Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Arjen
Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: iPhone
Hello from Holland

Hi all,

My name is Arjen, I'm from Holland and have been reading ebooks on my smartphones for many years.

It started reading on a mobile device on a Nokia Communicator 9210 with Mobipocket (mostly Fantasy), but since Amazon took over Mobipocket, their software has become abandonware and it currently looks like new versions of their excellent Mobipocket Reader will never arrive for newer smartphones (like Symbian S60v5, iPhone etc).

A couple of months ago I bought an iPhone and discovered Stanza, which is a pretty decent ebookreader, but it doesn't display my old Mobipocket titles correctly. For this reason I'm switching to reading books in the EPUB format which is reasonably well supported by Stanza and also rapidly seems to become the new Ebook standard

I also regularly create ebooks of books I own, and I want them to be formatted as close to the original as possible. For this reason I went searching on the internet to find out how to do some formatting stuff in EPUB. I quickly stumbled upon MobileRead which already has given me a wealth of information on formatting the more trickier stuff (like centering tables, creating drop caps text and images, image positioning and resizing, text flow around images etc). After lurking a while and reading some of the excellent helpful posts, I decided it's time to register.

What I particularly like on MobileRead is the responsivess, respect en helpfulness of the members towards each other on the forums. I'm looking forward to becoming an active member of this community and hope that in the near future I will be able to help others in a similar fashion.

Best regards

Arjen
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Arjen. Do you prefer to read in Dutch or English -- or doesn't it matter? Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
Arjen
Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.Arjen puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: iPhone
I prefer to read everything in English (things get lost in translation, especially when reading translated works of Jack Vance for example, where a lot of the subtle humour is simply untranslatable), but I also have a couple of Dutch ebooks (mostly children's books to read to my son at bed time).

Jack Vance is one of my favorite authors, but unfortunately not much is available in Ebook format.
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Arjen and welcome to MobileRead. I read Shortcovers books on my iPhone as well as Stanza and like it fine. What I like about Shortcovers is that I can also load it onto my 505 so I've always got my eBook at hand
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Arjen, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome plaque5.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	38536 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert