Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #1
sereniteit
sereniteit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
questions on Kindle 3

Hi all,

I have ordered a Kindle 3G and I am awaiting its arrival.

I have a few questions which I hope you can help me with...

* I have a great number of pocket books in PDF format. I know that Kindle can handle PDF.
Is it useful to convert the PDF files to .mobi (with calibre) beforehand or is the PDF format sufficiently well handled?

* Same question for HTML, Word, etc. formats. Better to convert or is it OK to view them in Kindle in the native format?

* I have read that outside the US (I am in Flanders, Europe) the Kindle browser can only access the Amazon shop site and Wikipedia. However, is that also true when one is accessing the internet via the own home wifi connection?

* Any chance of turning DRM protected epub books into .mobi?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
sereniteit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sereniteit View Post
* I have a great number of pocket books in PDF format. I know that Kindle can handle PDF.
Is it useful to convert the PDF files to .mobi (with calibre) beforehand or is the PDF format sufficiently well handled?
The problem with most PDF documents is that they are formatted for a page size much larger than the Kindle 3's screen. The Kindle does not support PDF reflow, meaning that the page will probably be too small to view without zooming in and panning around it, which really doesn't work terribly well. Generally speaking, PDF is an extremely poor choice of format for eBooks.

Quote:
* Same question for HTML, Word, etc. formats. Better to convert or is it OK to view them in Kindle in the native format?
The Kindle cannot display these in their native format; you'll have to convert them.

Quote:
* I have read that outside the US (I am in Flanders, Europe) the Kindle browser can only access the Amazon shop site and Wikipedia. However, is that also true when one is accessing the internet via the own home wifi connection?
Whether or not you get full web access depends on which country your Kindle is registered in. Eg, in the UK we do have full web access. I think, though, you'll find that web browsing on the Kindle is not a very rewarding experience; eInk screens, with their slow refresh rate, are far from ideal for the purpose. If you're connected via WiFi you'll have full web access no matter where you are.

Quote:
Yes, there are tools which will do it. However, we have a site policy of not providing detailed assistance with DRM removal. Google for "Apprentice Alf's Blog" and you'll find all the information you need.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sereniteit View Post
Hi all,

I have ordered a Kindle 3G and I am awaiting its arrival.

I have a few questions which I hope you can help me with...

Thanks in advance for your answers!
1: I'd say it's generally better to convert to mobi, since PDF won't reflow. So all to often I find the PDFs hard to read. But on the other hand not all PDFs will convert and still look good. So it's a bit of a hit and miss. But I say try. Because if it works it's a better experience.

2: Here you have to. The Kindle won't display those formats. So you have no choice but to convert them.

3: I don't have the 3G version. But I do live in Europe (Sweden) and can tell you that there is no problem going to other sites with the Wifi-version. So shouldn't be a problem for you either.

4: Not really discussed on this forum... But short answer yes. You'll have to look other places for tutorials though.

[edit]
Darn, I was just a little to slow. I need to write faster...
[/edit]

Last edited by RexGalore; 01-05-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Too slow...
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

@HarryT, your answer serves me as well

@sereniteit, last time I checked, we still don't have a government, but Flanders still isn't a country. ^^
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
sereniteit
sereniteit began at the beginning.

Thank you all for your answers! It helps a lot!

@NoWorthWhile:
I did not say Flanders was a country. If I had said I was from Wales, Bavaria, Siberia, ... would you also have reacted stating it was not a country? So please don't use this double standard...
sereniteit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Lol, it was just a joke on our (stupid) country ^^ Chill out, as I'm in Flanders as well ^^
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Regarding HTML ...

In fact, you can read HTML files on a Kindle. You just need to change the extension to TXT. Not all HTML features are supported, but - depending on the quality of the original - it's not a bad reading experience.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, Mike - I didn't know that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I learned that html can display when the extention is changed to TXT. I was able to use a "homepage" I created for my Blackberry on the kindle with a number of mobile site links. Why Amazon can't just fix that issue is beyond me. I mean, if it can display it (and links work) then why not just tweak the code to handle its true file type. I guess it is another experimental feature.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
mayoi
mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.mayoi writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2 and K3 Kindles, TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I mean, if it can display it (and links work) then why not just tweak the code to handle its true file type. I guess it is another experimental feature.
Good to know that about the links. I'm new to the Kindle.
mayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Yup, just checked again. I opened my "blackberry" home page on the k3. I 5-way-ed to a link to Compuserve email and when I clicked on the link, it opened the browser and went to that page.

I have my "html" "books" in my Non-fiction collection.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I've used the HTML / TXT trick to download HTML books from Guthenberg for reading on my Kindle. Works pretty well, with all the basic formatting retained.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote