Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Stacey34
Connoisseur
Stacey34 doesn't litterStacey34 doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505 (Red)
Automatic shut off?

I just have a quick question, if I leave my 505 on will it automatically shut itself off?
Now understand I never leave it on for an extended period because I am afraid that the letters will burn into the screen. Not really sure if that is possible but better safe then sorry right? But just in case it would get accidently turned on (not sure how that would happen) or if I thought I turned it off but hadn't, will it shut itself off?
Thanks for the help!

Also, I don't think I've said this for awhile......I LOVE this thing!
It is my all time favorite electronic gadget and believe me I have owned alot of them.
I have been putting it down to talk to my husband on occasion too. I figure after almost 26 years I owe it to the guy ya know. LOL! I mean he doesn't mind that I buy myself all these gadgets so I have to give him props for that. He is actually leaving for a golf trip on Monday and I will have 9 (yes I said 9) days to read til my heart is content!
Stacey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yes, it'll automatically switch to standby if you don't click a button for a while.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Per the Sony user manual (on the Reader unless you deleted it).

Setting the Sleep Mode (Resume Function)

You can set the Reader to automatically enter sleep mode. In sleep mode, the Reader automatically turns off if no operation is performed for 60 minutes (resume function).
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So that's why you haven't been on here so much this week... you've been reading! Inconceivable!

Glad to see you are still enjoying it!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Stacey34
Connoisseur
Stacey34 doesn't litterStacey34 doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505 (Red)
Hey DixieGal,
I haven't read this much in years and I love to read! This is one of those items that I don't think I will ever lose interest in and to be honest that is usually what happens. I buy something thinking that is so cool I just have to have it and then usually after a few months it is sitting on a shelf. My reader sits on a shelf when I'm not using it because I don't want anything to happen to it but that isn't very often.
This is the item that my oldest daughter (22) wanted to get me for Christmas but she also knew I wanted a new cell phone and since she works for a major cell phone company she got me the phone. After Christmas though she mentioned this device and how she almost bought it for me. After that I couldn't stop thinking about one, I was on the internet all the time checking them out. Thats how I found this website (yeah!).
So I guess if there is anyone out there doing their homework like I did and sees this, I am telling you right now to buy it if your thinking about it. If you have the money and really want one you will NOT be sorry.
That is just my opinion!
Everyone have a good rest of the day and happy reading!
Stacey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey34 View Post
s website (yeah!).
So I guess if there is anyone out there doing their homework like I did and sees this, I am telling you right now to buy it if your thinking about it. If you have the money and really want one you will NOT be sorry.
Stacey--I definitely second that! I thought about buying a Sony Reader ever since the 500 first came out. It wasn't until last May that I finally decided to go for it. I got the 505 and I've used it every day. I love it!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I'll add my endorsement as well. I've had plenty of electronic gadgets over the years, primarily mp3 players, XM radios, etc. I still have most of those devices, but my Sony 505 reader gets more use than all the other devices combined. I've read nearly 20 books already this year, almost as many as I read all of last year (not counting audiobooks, which I also enjoy).

I have nearly 100 books loaded on my reader right now. I usually read two books at a time, one non-fiction and the other fiction. I tend to read the non-fiction earlier in the evening, then read the fiction later in the evening when I get tired and don't want to concentrate as much.

I assumed I would enjoy the reader, but I'm enjoying it MUCH more than I anticipated, and I'd also have to rate it as the best "gadget" I've ever owned.

Thanks, Sony!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
As AnemicOak says it will go into standby after an hour, but it is not completely shut off and is still using the battery. If you are not going to be using it for an extended period, you can shut it off from the settings menu.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey34 View Post
Now understand I never leave it on for an extended period because I am afraid that the letters will burn into the screen.
eInk screens do not suffer from "burn in".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote