Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #46
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
You need a US credit card to purchase Kindle books. Also they won't ship a Kindle to a non-US address so you would need to jump that hurdle.

I guess the reason for wanting a Kindle outside the US would be for the Amazon ebooks? Otherwise why not just buy any of the other ereaders with eInk screens. Minus the cell phone connection they would be nearly identical functionaly.
Depends on what you call nearly identical.

No dictionary on the Sony
No notes on the Sony, Cybook (iLiad only does notes on PDF files)
No searching on other units. (search for eBooks and search within eBooks)
No keyboard (to facilitate searches, dictionary lookup, notes)
No screen capture
No Audible support

If these features are important then the Kindle might still be the best unit in spite of the hassle of obtaining one.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #47
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I would not buy it even if I lived in the USA. Don't like, as simple as that.
If tomorrow Kindle was sold in the UK and Sony is still in the USA, I would go for Sony.
I guess I was imprecise. I didn't understand why those posters to this thread who desired a Kindle didn't etc, etc.

Why are you participating in this Kindle oriented subforum if you wouldn't buy one?

What is the point of your post? I wouldn't, for example, buy a car produced in England because I think they are poorly engineered and low quality- so what?
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #48
cush
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
You need a US credit card to purchase Kindle books. Also they won't ship a Kindle to a non-US address so you would need to jump that hurdle.

I guess the reason for wanting a Kindle outside the US would be for the Amazon ebooks? Otherwise why not just buy any of the other ereaders with eInk screens. Minus the cell phone connection they would be nearly identical functionaly.
Thank you, John. I didn't realize that. I guess some one who was Stateside would have to buy it and transship it to you. The requirement to have a US based credit card to buy Kindle books would make it impractical anyway.

Oh well, it was a thought.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #49
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Depends on what you call nearly identical.

No dictionary on the Sony
No notes on the Sony, Cybook (iLiad only does notes on PDF files)
No searching on other units. (search for eBooks and search within eBooks)
No keyboard (to facilitate searches, dictionary lookup, notes)
No screen capture
No Audible support

If these features are important then the Kindle might still be the best unit in spite of the hassle of obtaining one.

Dale
Ah yes thanks. I'm so focused on the reading experience I don't pay attention to much else, lol.

The dictionary is handy but the default one is a bit limited. I like the search function also. I don't use the other functions but they could be important to others.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #50
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
Why are you participating in this Kindle oriented subforum if you wouldn't buy one?

What is the point of your post?
To answer to your question
Quote:
I'm wondering why those living outside the US don't just buy a Kindle as it is
I live outside the USA and I don't have kindle although I could get one.
Here is why:
Quote:
I would not buy it even if I lived in the USA. Don't like(kindle), as simple as that.
If tomorrow Kindle was sold in the UK and Sony is still in the USA, I would go for Sony.

Last edited by astra; 07-22-2008 at 06:37 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #51
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Astra,

If you're here to answer his question then I'm sure you can do better than "don't like (Kindle)". It would be a lot better answer if you said why you don't like it.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #52
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It has been discussed too many times. I didn't want to repeat myself.

Keyboard. My ebook reader will not have actual physical keyboard. It ruins a whole reading experience for me.
I don't like its form factor. I believe it is ugly, bulky and far less convenient than Sony Reader.

Sony Reader for me is an ideal way how ebook reader should look/feel and work.

Not having search functions, dictionaries, taking notes etc., do not bother me because none of my hardback editions of printed books have these features (or even paperback editions ). However, Sony Reader is so much more convenient to travel with than printed books and it doesn't have any unneccessary bells and whistles that would degrade reading experience. It is as close to a real book as electrical gadget could.

I fully appreciate that there are people who think/feel different and that's why they bought Kindle and they are happy with their choice. Fair enough. However, I don't like kindle for all the reasons mentioned above and that is why I didn't and would not buy kindle at least its current version.

I believe it is enough?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #53
TheJohnNewton
Addict

Ok, fair enough. "Don't like" was a bit brief having never read your posts on the subject before.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #54
cush

Once again astra seems to miss my point.

People abroad already wanted a Kindle were asking in this thread when would it function internationally. Why are we supposed to care why you (astra) don't like it?

John answered my question regarding why someone who already wanted one wouldn't/couldn't buy one if they liver outside the States.

Enough. I'm becoming cranky and intolerant in my old age.

Last edited by cush; 07-22-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #55
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post

Enough. I'm becoming cranky and intolerant in my old age.
Who cares?
Old 07-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #56
cush

No one-that's the point.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 AM   #57
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp View Post
Personally, I don't like the idea of needing a contract with a phone company to use the wireless feature. Standard wifi that lets you use hotspots and your home internet connection is far better.
You don't need a contract with a phone company to use the Kindle wireless feature. Amazon takes care of that at no charge to the consumer, the cost is built into the purchase price. You just buy the Kindle and turn it on and go.

WiFi would be useless to me. I don't fancy driving down to a Starbucks just to download a book. The AT&T wireless is much more available to me than WiFi.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 PM   #58
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
You don't need a contract with a phone company to use the Kindle wireless feature. Amazon takes care of that at no charge to the consumer, the cost is built into the purchase price. You just buy the Kindle and turn it on and go.

WiFi would be useless to me. I don't fancy driving down to a Starbucks just to download a book. The AT&T wireless is much more available to me than WiFi.
Amazon is Sprint EVDO, not AT&T but your point remains the same. If there were free open WiFi everywhere, that would be great, but there isn't. If it were a WiMax metro network it might be competitive but free WiFi hotspots don't help you when you're on a train like DH is every day.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #59
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Just got back from vacation (forgot my Kindle ) and had to rely on my Touch. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find free WiFi. The only place I could reliably use my Touch was the hotel. Elsewhere I would've had to purchase something from the shop or pay. I'm allergic to caffiene so I don't even walk near Starbucks. And I know that the Sprint EVDO coverage was great so I was doubly sad (where's a crying smilie, an oxymoron if I've ever seen one, when you need it?)
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #60
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
You forgot your Kindle! I'm trying to imagine what that "oh s***" moment was like. That's like one of those nightmares where you show up at school and find out there's an exam you didn't know about and then your pants disappear.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote