Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #16
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
I got mine and the only thing that I can't seem to work out yet is the read while charging option. Is that option available and if so what am I doing wrong.

Otherwise I LOVE IT!
i'd hope it was like the wifi model where once plugged in both options popped up on screen and you selected to manage library or continue reading?
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #17
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
So that means the black flash occurs every six pages? Partial refresh to me is a turnoff, but everything else about the device sounds great so far.
Same here. The tradeoff is ghosting. I would rather have the black page refresh every turn instead of ghosting. Like the Nook2 this may be a deal breaker, but we shall see.

I witnessed the ghosting on an N2 at BN. It was very annoying.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
i'd hope it was like the wifi model where once plugged in both options popped up on screen and you selected to manage library or continue reading?

Nope, no options when you plug it in either to a computer, or directly into a power source
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #19
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Same here. The tradeoff is ghosting. I would rather have the black page refresh every turn instead of ghosting. Like the Nook2 this may be a deal breaker, but we shall see.
Please let us know how you find the ghosting as you continue to use the ereader. Ghosting is something that annoys me a fair bit, but I'd also rather have a black flash every page turn than a black flash once every few pages. (I don't mind the black flash usually.)

Has anybody tested the dictionary on sideloaded EPUBs yet? I was reading through the manual because I'm a giant nerd and this caught my eye:

Quote:
Using the dictionary
Note: The dictionary is only available when you read books from the Kobo Store. Books
from other sources (and books you add to your eReader using Adobe Digital Editions) will
not offer the dictionary.
This brought to mind a post made by Dedale:

Quote:
To let you know the answer to your questions; the dictionary will work for both kepubs and epubs.
Is there a discrepancy here? When CS mentioned EPUB in Dedale's post, I took it to mean EPUBs from any source. By books from the Kobo Store, do they include sideloaded EPUBs bought from Kobo? Is the Touch firmware like the old firmwares in supporting dictionaries only with KEPUBs? Is the Touch manual outdated and the Touch firmware the very latest before the release date? Is the dictionary feature going to be expanded in soon-to-be-released firmware? Do I ask too many questions? Well, at least I know the answer to this one...
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #20
darkhatreader
darkhatreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post

I witnessed the ghosting on an N2 at BN. It was very annoying.
Can you explain this ghosting? Do you mean during the page transition or after?
darkhatreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #21
galaxyw
galaxyw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Got some questions regarding this new reader:

Does kobo touch support txt files?

If it does, does it also support foreign language like Chinese.

Thx!
galaxyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #22
qwiggles
qwiggles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hey there's a web browser! Not that it's a big deal, but nice to see.
qwiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #23
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
The ghosting is very minimal to be honest. It hasn't been bothering me at all and I don't even really notice it except when I'm looking for it. However, I do hope that Kobo decides to include an option for adjusting this in a firmware update. As for the dictionary support, I cannot get it to bring up the menu for either highlighting or dictionary on a sideloaded epub. It works fine on the preview books that came preloaded on the device, so it looks like as of now this feature is limited to books purchased from Kobo. Also, as noted by qwiggles there is indeed a web browser built in (hidden within the wireless connection menu). The browser is in beta and is rather slow, but it is great to see Kobo implementing new features.
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #24
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyw View Post
Got some questions regarding this new reader:

Does kobo touch support txt files?

If it does, does it also support foreign language like Chinese.

Thx!
on the kobo site it says it supports

Books: EPUB, PDF and MOBI
Documents: PDF
Text: TXT, HTML and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR

http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_tech
Old 06-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
siraks
use the force

my reader has been syncing for 5-10 minutes now and still no progress....hmmm?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #26
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Please let us know how you find the ghosting as you continue to use the ereader. Ghosting is something that annoys me a fair bit, but I'd also rather have a black flash every page turn than a black flash once every few pages. (I don't mind the black flash usually.)

Has anybody tested the dictionary on sideloaded EPUBs yet? I was reading through the manual because I'm a giant nerd and this caught my eye:

This brought to mind a post made by Dedale:

Is there a discrepancy here? When CS mentioned EPUB in Dedale's post, I took it to mean EPUBs from any source. By books from the Kobo Store, do they include sideloaded EPUBs bought from Kobo? Is the Touch firmware like the old firmwares in supporting dictionaries only with KEPUBs? Is the Touch manual outdated and the Touch firmware the very latest before the release date? Is the dictionary feature going to be expanded in soon-to-be-released firmware? Do I ask too many questions? Well, at least I know the answer to this one...
I will buy a microsd card with different scenarios, with some pdf, epub with notes, epub with embedded font and cbz and will then make my tests!
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #27
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
on the kobo site it says it supports

Books: EPUB, PDF and MOBI
Documents: PDF
Text: TXT, HTML and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR

http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_tech
Good to know that they're supporting MOBI. At least if I buy another Kobo I won't have to convert my books...again.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #28
siraks
use the force

Quote:
my reader has been syncing for 5-10 minutes now and still no progress....hmmm?
got it, was trying to use the old software, there's a new setup to download from

http://kobosetup.com

my bad, got it going now.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #29
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhatreader View Post
Can you explain this ghosting? Do you mean during the page transition or after?
You will see a light "ghosting" text image of the previous page underneath the current page you are reading. It will disappear with each new refresh. The problem is, like the Nook 2, the kobo apparently refreshs every 5 or 6 pages now.(so you dont see the black refreshing with every page turn.)

Some people see it on the n2 some dont. Some say it doesnt bother them, some people say it does. I witnessed it on the N2 and it was very distracting. I have a feeling the kobo will be the same.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #30
siraks
use the force

pretty cool, after my kobo setup was complete i got an email with at $10 gift coupon to use at the kobo store. awesome.