Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2017, 01:18 AM   #1
rlouie
rlouie doesn't litterrlouie doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura
Battery replacement for the original Aura (N514)

It's time for me to replace the battery on my Aura. After doing a lot of searching coming with almost nothing on how to remove the backing of the Aura or what type of battery is in the Aura, I ran across this Youtube video on a N514 teardown -

I went about it the same way and got access to the battery which is glued down.

Next I noted the model number of the battery (pr-285083) which I found out that it was the same battery that was in the Kobo GLO HD as well as the NOOK GlowLight Plus BNRV510. A few eBay sellers are selling the battery for less than $15 US Shipped. From the looks of the images included in the auctions, even the battery connector is the same so there shouldn't be any need for soldering.
rlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:18 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Amazon has lots of different e-reader and Tablet batteries.....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
rlouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Amazon has lots of different e-reader and Tablet batteries.....
There's about 4 of them on Amazon for about the same price or a little cheaper. Unfortunately, the cheaper one doesn't have a clear picture of the connector so you may have to do a bit of soldering there.

On a related note - anyone have any hints on how to easily remove the existing battery now that the cover is off?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might be able to cut through the glue using dental floss and not put too much pressure on the PCB, that way.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:46 AM   #5
rlouie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You might be able to cut through the glue using dental floss and not put too much pressure on the PCB, that way.

Luck;
Ken
That's a good idea. Plus, it will leave the reader minty fresh!
Advert
Old 08-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
rlouie

There's a large piece of double-sided tape holding the old battery in place. It's taped to a plastic substrate which separates the battery from the display. The floss kind of worked but I don't think I used enough of it. Luckily, it was a nice warm day and the double-sided tape gave way without too much of an issue.

Battery was installed without too much drama. The only thing someone has to worry about is that the battery connector needs to be slightly modified. The tabs that typically hold the plug into the receptacle is actually smaller on the OEM battery than the replacement so at least the tabs on one side of the new plug needs to be removed which is pretty easy as the plastic is not too tough.

Once you do that, just apply some doublesided tape to the backside of the battery and close it back up. I also added a bit of foam to the back cover to hold the battery as well as the connector in place.