Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #1006
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Can't wait to finish a page now just to see how fast the page turns.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #1007
DaMastah
DaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it isDaMastah knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
All this talk of 2.1.1 and the success people are having with manually installing brings me back to one question: If it is such a great firmware with significant improvements over 2.0.0, why hasn't it been widely released yet? As far as I know it was only released in Japan. I know nothing of software/firmware development and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.
I wonder too.... Maybe someone from Kobo can explain us.
Really it makes no sense : the hardware is the same, releases should be coordinated.
DaMastah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #1008
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
why hasn't it been widely released yet? As far as I know it was only released in Japan.
Guinea pigs perhaps? If there's no hue and cry from Japan, maybe it's OK for North America.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #1009
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Guinea pigs perhaps? If there's no hue and cry from Japan, maybe it's OK for North America.

ltr
Maybe it's OK for English and Japanese but diacritics support is still botched.
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #1010
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
2.1.1 doesn't work for all Touch's. Like mine.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #1011
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post

ltr
Even if that was the case it should have been rolled out by now to North America/Europe rather than an unofficial manual update.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #1012
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I seem to recall that for new rollouts of firmware, there are often one or two people who have trouble with the upgrade. Just saying that, not working for one instance, doesn't indicate it isn't good for Touch Kobos in general.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #1013
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I was just about to ask what your Touch did when you tried to install 2.1.1. But then I noticed your device "description". Mine did the same thing. Has it worked for anyone in a Australia? Hell, as were not talking about cricket or rugby, any Kiwis with success?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #1014
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I was just about to ask what your Touch did when you tried to install 2.1.1. But then I noticed your device "description". Mine did the same thing. Has it worked for anyone in a Australia?
It didn't work for me, oddly enough. I tried three ways of installing it (straight from .17, from a fully upgraded system, from a factory reset): still no dice.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #1015
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
meeera, davidfor, murg ...
It's 'cause you're all upside down, spinning in the wrong direction
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #1016
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
All this talk of 2.1.1 and the success people are having with manually installing brings me back to one question: If it is such a great firmware with significant improvements over 2.0.0, why hasn't it been widely released yet? As far as I know it was only released in Japan. I know nothing of software/firmware development and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.
There could be a lot of reasons:

- The hardware might not be identical between Japan and the rest of the world. Externally, they are the same, but there might be something different inside.

- A possible difference is supplied fonts. Most people outside Japan don't need Japanese characters, so why put them in the package I download?

- Another is what fixes have been done. They might have rushed through some fixes that only benefit the Japanese users. The benefits you are seeing will probably be packaged in a "rest of the world" version soon

Or maybe someone comment about us being "guinea pigs" is right. If someone installs this without using the desktop application or a WiFi sync, Kobo doesn't have to support them. But, by monitoring this forum, they will get a lot of feedback on how it goes before they package the real release. I don't think this is what is happening, but I hope they are taking advantage of it.

As to software development, a new release like this after about six weeks is either very impressive or very scary. It is impressive if they have gotten through the bug identification, fixing and testing. But it is scary because they might have short-cut the quality control to get it out.

As an example, the last big software project I worked on released something every three months. This was a set of enhancements plus big fixes. But, each release took about six months to do. That meant that when a release was put out, we were close to finishing development of what went into the next release. The rest of the time was spent in testing and fixing problems found in the new code for the release. To me a release this quick either means they found some really bad problems somewhere (slow page turns aren't) or they had it planned for some time and just had to decide if any extra fixes went in.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #1017
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
I was just about to ask what your Touch did when you tried to install 2.1.1. But then I noticed your device "description". Mine did the same thing. Has it worked for anyone in a Australia? Hell, as were not talking about cricket or rugby, any Kiwis with success?

Yes, mine.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #1018
wondergirl
wondergirl began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
and, on a side note...
Those of you that use Calibre to side load your books, 2.1.1 is not fully supported as I found out tonight, yes, you can load your books onto the kobo 2.1.1 but...Calibre sends up a warning that you cannot delete, and some other things which I cannot remember off the top of my head with this firmware and the most recent release of Calibre. Just letting you know.
wondergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #1019
antxc
antxc began at the beginning.

Quote:
I'm in Australia and it worked for me. Was on 2.0.0c when I did the upgrade. The first time it looked like it worked but was still on 2.0.0c when it turned back on. Second time round it upgraded without issue.
antxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #1020
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boruteczko View Post
Maybe it's OK for English and Japanese but diacritics support is still botched.
It boggles my mind how this is allowed to slip on what sells itself as the most global reader.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote