Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-26-2016, 01:38 AM   #421
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd go for KFC (Kindle Format Crap) so the modbot will think you are talking about chicken.
Kindle Format Cì (10 in the Bai language). Except it's pronounced tsɛ, with a short 'e' like in "meh".
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:15 AM   #422
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
Kindle Format Cì (10 in the Bai language). Except it's pronounced tsɛ, with a short 'e' like in "meh".
Nope, that's not the chicken chain. has to be KFC or it won't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #423
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Update: Now released.
Cool! As I've mentioned, I'm not that interested in converting to KFX, but I am very interested in supporting any development to deconstruct and understand KFX.

I should have more free time in a couple weeks. If there are any specific tests you'd like me to run on my Mac with your new KFX plug-in, please let me know. Happy to help.

Thanks again, jhowell, for all the time and effort you've put into understanding KFX. :
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #424
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
No takers until now. (Thanks for the offer odamizu.)

At this point I have decided to just release the plugin and deal with problems as they come up. It will take a day or so to get it ready.

Update: Now released.
It's not working. It crashed java on my Win7 laptop.

I can't find the calibre log file, or I would have posted it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:53 PM   #425
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
If there are any specific tests you'd like me to run on my Mac with your new KFX plug-in, please let me know. Happy to help.
Thanks for the offer. At this point I'll just wait and see whether any Mac users report problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It's not working. It crashed java on my Win7 laptop.
I have added a post to the plugin thread that discusses conversion errors and describes how to capture the error log.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #426
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Thanks for the offer. At this point I'll just wait and see whether any Mac users report problems.

I have added a post to the plugin thread that discusses conversion errors and describes how to capture the error log.
I posted a copy of my log in that thread.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #427
Archibald Yates
Archibald Yates began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th. gen., Kindle Oasis 8th. gen., Kindle Touch
Excuse me for bursting into a thread I have not nearly half enough technical knowledge to provide anything useful to.

I have just discovered that some of the e-ink Kindles got a software update and, unlike with software updates before, this:

Quote:
In accordance with certain free and open source software licenses, Amazon is pleased to offer an archive file of source code for this software update.
You can find a link to these archive files here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201630670

Maybe you can find something useful amongst it.
Archibald Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #428
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald Yates View Post
I have just discovered that some of the e-ink Kindles got a software update and, unlike with software updates before, this: ...
Thanks for the heads-up about the new firmware release.

Amazon is obligated to release source code for some of the open-source software that they use. They do it for each Kindle firmware release. The master list is here.

It doesn't include anything proprietary to Amazon, such as KFX rendering.

Last edited by jhowell; 04-11-2016 at 12:55 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:40 AM   #429
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Since I have a couple times posted here about having my posts blocked on the KDP forum whenever I mention KFX, I should add that the ban seems to have been lifted. Not only was KFX in the title of the thread, but I was able to use the acronym in my reply to it.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #430
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I find it really curious that on the Kindle product pages it doesn't list KFX at all. Under supported formats, it lists: Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC — but it's like KFX doesn't exist
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #431
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I find it really curious that on the Kindle product pages it doesn't list KFX at all. Under supported formats, it lists: Kindle Format 8 (AZW3), Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC — but it's like KFX doesn't exist
I would expect them to list it when it can be created, i.e. when Kindle Previewer 3.0 is released.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:12 AM   #432
AaronShep
Connoisseur
AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.AaronShep could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would expect them to list it when it can be created, i.e. when Kindle Previewer 3.0 is released.
I doubt it will ever be an accepted format for submission, because the intent is to reconvert source files to KFX whenever that format or Enhanced Typesetting is updated. Converting from KFX itself would only complicate things.
AaronShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:22 AM   #433
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Actually I believe the intent is to somehow untie and disconnect the relationship with ePub. Today KF8 is nothing more than a compiled version of ePub and I believe KF10, rather KFX, is a new format pioneered with AZK and a plan to convert from XHTML to JSON format.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #434
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Actually, KF8 is more than just a compiled version of epub as it actually starts the process used in AZK and KFX of extracting sections of text (fragments) from the remaining (mainly common) pieces of the html page (the skeleton) and then these fragments can be loaded on demand using javascript to create a page for azk. Kindleunpack simply reinserts all of these fragments back into their skeletons, recreates the internal and external links, re-inserts extracted svg, rebuilds the ncx, and etc all to make a KF8 look like an epub2 (or in the case of fixed format and epub3).

But once you get to the concept of a base skeleton with fragments inserted (used in the AZK) it is not much of a step to pre-style the fragments, record their relative positioning and create a completely standard single skeleton, and then tokenize to speed processing and save space.

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #435
rkatiyar1
rkatiyar1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle reader
kfx format
rkatiyar1 is offline   Reply With Quote