Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #256
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyz View Post
I'm sure now this is what happened. The pocket edge splash screen says "Pocket Edge"... and now for a splash screen my PE with EE/OE firmware says "enTourage eDGe" mirrored backwards.

I've tried going to 1.01.002 PE firmware now with target forced like TARGET_DEVICE=UPDATE_DEVICE in the update.sh. Still hangs before it gets to Updating splash.
Use the PE golden update zip to revert your PE to 1.6 and then update to ermine again and be careful in future. MAKE SURE you have the correct files!!

DON'T mess with system files unless you know exactly what you are doing and have a backout option ready.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #257
toyz
toyz began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Use the PE golden update zip to revert your PE to 1.6 and then update to ermine again and be careful in future. MAKE SURE you have the correct files!!

DON'T mess with system files unless you know exactly what you are doing and have a backout option ready.
Hi ivanjt,

I've tried to install the PE golden update zip several times now -- it appears that it won't start the update process. Currently the EE image is on my PE. (A fact, can't take it back now) I can only assume this puts it in a state where normal recovery with the golden update won't work.

I have some experience with third party firmware on my Droid1. I am a Linux user/admin of 17 years. That said, it didn't keep me from downloading multiple update.zip files from various threads here and getting confused on which did what. ooops. 2 days ago I didn't know there were two different devices: Entourage Edge (EE) and a Pocket Edge (PE). I'm 98% sure I upgraded to e-update.golden.zip (EE) that emusan had tweaked to not do the TARGET != UPDATE check that DarkGrue had success with. Thus, attempting to install the EE firmware on my PE.

At this point I have a brick. I'm willing to try editing a lot of system files at this point -- with or without a backout option. My backout options seem to be gone. It would be nice to have ClockWorkMod in this device! And I'm interested in cooking up new firmware/roms if we had it. The pile of PE on Woot around Sept 9th should bring in more folks, hopefully some are devs.
toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #258
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
I have Ermine 1.01 which includes Youtube as system app.
While trying to update Youtube to newer version using adb I got a message saying the app already installed.
adb uninstall does not work for system apps.
Have to retract this "quirk":

adb install -r Youtube.apk

forces the app to be installed over previous one.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #259
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
toyz. if you find a solution let me know.
I can not use as well the golden update edited or not.
this is why I hope for a Clock work recovery that we can implement?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #260
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyz View Post
Hi ivanjt,

I've tried to install the PE golden update zip several times now -- it appears that it won't start the update process. Currently the EE image is on my PE. (A fact, can't take it back now) I can only assume this puts it in a state where normal recovery with the golden update won't work.

I have some experience with third party firmware on my Droid1. I am a Linux user/admin of 17 years. That said, it didn't keep me from downloading multiple update.zip files from various threads here and getting confused on which did what. ooops. 2 days ago I didn't know there were two different devices: Entourage Edge (EE) and a Pocket Edge (PE). I'm 98% sure I upgraded to e-update.golden.zip (EE) that emusan had tweaked to not do the TARGET != UPDATE check that DarkGrue had success with. Thus, attempting to install the EE firmware on my PE.

At this point I have a brick. I'm willing to try editing a lot of system files at this point -- with or without a backout option. My backout options seem to be gone. It would be nice to have ClockWorkMod in this device! And I'm interested in cooking up new firmware/roms if we had it. The pile of PE on Woot around Sept 9th should bring in more folks, hopefully some are devs.
I could say a few swear words here but I won't. Unfortunately we mainly deal with hardware even though we do have a programmer - and she says without an SDK she isn't even going to look at our version of android.

I think it was vininc that mentioned there was some SDK available for the Alex which has basic hardware the same as PE and EE. I don't know if that might help you in any way.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #261
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
yes the alex e-ink controller is the same like ours, but system file, cpu and implementation may differ.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #262
ptsenter
Addict

Amazon Appstore claims an app is not compatible

Lately I came across a few apps, e.g., Trip Journal, that Amazon refused to install claiming the app isn't compatible with my device, PE.
Well, turned out they are lying.
I created an emulator for Android 3.1 (WXGA 720x1280 - tablet resolution) and downloaded them and all developers required is Android 1.6.
Installed them on PE, no problems, and successfully run.
In their wisdom Amazon designated them as tablet-only apps.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #263
ptsenter
Addict

Some advantages of 1.01.

It already includes some useful apps, e.g., Maps, Voice Search, Gmail, Youtube, Google Voice, …
No need to sideload them one by one.
It includes some additional libraries, without them some apps refused to be installed and/or run.
There is no need to root your device to be able to install this update.
P.S. You can safely ignore 1.01.001 and 1.02.

Last edited by ptsenter; 10-11-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #264
amsteel
amsteel began at the beginning.

Device: PE
PE stuck with Android Welcome screen

It saying "Touch the android to begin" and I touched and nothing happens. The PE was on 0.9Beta and I was trying to upgrade to 1.02. Log cat shows "Not continuing because we're waiting for GLS to finish clearing the old accounts". Any suggestion?

I have tried to downgrade to Dingo but failed. Never saw the updating software screen. Instead the LCD screen showed kind of like lost signal of TV screen for on second when it should be the updating software screen and then rebooted.

Please let me know if anything I can to to help. Just got it yesterday and loves the unit.

Updates: In a desperate late night effort, I wiped all system+data using adb and then was able to refresh to 0.9 beta. Nothing else has been done yet but PE is now booting normal. Both LCD and E-Ink are working ok.

Last edited by amsteel; 10-04-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: updates
amsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #265
ptsenter
Addict

Set Data storage device to SD Card

I was wondering if anybody ever tried to set data storage device to SD card.

While selecting SD card you get the lovely warning that it's permanent.

My speculation:
•If you select this option all your data as promised will be moved to SD card and internal storage will be expanded to occupy all 4GB (or 3GB, whatever) of internal memory.

If this is true it looks like the best option in case you have, or plan to have, too many apps to run: no monkeying, no loss of internal memory.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #266
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Quote:

My speculation:
•If you select this option all your data as promised will be moved to SD card and internal storage will be expanded to occupy all 4GB (or 3GB, whatever) of internal memory.

If this is true it looks like the best option in case you have, or plan to have, too many apps to run: no monkeying, no loss of internal memory.
That would certainly be lovely if it worked that way. I'm dubious though. I thought there was a dedicated partition for app storage?
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #267
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
That would certainly be lovely if it worked that way. I'm dubious though. I thought there was a dedicated partition for app storage?
That's exactly what I'm speculating about: that this partition is expanded.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #268
hector_joni
hector_joni began at the beginning.

Device: pocket eDGe
DONT!!

Quote:

My speculation:

Dont do that, that is exactly what I did, thinking the same as you guys, but somehow I still hat 300 MB for apps. Then I saw this forum :https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138124

This is what you are actually hoping for. I realized however that by having moved data to sd card, as you posted, I couldnt follow the steps from the Thread I just showed. So I had to downgrade and delete all data from my edge in order to move apps to the sd card.
I hope you read this on time before is too late
hector_joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #269
hector_joni
hector_joni began at the beginning.

Device: pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKuiD View Post
What part of the market isnt working? I have a fully functioning market on my PE...doesnt seem to be any apps being filtered out that i've noticed.

Also, for reference...changing the Davlik VM heap size definetely increased the responsiveness of the device...i'm not sure why it was set to 128MB for stock, seems rather large.

New settings:

windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150 (should help with GUI navigation/redraw)
dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m (definte performance gain)
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=160 (to help battery life)
Id really like to do this. Could you tell me how or where to find the documents using root explorer?
Thanks!
hector_joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #270
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector_joni View Post
I hope you read this on time before is too late
Thanks, no, it's not too late, I'm just collecting info and don't even have a card yet.