Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-17-2015, 03:03 AM   #1
gebederry
gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gebederry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite , Voyage
Talking ALL-New Paperwhite announced: 300dpi E-Ink screen

enhanced PPI and RAM

Amazon US link

Amazon CA link

Amazon JP link

Amazon UK link

[See also the thread in the Kindle forum]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TB2iRsxdXXXXXX5XpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2099020602.jpg
Views:	1621
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	139372  

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-18-2015 at 05:06 AM. Reason: added link to Kindle forum thread, and link to UK store
gebederry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 AM   #2
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Fake.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Fake.
If it is a fake then nobody told amazon who are advertising it on all of their sites I looked at.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
If it is a fake then nobody told amazon who are advertising it on all of their sites I looked at.
Yep: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQVZDJM/

One wonders where that leaves the Voyage...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
One wonders where that leaves the Voyage...
Due for a price-cut if they do not have a new one of them on the way too you would think.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
j777p
j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Where does it mention a RAM upgrade? and is this the same dimensions as the old one?
j777p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Due for a price-cut if they do not have a new one of them on the way too you would think.
Even with a price cut, what's left as the big difference between the new Paperwhite and the Voyage? I'm not sure those button-thingies alone will do it. I more or less expect the Voyage to disappear, just like the Kobo Aura HD was made irrelevant by the H2O.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Even with a price cut, what's left as the big difference between the new Paperwhite and the Voyage? I'm not sure those button-thingies alone will do it. I more or less expect the Voyage to disappear, just like the Kobo Aura HD was made irrelevant by the H2O.
I far prefer the Voyage. The flush screen is easy to keep clean (the raised bezel is prone to getting hairs and other crud around the edges), the haptic page-turn sensors work extremely well, and the whole device just has a higher-quality feel to it than the PW. The light sensor which automatically adjusts screen brightness works pretty well, too.

There's room in the marketplace for both devices, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
It's a Kobo Glo HD killer, except it's about the same price (or more considering exchange rates?) and has the same specs.

But indeed, it's where this leaves the Voyage that's interesting. Amazon can't afford to reduce the Voyage price or it will overlap with the PW. They can't raise the price as it's already over-priced. All it has over the PW is the flush-screen and buttons. Worth the extra money? Dunno. The buttons are nice. The Voyage feels a bit more expensive / of higher quality than the PW, but not by much.

I wonder if Amazon will increase the Voyage specs somehow to distinguish the models, but I'm not sure how. Water-proofing? Lol. Maybe they've got an even higher def screen, which, like Carta will be an all but invisible upgrade as regards the human eye (at least my eye).

Last edited by Rizla; 06-17-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
j777p
j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j777p ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
It's a Kobo Glo HD killer, except it's about the same price (or more considering exchange rates?) and has the same specs.

But indeed, it's where this leaves the Voyage that's interesting. Amazon can't afford to reduce the Voyage price or it will overlap with the PW. They can't raise the price as it's already over-priced. All it has over the PW is the flush-screen and buttons. Worth the extra money? Dunno. The buttons are nice. The Voyage feels a bit more expensive / of higher quality than the PW, but not by much.

I wonder if Amazon will increase the Voyage specs somehow to distinguish the models, but I'm not sure how. Water-proofing? Lol. Maybe they've got an even higher def screen, which, like Carta will be an all but invisible upgrade as regards the human eye (at least my eye).
It's definitely a retaliation to the Glo HD being launched, and is a good move on amazon's parts. I was just about to buy a Glo HD as an update to my KK but now I will be getting the new paperwhite instead.
j777p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I just bought a bought my PW five months ago. Dang it! Oh well. Technology must always improve. I just wish my timing was better.

Review on Cnet: http://www.cnet.com/products/amazon-...perwhite-2015/

Last edited by faithbw; 06-17-2015 at 11:17 AM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:

I would buy one if it were waterproof.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I honestly don't see that they need to do anything. The Voyage was not a replacement for the PW, and this new PW is not a replacement for the Voyage. The Voyage has sold extremely well, so there would seem to be a place in the market for a premium-branded product.

Amazon, however, have a history of surprise product announcements (nobody saw this new PW coming) so perhaps they will release a "Voyage 2". Time will tell.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm on holiday at the moment and am using my Kobo H20 all the time as its waterproof (pool and beach). I brought my Voyage with me too but it's just not been used.

I feel a bit peeved about the new PW tbh, don't get me wrong I love my Voyage but I also want 3G and the new PW 3G is the same price I paid for my WiFi voyage
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly don't see that they need to do anything. The Voyage was not a replacement for the PW, and this new PW is not a replacement for the Voyage. The Voyage has sold extremely well, so there would seem to be a place in the market for a premium-branded product.

Amazon, however, have a history of surprise product announcements (nobody saw this new PW coming) so perhaps they will release a "Voyage 2". Time will tell.
Objectively, they have reduced the distinction between the Voyage and the PW. The Voyage is no longer quite so premium. This will inevitably make the Voyage less attractive to premium buyers. Will Amazon leave it like this, or add features to further differentiate the Voyage? The logical move would be to upgrade the screen somehow.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all-new paperwhite