Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinquent
Hmm... OK. Just out of interest, When Sigil removes the itunes thing, is that because it is a known nuisance or does Sigil remove anything that is not manifested?
Sigil doesn't remove the "itunes thing" anymore if it's already present. It ignores it (well, actually it pretends it's in the 'Misc' folder for the duration of the edit, but it's still safe and sound in its proper place after saving the ePub). You just can't currently use Sigil to add or edit the itunes monstrosity.

EDIT: My sincere apologies. I mistakenly assumed the Apple file being discussed was the plist ... com ... xml ... hoobie-whatie necessary for embedded fonts to work in iBooks. I neither know nor care what an iTunesMetadata.plist file is for -- or know what Sigil might do with one when it's encountered.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sigil doesn't remove the "itunes thing" anymore if it's already present. It ignores it (well, actually it pretends it's in the 'Misc' folder for the duration of the edit, but it's still safe and sound in its proper place after saving the ePub). You just can't currently use Sigil to add or edit the itunes monstrosity.

EDIT: My sincere apologies. I mistakenly assumed the Apple file being discussed was the plist ... com ... xml ... hoobie-whatie necessary for embedded fonts to work in iBooks. I neither know nor care what an iTunesMetadata.plist file is for -- or know what Sigil might do with one when it's encountered.
Thankyou Diap. Helpful as ever...
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinquent View Post
Thankyou Diap. Helpful as ever...
You know me. I can't resist offering assistance to those who ask nicely for it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
You know me. I can't resist offering assistance to those who ask nicely for it.
Diap:

Speaking of ever-helpful, the good folks at Apple have the kindness to "help" their customers by inserting a file, the iTunesMetadata.plist, which is embedded into the ePUB whenever a book is sideloaded to iBooks via iTunes. Now, here's the fun part: if you try to then upload a book to iBooks (iTunes Producer/Transport) with that file embedded in it, it will fail intake.

I actually have no bloody idea what this file does, but if I've had one client call me in a swivet because "the file [you] gave me is BAD and fails some kind of check," because they sideloaded it to iBooks first and then sent it on to Apple, I've had 50 or 100. This file has been an issue for the last few years--in fact, I first posted about it here on MR--but it's unrelated to the xml.options file needed for font embedding.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #35
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Oooooh!! Awesome! It's really cool the nuggets you pick up around here.

I was contemplating writing a VB code to automatically insert the "itunes thing" (not the plist thing) into an epub...but now that isn't necessary!

I have a "default.epub" file that has all the standard stuff...cover page, styles.css, modified .opf (for series name/index) and now the itunes thing. I open this file in Sigil with a shortcut, and "SaveAs" then continue my work....saves a bunch of time.

Thanks Diap!

Last edited by Turtle91; 01-15-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #36
MacCruiskeen
MacCruiskeen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
But...can anyone else identify a distributor that is really using ePUBcheck3? I mean, an actual retailer?
I work in academia and I know that Bibliovault, the distribution service run by UCP, does.

We use iPads as part of our file testing process, and I make local copies of the files from our servers so that the copies we send out don't get .plist infected.
MacCruiskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCruiskeen View Post
I work in academia and I know that Bibliovault, the distribution service run by UCP, does.

We use iPads as part of our file testing process, and I make local copies of the files from our servers so that the copies we send out don't get .plist infected.
Well, we, unfortunately, primarily send out files to our clients. No matter how many times we tell them "don't view this file on your iPad/iPhone and then send it to iBooks," they do. We inevitably send out two copies of the same ePUB for almost every client that is planning to sell at iBooks.

I'm always happy when I'm working with distributors. Easy-peasy, just FTP and go. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote