Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 03-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
BAEN Free Library - Harrington series

Folks,

A while back I downloaded the Honor Harrington series in .lit and .rtf formats as at the time I was considering the Sony PRS-505 reader. Now that I have an iLiad, I find that the BAEN web site now has only four of the books still listed for download (and in mobi format).

I tried using the .rtf formatted books, but not only is all the formatting lost (d'uh!) but the iLiad takes a long time to advance to the next page. Not so with the .prc files....nicely formatted and quick page turns.

Has anyone downloaded the entire series that could help me out with gettting the 'missing' mobi formatted books?

-many thanks,

Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
MaYbe you should, I don't know, BUY THE EBOOKS?

I can tell you where they are, but the files will be a couple of generations out of date. Google " cd fifth imperium". If you are going to keep a copy, then do the honorable thing: buy them.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like maybe I have already purchased the paper-based books? One should not automatically assume the worse in folks.

I've been following this series since it first came out......and would like to now be able to read it on my iLiad. I'll check out that link.

-tnx,

Jeff
Old 03-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
In any case, those particular CDs carry the express permission of the publisher (and through them, the authors, knowing Baen) to distribute the CDs as long as it's done as a whole, so there's really not anything ethically shady about it.

That being said, I admit that I do feel some obligation to pay for the e-versions, particularly of books that I don't have paper copies of, if only to encourage the whole e-book availability thing.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, that was a little harsh. Two things:

one, We have a strict no piracy here at MobileRead; and

two, Baen was the first publisher to offer all titles DRM free, including the backlist of all its authors, and should be rewarded for this. If you like the ebook, buy it.
Advert
Old 03-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Like maybe I have already purchased the paper-based books? One should not automatically assume the worse in folks.

I've been following this series since it first came out......and would like to now be able to read it on my iLiad. I'll check out that link.

-tnx,

Jeff
I'm sorry for snapping at you. It's just that the way you phrased the request pushed my buttons. I have a special love of Baen's ebook policy; if it were any other publisher I would not care. Again, I'm sorry.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
JWLaRue
Addict

Not a problem. I am very much supportive of the no piracy policy. Anything else is just going to hurt the acceptance of electronic readers.

To the point about buying after trying, I saw Eric Flint's 1632 (series) as a download. I've seen it in the bookstores for some time now but have never really looked at it. Having pulled a download and read some of it....I now want to read the entire series. And that means I'm now buying the p-books.

-Jeff
Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Since you did not buy the books, you probably got them from a Baen CD (freely-distributable disks provided to promote the sale of the books contained within). These are completely legal to download from on-line copies of the CDs, e.g. from The Fifth Imperium. Baen's Honorverse CD contains the entire series, in all the usual formats.

On the other hand, if you can afford it then buying the books supports the author and the publisher.

You could also convert the LIT to MOBI yourself (e.g. using lit2mobi). This is also legal where ever format shifting of copyrighted material is legal (e.g. in the US).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
JWLaRue
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Since you did not buy the books, .....
It really is a shame that folks assume the worse in everyone else.

...does this help?

-Jeff
Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The easiest way to convert so you can read on your iLiad is to start with the LIT.

Use ConvertLIT to explode the LIT into it's component parts. Use Mobipocket Publisher to build the PRC using the OPF file. It's that easy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I should have said "since you did not buy the e-books". My point was that you must therefore have got the e-books from a CD. I agree that, when e-books versions are freely available with the author's permission, buying one copy (p-book or e-book) is certainly enough "support" for the author.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
JWLaRue
Addict

Hi Jon,

...that's a process that I'm slowly learning how (best) to do. In the specific case of the Harrington series, since they are already available in mobi format I was looking for those files.

Wallcraft,

Actually, I downloaded the .lit files (and .rtf) from the Baen web site. The CD comes with the hardcover books..since I've been buying the paperback version, I would not have gotten the CD with them.

-many thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Supposedly however if the Mobi format is not recent, then it's supposedly not all that wonderful. From what other's have said, BAEN is redoing their mobi format to improve them. So going from the CD, you might be best off to generate your own Mobi format from the LIT.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
... I saw Eric Flint's 1632 (series) as a download. I've seen it in the bookstores for some time now but have never really looked at it. Having pulled a download and read some of it....I now want to read the entire series. And that means I'm now buying the p-books.
This is the main idea behind Baen's free library, if I understand it correctly -- they regard it as marketing "free samples" to get you to buy more of the same.

Evidently, it works pretty well, and their books are among the least "pirated" around. Go figure.

I prefer to start with the RTF format myself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #15
JWLaRue
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Supposedly however if the Mobi format is not recent, then it's supposedly not all that wonderful. From what other's have said, BAEN is redoing their mobi format to improve them. So going from the CD, you might be best off to generate your own Mobi format from the LIT.
It turns out the that Fifth Imperium site has other Baen CD's hosted there as well. The "Hell Hath No fury" CD has HH files that are as recent as this year.

-Jeff