Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide View Post
Well, at least these people don't apply an abusive Euro-Dollar exchange rate

See here:

http://www.ectaco.com.es/products/ECTACO-jetBook/
No need. The price itself is abusive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #32
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
The Kindle comparison has similar untruths. As for the weight, yeah, it's lighter. The screen is also an inch smaller. I don't get why they didn't put in a screen at least the size of the competition. It's not like LCDs are horribly expensive. They might not do too badly with this product if they priced it competitively and gave people something they really want: a bigger screen.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #33
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It actually does look pretty good... and it has some unique features like translations. But, I would need to see if the screen compares to an eInk screen. They claim it looks better than eInk and the batter life is better than Sony's reader. I wish they gave a 30day money back... I might order it just to try/review it. Perhaps Natch or someone can get a demo, review unit.

And .txt isn't bad... would be about the same as RTF right. Espesially if you can control the font via the reader rather than embedding font commands in the RTF.

BOb
As I said above, I have an OEM version. Yes, the screen is as good as Eink. In some ways it is better than the screen on my Kindle (or the 500 I used to have). In the end it would come down to personal preference.

P.S. In the email, they offered to let me buy one to review, and they would let me return it in less than 30 days. I'm not interested because the device isn't enough better than the one I have.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
The Kindle comparison has similar untruths. As for the weight, yeah, it's lighter. The screen is also an inch smaller. I don't get why they didn't put in a screen at least the size of the competition. It's not like LCDs are horribly expensive. They might not do too badly with this product if they priced it competitively and gave people something they really want: a bigger screen.
Feel free to point out what they got wrong about the Kindle. I'm sure they fudged things there just like for the 505.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #35
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

So, Nate, does their claim about battery life hold up? They say it'll get 11,500 page turns on a charge compared to 7,500 for the Sony and Kindle.
Advert
Old 03-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
So, Nate, does their claim about battery life hold up? They say it'll get 11,500 page turns on a charge compared to 7,500 for the Sony and Kindle.
I think it's an exaggeration. But I don't know for sure because I haven't tried to run down the battery.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #37
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Feel free to point out what they got wrong about the Kindle. I'm sure they fudged things there just like for the 505.
Well to start with there's the same blurb about page turning for both Sony and Kindle which isn't true in either case:
"1-1.5 sec page turning time ( screen update) through black and white "splash" on the screen. After 40-50 pages of reading eyes get tired due to this effect. Number of artifacts from the previous page left on the next page, causing "dirty" marks."
Then they say there's no justification setting when there is.

Like Sony, they say you can only get books through the proprietary store when there are vast sources of books available free and for purchase just like the Jetbook.

They list the mp3 player, but not that it has Audible support.

All in all, it seems the treatment of Kindle was pretty much the same as Sony.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Basically, they botched the comparison and provided lots of 1/2 truths and mis-truths by either being wrong or sin of omission. I think what they are trying to do is sell an inferior product and trying to make it look better then two superior products.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #39
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
@Nate
When they say "Reflective LCD" do you know if they mean Cholesteric LCD (ChLCD)? It might explain the price if that's the case.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
@Nate
When they say "Reflective LCD" do you know if they mean Cholesteric LCD (ChLCD)? It might explain the price if that's the case.
I think "reflective" means it is NOT backlight. It states that it is a TFT screen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #41
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I finally found the info we had. This is the screen:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=m218a
Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #42
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I finally found the info we had. This is the screen:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=m218a
thanks for the link. I have added this to the wiki as reflective LCD. By the way a reflective display is also the technology used on the OLPC project.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #43
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
[QUOTE=Nate the great;164136]I got a reply from Ectaco. The Jetbook supports PDF, TXT, GIF, JPG, MP3. They are working on an ebook format. I replied with a suggestion that they add FBReader.
QUOTE]

But how WELL does it support pdf, is my question. I have tried the Palm TX, the Sony, etc. To date, the best pdf support I have found in a mobile device (for standard pdf's distilled for the desktop) is the nokia n810. It's small enough to carry around easily, and desktop-sized pdf's are very legible on it. Plays movies well, too. Wish it would read .chm's without decompiling.

Sort of annoying- carry a clunky laptop around, and you are able to watch movies, read pdf's, connect to the net. Can't do all of this with just one of the smaller devices.....

I am still very disappointed with the Sony reader's "pdf support." When are they going to fix this problem? I bought deskUNPDF, but conversion to .lrf with this software still has formatting problems....
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #44
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

[QUOTE=wgrimm;164456]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I got a reply from Ectaco. The Jetbook supports PDF, TXT, GIF, JPG, MP3. They are working on an ebook format. I replied with a suggestion that they add FBReader.
QUOTE]

But how WELL does it support pdf, is my question. I have tried the Palm TX, the Sony, etc. To date, the best pdf support I have found in a mobile device (for standard pdf's distilled for the desktop) is the nokia n810. It's small enough to carry around easily, and desktop-sized pdf's are very legible on it. Plays movies well, too. Wish it would read .chm's without decompiling.

Sort of annoying- carry a clunky laptop around, and you are able to watch movies, read pdf's, connect to the net. Can't do all of this with just one of the smaller devices.....

I am still very disappointed with the Sony reader's "pdf support." When are they going to fix this problem? I bought deskUNPDF, but conversion to .lrf with this software still has formatting problems....
The PDF support is pretty good. I've already posted my opinion. Look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...st+impressions
Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Another thing that looks nice on this device, after reading the manual is the file maintenance. From the device you can copy files from the SD card to the internal memory, you can rename files, and you can delete them. That's pretty sweet.

This actually seems like a pretty good device. If only they supported Mobi files. Although, getting LIT and converting is still an option.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-book reader, ectaco, jetbook, lcd