Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
CM7 Backup

In another thread, I went through the process of installing CM7 to an SD card and setting up my apps, etc. on that SD card.

I'm very happy with what I've got right now, and thus does the paranoia set in: what if my SD card gets lost??

Is there a way to backup the CM7 + apps + everything else on my SD card in such a way that a new SD card could have the backup written to it with WinImage and the resulting SD card would have the same, identical setup as the original?

I'd hate to have to re-setup everything if the SD card was lost.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Is there a way to backup the CM7 + apps + everything else on my SD card in such a way that a new SD card could have the backup written to it with WinImage and the resulting SD card would have the same, identical setup as the original?
Since you already have WinImage, why not not just use WinImage to create an image of your complete SD card. That would give you an exact snapshot of the setup that you are happy with.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tried that - Create Virtual Hard Disk image from physical drive? - but at the end of the process, it showed a list of 4 partitions and seemed to be expecting me to pick one. Is that expected behavior? Do all the partitions have to be backed up separately? I found that last bit rather confusing.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried that - Create Virtual Hard Disk image from physical drive? - but at the end of the process, it showed a list of 4 partitions and seemed to be expecting me to pick one. Is that expected behavior? Do all the partitions have to be backed up separately? I found that last bit rather confusing.
CM7 consists of 4 partitions on the physical device, and the image that you used to write your SD card with using WinImage actually contained all those four partitons. So you need to create ONE image containing FOUR partitions just as the creators of your original WinImage image file did. I do not use WinImage myself, so I can not be more detailed. Any disk imaging program can make the backup of all four partitions that you need. I use a Windows program produced by Paragon to do my disk image backups.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Dave_S,

Yeah, I was afraid that was the case - that I needed to do one image that contained all four partitions. I'm not sure how to do that, at least not in WinImage.
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Dave_S,

Yeah, I was afraid that was the case - that I needed to do one image that contained all four partitions. I'm not sure how to do that, at least not in WinImage.
OK, I just downloaded DiskImage and tried it. It seemed very simple and straight forward. After WinImage has started you select from the menu bar Disk/Creating Vikrtual Hard Disk Image from Physical drive... and DiskImage will show a dialog window asking you to select the physical drive (your SD card). That's it. After that it creates an image of that SD card with all four of the CM7 partitions on it. You can save that image file on your PC hard drive to use as a backup restore image for an SD card. FWIW, after the image is created you can then browse through the contents of all four partitions in the image file that WinImage created.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
OK, I just downloaded DiskImage and tried it. It seemed very simple and straight forward. After WinImage has started you select from the menu bar Disk/Creating Vikrtual Hard Disk Image from Physical drive... and DiskImage will show a dialog window asking you to select the physical drive (your SD card). That's it. After that it creates an image of that SD card with all four of the CM7 partitions on it. You can save that image file on your PC hard drive to use as a backup restore image for an SD card. FWIW, after the image is created you can then browse through the contents of all four partitions in the image file that WinImage created.
Can you be more specific for me and point me to the exact software you used?

ie: Is this the Winimage you used http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm

ie: what diskimage software, I have Win32DiskImager.exe

A google search for diskimage didn't produce anything specific for me
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Can you be more specific for me and point me to the exact software you used?

ie: Is this the Winimage you used http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm

At the beginning of this thread anamardoll mentioned using WinImage to initially create the CM7 SD card, so I just suggested using it do do backups as well. I had never used that particular disk imaging program myself, so I downloaded it and tried it. The link that you posted is the correct one for the program that I downloaded. The particular file that I downloaded was winima85.zip.

Quote:
ie: what diskimage software, I have Win32DiskImager.exe

A google search for diskimage didn't produce anything specific for me
OK, I downloaded and tried your Win32DiskImager.exe program, and it can also create a backup image of the CM7 SD card. Win32DiskImager.exe is quite a bit simpler program than WinImage, but both can read and write backup images containing multiple partitions. WinImage has a nice feature that alows you to browse through the backup image that you create, and it can even browse through a backup image created by Win32DiskImager.exe.

So, it looks like you could use either one to create and restore a backup image of a CM7 installation that you like.

I will be offline for a few days starting soon, so I hope you have the info that you need to make your own backup image.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Thank you, Dave, this has been very helpful. I've ordered another 32 GB sd card (you can never have too many, right?) and I'll do a backup from my current one, write it to the new one, and slap it in and see whether or not it actually works. Here's hoping.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you, Dave, this has been very helpful. I've ordered another 32 GB sd card (you can never have too many, right?) and I'll do a backup from my current one, write it to the new one, and slap it in and see whether or not it actually works. Here's hoping.
How much space is needed for the backup, anyone know. I would like to buy another sd card but go cheap and get say a 4gb class 2 or 4. That would be sufficient for backup purposes and to let me know if it was truly backed up.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
goldberry
Groupie

Quote:
At the beginning of this thread anamardoll mentioned using WinImage to initially create the CM7 SD card, so I just suggested using it do do backups as well. I had never used that particular disk imaging program myself, so I downloaded it and tried it. The link that you posted is the correct one for the program that I downloaded. The particular file that I downloaded was winima85.zip.

OK, I downloaded and tried your Win32DiskImager.exe program, and it can also create a backup image of the CM7 SD card. Win32DiskImager.exe is quite a bit simpler program than WinImage, but both can read and write backup images containing multiple partitions. WinImage has a nice feature that alows you to browse through the backup image that you create, and it can even browse through a backup image created by Win32DiskImager.exe.

So, it looks like you could use either one to create and restore a backup image of a CM7 installation that you like.

I will be offline for a few days starting soon, so I hope you have the info that you need to make your own backup image.
Thanks Dave I got the impression from your post that I first replied to that you needed to use both Diskimage and Winimage, I see now what you were referring to was a diskimage within the winimage program.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
How much space is needed for the backup, anyone know.
If you do a backup using the imaging technique then your backup image will be the same size as the device ( SD card) that you made an image of. If you want to save some storage space you can ZIP the image after it is created.
There is also another characteristic of the imaging backup technique you should probably be aware of. If you make an image of a 4GB SD card, and later restore that image to a larger SD card, the larger SD card will become a 4GB SD card too. That can be fixed with a different set of software tools, so you just need to be aware of it.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
goldberry
Groupie

Quote:
If you do a backup using the imaging technique then your backup image will be the same size as the device ( SD card) that you made an image of. If you want to save some storage space you can ZIP the image after it is created.
There is also another characteristic of the imaging backup technique you should probably be aware of. If you make an image of a 4GB SD card, and later restore that image to a larger SD card, the larger SD card will become a 4GB SD card too. That can be fixed with a different set of software tools, so you just need to be aware of it.
So if I make a backup image of my current 8gb SD card to my PC, would I be able to take That image and put it on say a 4 gb card?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

No, I think you have to put it on a card that is the same size or larger.

Dave is saying that if you put a 4 GB image on an 8 GB card, the card will now effectively be 4 GB, so you can't easily "move up" a card without special tools.

I'm fairly certain you can't "move down" a size - even if that space isn't currently utilized on your card (i.e., even if you have 4 GB free, I don't think you can go from an 8 GB to a 4 GB).

I could be wrong, though.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #15
goldberry
Groupie

Quote:
No, I think you have to put it on a card that is the same size or larger.

Dave is saying that if you put a 4 GB image on an 8 GB card, the card will now effectively be 4 GB, so you can't easily "move up" a card without special tools.

I'm fairly certain you can't "move down" a size - even if that space isn't currently utilized on your card (i.e., even if you have 4 GB free, I don't think you can go from an 8 GB to a 4 GB).

I could be wrong, though.
You are probably correct and I should just get another 8gb card. Maybe get a class 2 or 4 to save a bit.