Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #1
Gilgamesh
Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: none
Registering Kobo Touch (and some other questions)

Hi, everybody. I'm glad I found this site. It has definitely helped answer a lot of questions I've had about ereaders. The people here seem very helpful and friendly as well which is also nice.

I've been trying to justify to myself (and my wife) the need to buy the Sony 650 but now that Kobo has come out with such a good device all justifying has come to an end

I am flying to Canada next week (I live in Taiwan) and am planning on picking up a Kobo Touch fairly soon after I arrive but I have a couple of questions which I hope someone can help me with.

In regards to registering the Kobo. If I register the Kobo and update it on one computer (my mother's in Canada) does that cause any problems if I then use a different computer (mine back in Taiwan) to install further updates etc.

Are there any good cases that include a built in light? I haven't seen any using the web but I may have missed it. Does the book style cover from Chapters have an easy place to carry a light when not in use. I would like to be able to keep the light with the Kobo Touch so I don't lose it and can always find it when I need to. Quite often, when typhoons or earthquakes hit, we will lose power so it would be nice to have the light in order to continue reading.

Anyway, thanks for any help that people can give me and thanks Kobo Touch people for not making me have to buy the Sony. The Kindle was never on the table because I hate companies that force you to buy only from their store.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
The registration is really involved with setting up your account with the Kobo Books site. You can then use the Kobo Desktop software to purchase and download your books and receive updates. So you can do this from any computer with the desktop installed, I would presume.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
Hi, everybody. I'm glad I found this site. It has definitely helped answer a lot of questions I've had about ereaders. The people here seem very helpful and friendly as well which is also nice.

I've been trying to justify to myself (and my wife) the need to buy the Sony 650 but now that Kobo has come out with such a good device all justifying has come to an end

I am flying to Canada next week (I live in Taiwan) and am planning on picking up a Kobo Touch fairly soon after I arrive but I have a couple of questions which I hope someone can help me with.

In regards to registering the Kobo. If I register the Kobo and update it on one computer (my mother's in Canada) does that cause any problems if I then use a different computer (mine back in Taiwan) to install further updates etc.

Are there any good cases that include a built in light? I haven't seen any using the web but I may have missed it. Does the book style cover from Chapters have an easy place to carry a light when not in use. I would like to be able to keep the light with the Kobo Touch so I don't lose it and can always find it when I need to. Quite often, when typhoons or earthquakes hit, we will lose power so it would be nice to have the light in order to continue reading.

Anyway, thanks for any help that people can give me and thanks Kobo Touch people for not making me have to buy the Sony. The Kindle was never on the table because I hate companies that force you to buy only from their store.

case with built in light? haven't seen one as of yet.

for your first question, it depends on how you register it; If you're using your mom's PC, are you using your own kobo account, or hers? If you use your own, then you should have no issues using your own on another PC anywhere else.

If you're using her account, then you need to make sure you're using her account back home, else you'll have to reset to factory specs, then re-register under your own account.

and for that matter, once you've registered it once, you really don't even need to use a PC again(other than to charge, unless you have a charger), so long as you have wifi available.

cheers!
Steph S.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
srs_bsns
srs_bsns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I don't own this case, nor do I know anyone that does, nor have I even seen it in person, but Best Buy and Future Shop (in Canada) Carry the 'Werx Kobo Touch Leather Case with Light'.

Best Buy Link
srs_bsns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by srs_bsns View Post
I don't own this case, nor do I know anyone that does, nor have I even seen it in person, but Best Buy and Future Shop (in Canada) Carry the 'Werx Kobo Touch Leather Case with Light'.

Best Buy Link
THANK YOU!

I KNEW I had seen a Case with Light on one of the Canadian retailers and had totally forgotten who!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
Gilgamesh
Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.Gilgamesh shines like a glazed doughnut.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll be using my own Kobo account, once I set one up so everything should be good.

I'll take a look at that Werx case when I'm in Canada.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Seems like a pretty pricey case! Ask yourself if you really want to have a case that is always attached to your Kobo. It will double the weight that you are holding and make one hand -reading awkward. I just use a generic 6 inch sleeve-type case found on Ebay to protect my case when travelling. Around the house, what's the point of a case?

If you seriously need a light, aren't there some clip-on types available? Check at Chapters-Indigo. http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ereadi...hts%3alist%3a1
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Gilgamesh

Well, I'm in Canada and bought the Kobo Touch a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty happy with it although I am worried about my battery life. The battery only seems to last about four days or so. This is with almost constant use but it usually powers off and says to recharge when the battery is still showing about a third of a charge. How many page turns are you supposed to get with one charge. I am only getting around 1500-2000 page turns. I thought you were supposed to get more. I've kept it in airport mode so the wifi shouldn't be causing any trouble.

Does the Sudoku program suck up a lot of power? I made the mistake of showing my wife the Sudoku and now she keeps trying to get my ereader away from me so she can play.

I tried the wifi at the local library but couldn't seem to get it to work. It would connect but I couldn't figure out how to call up the keyboard so that I could type in a web address. Is there an icon that I am supposed to press to make the keyboard come up? If so, could someone tell me what it looks like and where to find it?

I am also getting the double page turn on some taps that people have mentioned here. Any idea why this is happening?

The reading experience has been quite good. I've read about nine books already (I'm on holidays and my parents are keeping their grandkids occupied) and am quite enjoying it.

Are they still sending people ten dollar off coupons when they register the kobo? I haven't gotten mine yet and it's been two weeks. I've even checked my spam file. I've gotten a number of emails from kobo which I've kept but I haven't noticed any coupons. Maybe I just missed it.

Anyway, so far I quite like my Kobo and am glad I bought it. Thanks for all the help in answering my questions.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
I tried the wifi at the local library but couldn't seem to get it to work. It would connect but I couldn't figure out how to call up the keyboard so that I could type in a web address. Is there an icon that I am supposed to press to make the keyboard come up? If so, could someone tell me what it looks like and where to find it?
Touch the line showing the default web address http://www.google.ca and the keyboard will pop up.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
Are they still sending people ten dollar off coupons when they register the kobo? I haven't gotten mine yet and it's been two weeks. I've even checked my spam file. I've gotten a number of emails from kobo which I've kept but I haven't noticed any coupons. Maybe I just missed it.
I never got mine either so I emailed the kobo help desk - they sent me one about 2 weeks later, so it's worth a try
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote