Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
font size in table

I have a simple table that works in my PC MobiReader and in my Bebook Lbook firmware; however, although the table is ok in both, the font size does not carry through into the Bebook although it is fine in MobiReader:
<TABLE WIDTH=100%>
<TR>
<TD WIDTH=50% VALIGN="TOP" >
<div style="font-size:.5em"><P><CENTER>Text</CENTER></P><P><CENTER>Text</CENTER></P><P><CENTER>Text</CENTER></P></div>
</TD>
<TD WIDTH=50% VALIGN="TOP" >
<div style="font-size:.5em"><P><CENTER>Text</CENTER></P><P><CENTER>Text</CENTER></P><P><CENTER>Text</CENTER></P></div>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
Does anyone know how to make the font size change work in Lbook firmware?
Bob
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To tentatively answer my own question after looking at the settings options for prc files on my bebook with Lbook firmware, it seems that unlike with my fb2 files that allow changing font sizes, with prc files only one font size is allowed. Thus smaller or larger font sizes in a table is not possible (?)

I guess a better question, then, is this problem unique to the Lbook firmware or is it a feature of all prc files on an ebook reader regardless of firmware?
Bob
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MobiPocket does not internally support font-size, but MobiPocket Creator is probably converting it to something that MOBI handles. What MOBI has natively is the big and small tags, from Kindle Formatting: The Complete Guide by Joshua Tallent:
Code:
<p><small><i>The Four Million</i>, copyright &copy; 1906 by O. Henry.</small></p>
These tags can be nested, with each providing one jump in font size.

You could also try your original version but run through Calibre to convert it to MOBI. Calibre does a better job than MobiPocket Creator on converting HTML tags and styles to MOBI.

Since the Hanlin only has 3 font sizes for MOBI, I'm not sure how these are mapped. I'm pretty sure you would need to be on the middle or large size for a smaller font request to have any effect. Most other devices using the Java MobiPocket Reader have many more font sizes than this.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Table support in many versions of the Mobi Reader is very poor; FBReader does not support tables at all. The CyBook (randomly) seems to ignore column width specifications - the identical HTML code sometimes has its columns correctly sided, and other times does not.

My experience is that if you really must use tables in a Mobi document, keep them as simple as possible. If you have a small, single-page, table, it may be better to replace it with a graphic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
bobcdy
Fanatic

Thanks for the info, Harry. Actually I had tried "small" also among my many experiments and that did not work either (although the table text stayed the same size when I used the enlarge font button.) It's too bad that hanlin has such a few font sizes, esp. compared to the fb2 format that I like much better for reading but doesn't ever seem to make it to MobileRead uploads.

I reinstalled my BeBook firmware in place of the Lbook one, but prc still did not have any font size change in the ok button options; the only font size change comes from the magnify button.

Bob
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
bobcdy
Fanatic

[QUOTE=wallcraft;529016]MobiPocket does not internally support font-size, but MobiPocket Creator is probably converting it to something that MOBI handles. What MOBI has natively is the big and small tags, from Kindle Formatting: The Complete Guide by Joshua Tallent:
Code:
<p><small><i>The Four Million</i>, copyright &copy; 1906 by O. Henry.</small></p>
These tags can be nested, with each providing one jump in font size.

Thanks Wallcraft - I'll experiment more but even though Kindle mobi supports "small", I don't see much evidence that Hanlin mobi does, at least in a table. I'll have to experiment more with a trial document and nested tags.
Bob
Old 07-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've used <font size="+1"> and <font size="-1"> with success... I think I haven't tried larger numbers.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I believe the problem is with the "font-size:.5em"

The "font-size: x-small" (and other steps) work
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote