Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
A point that may be of interest...

Here in Somerset, the council saw the library service as a soft target, and put in train a swathe of cuts to libraries, hours, staff, the lot.
Then an eagle-eyed objector spotted a legal requirement on the council, to provide a satisfactory full service.
At considerable cost/risk, and a large protest movement in papers and media. a group formed to take the Council to court.
They won, and the authority has withdrawn plans, even suggested it will expand some features.
The People won, the "representatives" bowed to the result.
A lot of verysharp eyes now will be making sure they don't try it again.
I can remember all too well when they tried to actually close down the Adelaide City library - the politicians didn't know what had hit them. They have never tried to do this again!
And don't worry HarryT, Adelaide is a wealthy city thanks to enormous state mining royalties so they really can't cry poor or cut other services - perhaps they could cut their lavish entertaining! But I take your point with other parts of the world. However for many elderly people books are one of the few pleasures and interests they can still enjoy.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I guess the thousands of out of copyright books that can be downloaded onto an e-reader for free from places like Mobile Read just would not work for her.
There's a good chance they wouldn't. A lot of people with those sorts of reading habits are only interested in one type of setting: contemporary. It's alright if there are ghosts, monsters, impossible inventions or mental illnesses that don't remotely exist in reality, but if it's more than ten years in the past or future and not by a favored, still-publishing author, no thanks.

Last edited by taosaur; 01-07-2012 at 08:45 PM.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #18
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, of course they are, but so are lots of other things. If the council has to cut its budget, the library service has to take its share of cutbacks along with everything else.
I can't speak for that library system, but I've found that the types of services that some libraries provide are more important during economic crunches than they are when the city is prospering. To offer a few:
  • Offering literacy programs than those offered to children in school
  • Offering literacy and ESL instruction to adults
  • Offering human, printed, and online resources for job seekers
  • Offering business databases and international news to businesses
  • Offering a safe place for the homeless

These are, of course, important at all times. But they are even more important when schools and adult education programs are unable to keep up with increasing demand. They are even more important when people are looking for work or small businesses are struggling to survive.

Now there are bplaces that libraries, like any business or government service, can cut back. Yet I have found that budget cuts tend to be about eliminating services rather than finding efficiencies. And when you're cutting services, you have to be very careful since you don't want to make the problems worse.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I still don't have an ereader or a tablet. When I need one, I'll buy one.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My local library has a lukewarm ebook selection, but keeps buying kindles with 75 current books preloaded. These are constantly on loan, and hopefully, it will mean that the ebook selection is expanded. I haven't set foot in a library in years, except to get a library card or pick up a knitting book. Since I was recently kicked out of CPL (not me personally, just all reciprocal borrowers) that means I will only be using my local library's anemic ebook offerings.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert