Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
kwasi
kwasi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Android app on Nexus 7 tablet
Question Connecting to Nexus 7 detects too many files!

Hello.

I previously wrote here about connecting Calibre to my Nexus 7. Now it is already possible, with version 0.8.70.

And it works! I've connected my Nexus 7 tablet to my PC and Calibre has detected it.

After that, Calibre has searched for ebook files in my tablet, and... the problem is it shows lots of files that I have stored in my tablet but they're not really ebooks.

For example, all downloaded articles by "Pocket" app (formerly "Read it latter" or "RIL") in my tablet are recognized as ebooks by Calibre. And I have quite a big amount of them! By the way, they are just HTML files, as far as I can see.

So, my question is this: Is there any way to tell Calibre to "scan" only some given folders in my tablet or to look only for .epub files, for example??

Really looking forward to your answers,
kwasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there's no way to do that. Why does it bother you? Simply ignore the files you dont care about. Sort on the date column in the device view and you will see only recently sent/created files. calibre caches metadata so only the first connect will be slow. After that, the number of files recognized as ebooks is irrelevant.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
kwasi

By the way, I am using "Moon+ Reader Pro" Android app.

When I send a book from Calibre to my device, where is Calibre going to "leave" it?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
kwasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, there's no way to do that. Why does it bother you? Simply ignore the files you dont care about. Sort on the date column in the device view and you will see only recently sent/created files. calibre caches metadata so only the first connect will be slow. After that, the number of files recognized as ebooks is irrelevant.
Thank you for your answer.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwasi View Post

When I send a book from Calibre to my device, where is Calibre going to "leave" it?
Send a book and see. And you can control that by configuring the driver in calibre.
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwasi View Post

I too use Moon+ Reader Pro. You might want to look into Calibre Companion App (wireless required), it works great with the Nexus 7 and Moon+. One small feature is that the app allows you to route books by format to which ever directory you wish. Well worth the token fee for the app.

Update: You can choose to scan for books or not to scan for books. If you choose to scan for books it will only scan in the directories you have designated as being used for Calibre Companion to send books to. No scanning of every directory for any manuals, text files, books, pamphlets etc.. that might be on your device. This creates a much quicker connection to calibre.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-29-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: sp
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
Quote:
Didn't see you already replied to this type of question, but in answer to you.

It bothers me personally, because I'm clicking to see a list of Books, not over 50 other files, its just annoying.

The restrict view, is grayed out, so you can't use that.
You can't limit the scan to one folder. important if it is going to take 5min+

It was actuall quicker for me to use the free splashtop remote desktop app,
to show my PC screen on my N7, open the web address of Airdroid (also free app) and upload my books that way
than it was to physically connecty and wait for this intermitable scan, and subsuquent cluster f file list.

But whatever, no offence you do it how you like and props to you for it.
I'll prob go back to just using calibre to organise my collection only.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
charlieMOGUL
charlieMOGUL began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Why does it bother you? Simply ignore the files you dont care about. calibre caches metadata so only the first connect will be slow. After that, the number of files recognized as ebooks is irrelevant.
Hi Kovid,

First of, thanks for your great application!
However, it would be great to have the option to restrict Calibre to only scan certain Nexus 7 (and other Androids ?) folders. When I connect my Nexus 7 it takes Calibre each time about half an hour to scan, which is pretty long considering the N7 contains only 10 epub books (but is filled to the brim with other content).

Thanks in advance,

charlieMOGUL
charlieMOGUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre doesn't scan non ebook files, what takes so long is simply listing the files on the N7, if you have a large number of files/folders. At some point, I plan to add an option to restrict what folders on the device are listed, but there are various complications with doing that, so it may take a while.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieMOGUL View Post
However, it would be great to have the option to restrict Calibre to only scan certain Nexus 7 (and other Androids ?) folders.
You could always connect to calibre via the Calibre Companion android app (wifi required). It will allow you to choose or not choose to scan for new books on your device and limits the search to directories where you choose to place your books. This app is well worth the token fee required. I use it with my Nexus 7.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
charlieMOGUL
charlieMOGUL began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Thanks for the answer and suggestion.
I'm looking forward to the folder restriction to make synching (without Calibre Companion) somewhat faster.

charlieMOGUL
charlieMOGUL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, calibre, html files, nexus 7, tablets