Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Annotations

Hi,
I just got an email from Kobo saying that they finally brought an annotation feature to the Kobo Touch and their PC etc software. I would like to understand the following:
(1) Do annotations only work for Kobo Books?
(2) Do annotations get synchronized across devices (like bookmarks)?
(3) If annotations work for all books, do they get synchronized across devices (Kobo books will be available on all devices, but let's say I side load all my non Kobo books ... will the annotations get synchronized)?
(4) Does Kobo store/save your annotations (lets your PC dies, you have nothing backed up, does Kobo have a backup)?

Thanks,
Diddy
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
(1) They only work on books you buy from Kobo (KePub).

(2) No, that has been pushed back to the next update.

(3) No this will never happen, because you can't add books to the desktop app from sites other than Kobo.

(4) I'm not sure on this one. Can someone else clarify?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
diddy
Connoisseur

Many thanks for your answers! So if Kobo is really planning on offering sync as well for annotations, this would be a very convincing point for me to buy a Kobo Touch. In regards to (4): Let's assume I read 4 books on my Kobo Touch and I made a lot of annotations, and one day the device gets stolen ... Are all my annotations lost or if I buy a new Kobo Touch, will they all show up with the books again? (Similar to what Amazon is offering with their cloud backup and whispersync)

[I guess this depends also on (2)]
Old 10-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Yes that will depend on (2). The reason I'm not sure about (4) is because I haven't tried out 1.9.12, I've had to send my KT for warranty work.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
As for #4, if you do not backup, you lose all sorts of things. However, your kepub annotations should be (when sync is implemented) be saved on the Kobo server as they will (when it is released) sync with the desktop application. What I don't know is if you delete a book from the Touch and Desktop and then re-download the book, if you will magically have annotations back. I'm thinking not, but who knows (yet).

There is also that sending to Facebook thing, which, for those who choose to use it, could become an archive of sorts for that kind of thing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
diddy
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot all for your help!
Best regards,
Diddy