Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #16
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
MR is the only "social" networking that I do.

It drives me crazy that people I barely know, or remember, track me down through my son's facebook page. Then he sends me their contact info for me to decide if I want to connect (which is starting to drive him crazy when he has to be the middleman). I never "befriend" or whatever. If people are my friends then we already have contact.
I know what you are talking about.
Some of my ex-classmates all of sudden decided that we have been very good friends (after more than 20 years of living in different countries) and because they cannot contact me via any social networks they contact my brother or my parents (because they do visit s. nets.) and ask them to ask me to contact them, then again....then again...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #17
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I am on a few different sites to include twitter.

It is like I got ADD or something.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post

Been there. Done that.
4 years of my life down the drai...LPMUD. The original, the very first of its kind, Genesis. 1995-1998. I am still paying the price. Will do it for the rest of my life.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #19
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I spent a good amount of my days on MUDs also. Dear God man, I may have killed your elf once or twice.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #20
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I spent a good amount of my days on MUDs also. Dear God man, I may have killed your elf once or twice.
although my backside still hurts. I knew it!

Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I was on my space very briefly simply as part of a group of skiers. we'd update on snow conditions and such.

I haven't gotten on any of the other bandwagons and I think I'm pretty darn happy about that.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #22
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I'm not socially networked either. Hell, I've got a pending friend request here on MR and I'm debating what to do with it. I don't even keep a consistent persona across various forums and other areas; I don't necessarily want my fanfic writing crossed with my online gaming and mixed in with my other hobbies. (If you're wondering, I'm some of the other Worldwalkers but not all of them; I am, however, the original as far as I know, unless you can date one to pre-1993)

I am frankly baffled by this modern urge to throw all the intimate details of one's life out there for all comers to paw over, and I'm boggled at the degree of conceit that is necessary to believe that anyone cares. But what really blows my mind is the idea that people will form social groups based on similar preferences in consumer goods. Seriously ... clothes? food? personal electronics? I'm not talking about support forums, or sharing of resources, or even discussion of content like MR ... it's the whole idea of "I like Pepsi, and you like Pepsi, so we should be friends." Is that what connections between people have come to? Nothing more profound than both buying things from the same company?
Too Right....This encapsulates the whole Idea for me as well....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #23
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, at least I don't feel so strange now. No facebook, no myspace, no twitter. MSN to talk to some friends who are far, nothing else. Forums and mail are already almost too much for me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #24
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I like Facebook.

Not obsessed with it like many, but it's a great way to stay in touch with acquaintances you don't care enough about to call or e-mail regularly, easy way to share photos with friends and family, great for finding old friends you lost touch with etc.

I like a couple of the games as well, good way to waste 10-15 minutes a day when needing a short break at work etc.

But I'm also at a PC most of the time, so it just a really easy way to keep in touch for me.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a myspace account that I do not use and I have a twitter account I do not use. But I do use my facebook account.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #26
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Facebook is the only one I have and I only have it because many of my friends and family are so damn lazy that sometimes the only way I can find out what is going in their lives is to read their status updates!

I do frequent five forums regularly though. Each for a different interest of mine.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #27
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I am up to my third iteration of Facebook, and may be about to shut it down again. The privacy aspect I am less worried about than I am that I find the UI so annoying. Mostly though, I am not that "social".

Cheers,
Marc
You are too easy to find. I found you in facebook.

I rarely look there anymore. I was looking up a ex-colleagues's email address yesterday and my sister in-law nabbed me for a chat about her cat having kittens.

Quote:

You are a serious jibberjabber

I tried twitter to get you, but MR is so much more fun.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #28
happy_terd
Banned

I tend to bounce around a few different sites. It is all about the "getting to know people" thing.

hmmm, I wonder if I can give my profiles on other accounts karma from here.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #29
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
You are too easy to find. I found you in facebook.
I wasn't hiding.

Quote:
I rarely look there anymore.
Me neither, which is why I might shut it down (again).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #30
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
MR is the one and only, a part from technical support forums in which I just try to get an answer as fast as I can.

I am just starting to understand how it works and how I interact with it. I ask myself questions like, isn't this just mental m....? Is it worth to me in terms of time and attention? Is the way I am consuming it (like pilotBOb said once) a good one?

Sometimes I am curious about these other social things. But

@ happy_terd: I got this image of your unbelievable posting rate and quality. Just like you pump iron to build your muscles for some reason, you pump posts to build something else.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote