being a waste of money as I just don't find handwriting that efficient. I even have annotation apps and annotate things in PDF and jot notes, but even find that it distorts my letters, so while I love the idea of handwriting, it's not a smooth enough operation for me just yet. So I just use text input and at this point I use Docs to Go. (I don't have the Premium version). It has a word processing part and I use the 2 way synchronizing between desktop and iPad. (it works on both my phone and iPad). I use either the virtual keyboard itself to type, or my Dexim Bluetooth keyboard which sounds like the Logitech one described. It functions as a case also and holds the iPad in the case making the whole thing resemble a netbook. I use the BT case if I'm at a seminar. At home I often will just type with the virtual keyboard.
zorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #41
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hmm shame you had issues with iA, can you not just save it to the device? 3g or wifi isnt needed for that.

Junecloud does indeed have a better interface but its too pricey for me. I wish iA writer had a couple more customisation options but that goes against the apps reason for being.

ta
Old 09-07-2012, 05:17 AM   #42
peterwardgd
Addict

-----
Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #43
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Well, I liked iA's interface for writing but I don't write that much, mostly I type very short notes that I like to organize in folders and sub-folders, and most of them are things to do so I like to be able to check them off and manage a to-do list. So iA didn't really fulfill my requirements. I could have kept it and disabled syncing, but it wasn't really worth it for me.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #44
Girlfriend911
Girlfriend911 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I love Evernote.

Last edited by Girlfriend911; 09-07-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typo
Girlfriend911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #45
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlfriend911 View Post
I love Evernote.

Me too.. It is very cool and nice app but i would to try other app!
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote