Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Angry iPod Touch upgrade to 3.0 (Rant Warning)

Last night, I upgraded my Gen 1 Touch to 3.0. All my music, my apps, my books; all my stuff is GONE! The music I can get back, but my apps is a big problem because they don't show up in my iTunes library. I certainly am not going to buy them again and I lost some data that I cannot replace. Dumb me thought that the stupid backup that it does every time I sync'ed was doing actually backing up my data! In a closed system like iPods, this is critical.

Has this happened to anyone else or am I just very, very unlucky??

Norm
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds as though something's gone wrong. It should do a full backup and restore as a part of the upgrade process - that's why it takes so long.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
grisjuan
Enthusiast
grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grisjuan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS
I think you will likely be able to recover you apps. I just searched for "ipod touch app re-download" using google and the 3rd result was a support doc from Apple explaining how to redownload apps you'd already purchased: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Then I tried a search for "ipod touch backup" and found this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766 which has a list of what items a backup includes.
grisjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
To get your apps back just log into the iTunes store account you purchased the apps with and click "Buy App" on all the ones you have previously bought and you wont be charged a second time.

Are there any old backups listed under Preferences|Devices|Device Backups in iTunes? If so, you can restore one of these by right-clicking your device logo (when your iPod Touch is plugged in) and clicking "Restore from Backup...". I'm not sure whether there will be a conflict restoring it since you have updated to 3.0. I hope you can get some of your data back this way!
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Thanks for the support guys! I was just so mad that I couldn't think straight. I have re-downloaded most of the apps that I have. I am going to check for the old backups!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Sorry you went through all that.

Yes, the restore from backup should bring everything back, and you can always re-download apps you have paid for and intentionally or accidentally deleted. The iTunes Store keeps a record of everything you have purchased and it will tell you when you go to "buy" it that you already own it and if you click on OK it will re-download it for you for free.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I feel your pain. I've had to delete Stanza so I can upgrade to OS 3.0. Apparently, Stanza stores epubs in their component formats so one title can easily have anywhere from 20~200 small files. I've accumulated more than 500 books (maybe in a 6-month period? mostly fanfiction) on my iPhone. Some of them, I don't have copies of on my computer since they were downloaded directly from online catalogs. It was already 24 hours since I initiated the back-up and it was only half-way done. Since not having a cellphone for emergency use just so it can finish updating firmware is unacceptable, I took screen caps of all the ebook titles on my iPhone so I can re-download them and then deleted Stanza. The back-up and firmware update process took less than 20 minutes after that.

Mind you, it was mostly my fault since I never backed-up my iPhone. I guess I never really paid much attention before since I didn't have any data of worth on my cellphone. Now that this happened, I'm thinking of a method so I don't have to rely on Apple's back-up process. Unfortunately, even if it's easy to get your apps back, ebook libraries on apps such as Stanza is a major pain in the neck to rebuild. I still haven't gotten to re-downloading all those ebooks.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I also upgraded to the v3.0 software, but had no problems and did not loose anything and I had tons of audio and ebooks on mine.

So what do you think of the upgrade. Very little of use by my way of thinking.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Actually, iTunes probably still has all the apps on your computer. It doesn't show them by default, but you can change this by going to preferences and on the general screen make sure "Applications" is checked.

After a big patch, you should be able to just click "restore from backup" as some have mentioned and be just fine, however.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
and if nothing else works, send an e-mail to Apple. Explain the situation give them a list and all apps, music, etc. you had will be downloadable for free, again. Happened to me when I reformatted my hard disk for the installation of Windows 7 and had forgotten to backup a few items.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The upgrade process is still a pain with Apple, I found that the backup part took about 2 hrs for me. They need to give it firewire input so data transfer speeds up.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
That is strange, have you maxed out your 16GB storage? I have about 8GB in use and it took less than 30 minutes. Actually, the upgrade procedure is the one thing I much prefer with the Iphone over Windows Mobile, it always is a pain getting a Windows phone back to its original state after a ROM upgrade.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a (full) 32GB iPod Touch and it took an absolute eternity to do the backup/restore when I upgraded to f/w version 2. I've not yet upgraded to v3, but I shall probably do so at some point.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That is strange, have you maxed out your 16GB storage? I have about 8GB in use and it took less than 30 minutes.
If you have Stanza and a lot of books, long back-up times are the norm, specially if you don't regularly back up your iPhone/iPod Touch.

This one, I blame on Stanza rather than Apple. Stanza stores ebook files in their component format. Basically, they unzip the epub files and those small files are what they store on the iPhone. Just as an example, I converted a purchased .lit file (Star Trek: The Next Generation - Q-Squared by Peter David) to .epub format. The resulting .epub was only 361KB in size but it contains 102 files. If you've got 200 ebooks in Stanza that are similar in length, that's more than 20,000 files. I happen to have more than 500 so after 24 hours with the back-up only halfway done, I decided to just cancel it and delete Stanza. After that, back-up took just a few minutes.

By the way, back-up only saves settings, bookmarks, apps and related data. It doesn't include music, videos or photos.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:49 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
By the way, back-up only saves settings, bookmarks, apps and related data. It doesn't include music, videos or photos.
I don't believe this is correct. The backup files for my iPod Touch certainly seem to include my music and videos.