Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
RobertB12
RobertB12 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite issue that is driving me crazy

Alright I've searched online for hours to see if anyone has the issue I am having and ultimately its just making me feel like I am crazy. Regardless of the font or text size there are certain words or even paragraphs that are clearly bolder than the rest of the text on the page. There is no uniformity to any one page. Sometimes it might just be a word but usually its just one sentence that is much darker than the rest of the text. I compared it to my kindle touch and the contrast is so much better on my touch I'm just not even sure if I want to keep the paperwhite. I called amazon up and they sent a replacement out asap and its having the same issue but the replacement they sent has horrible lighting issues. Does anyone have any insight they can offer? I feel like I am the only one person who is having this problem.
RobertB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
This has been previously mentioned in other threads the past couple of weeks. The only occasion where I have seen this is once in awhile after using the dictionary and returning to the page. A quick select/deselect of the menu, or page back/page forward refreshes the page and font. I have never seen this occur when simply reading and turning pages.

I suggest you do a search within this sub-forum -- there are many, many posts on lighting issues. Starting another duplicate thread is not necessary.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-21-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

All three Paperwhites I tried had the text contrast/rendering inconsistency to one degree or another. The first one was really bad much like you describe. It occurred on nearly every page. The other two also had it but not as bad and mostly after a popup window was displayed. None of the PWs I tried came close to the quality of text rendering on my Touch. I returned all three PWs because of the poor text and the blotches and discolorations.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Robert, as jswinden mentioned, you are not alone with problems of bad font rendering. Conceivably Amazon could fix the font issue with a firmware update, but it may take awhile as they are probably placing all their efforts right now trying to fix the hardware. Unfortunately, the only option available at present is to return your PW to Amazon and wait for fixes.

By the way, welcome to MR and thanks for starting a thread specifically about the font problem

Last edited by JoHunt; 10-22-2012 at 03:11 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I've definitely noticed this issue, though it for me it usually disappears after I do a page refresh. I'm not convinced that it's a software issue instead of a hardware issue, but if it is I imagine they should be able to fix it pretty quickly because I would think the software team is different than the hardware team trying to fix uneven lighting, blotchiness, etc.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
This has been an issue to some degree on both of mine as well.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
I've seen this issue as well on my Paperwhite, almost always after I've brought up some popup (light change, dictionary, etc.). Paging back and forward clears it without issue. I haven't noticed it during simple page turning, so it hasn't been a deal breaker. Hopefully it will be cleared up in a firmware update.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I noticed this in the first book I read on my PW. I haven't come across it since.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #9
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I have a Kindle 3G Keyboard. A few days ago I was reading a book. I was about half way through when I noticed the contrast changed from black to gray. This continued for about 20/25 page turns, then it reverted back to the usual black print. However, it hasn't happened since.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote