Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #61
icanhazkindle
icanhazkindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hey,

what exactly do I have to do if I only want to disable some of the features?

I don't want Amazon to see what I read, neither I want them to delete or edit books on my device. But I want to get firmware-updates.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #62
Bill Lumburgh
Enthusiast
Bill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipseBill Lumburgh can illuminate an eclipse

Device: K3
As I see it, the patchfile on the first page of this thread shouldn't affect updates in any way. All it does is replace what would normally be send to Amazon with a nullstring.
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #63
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I use my debit card for my everyday purchases. A certain large bank knows where I am because of where and when I buy gas. They also know where and when I eat out. Krogers knows exactly what groceries and sundries I buy as I use a loyalty card to get sale prices. A large insurance company knows my and my entire family's medical history and what prescription medications we take.

Everywhere I browse on my computer, even without logging into a website, gets me location focused ads. The phone company has a record of who calls me. My cell provider has the same, and My Location on my cell phone tells Google know where I am. My travel rewards program keeps track of how often I travel and where I go most often. My homeowners and car insurers know what my house looks like and how well I drive.

If I can get a few discounts from Amazon because they know what books I have on my Kindle, then bully for them. They aren't actually spying on any individual (unless you are targeted by law enforcement); it's just another way for them to gather marketing data.

Face it, there ain't no such thing as privacy unless you live off the grid.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #64
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanhazkindle View Post
Hey,

what exactly do I have to do if I only want to disable some of the features?

I don't want Amazon to see what I read, neither I want them to delete or edit books on my device. But I want to get firmware-updates.
You can always do manual firmware updates by downloading the update from the Amazon Kindle support site and then copying it onto your Kindle via USB. Some people prefer it this way anyway as they want to see if there are any reported issues with a specific update before applying it.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #65
Gearhead
Enthusiast
Gearhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I don't care one bit about the data Amazon collects, doesn't bother me at all.
That is nice for you. You should be able to "opt-in". I can't even "opt-out". Shame on Amazon.
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #66
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
That is nice for you. You should be able to "opt-in". I can't even "opt-out". Shame on Amazon.
You opt-in by buying a Kindle. I knew going in that Amazon would collect data on my purchases, just like they already did. Personally, I think this big-brother Amazon stuff is just a big pile of overly paranoid nonsense.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #67
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
If you want to upset big-brother, it's a lot easier to just confuse them with disinformation to hide your truth ... that or disconnect everything and go live under a rock.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #68
floriano
Enthusiast
floriano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@ebs: What programme does the actual transfer of the log files to amazon servers? Where is it being called? I had a look at the cronjobs but couldn't find anything.

I am wondering if just changing the showlog script is sufficient that nothing is transmitted to them.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #69
Waba
Groupie
Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Waba has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, PRS-350/950, HP Touchpad, Kindle Keyboard
Can I get by not activating my Kindle 3? What are the pros/cons of this?
I don't see myself using the Kindle store... The wifi, browser (so on) is a joke to me and I don't plan on using it.

Frankly, this is a big deal. I routinely change the formats of ebooks, probably in violation of ToS. Pretty victimless if you ask me... The last thing I want is AMZN datalogging me and deeming me a pirate.

With music and movie people coming after individuals constantly, this is pretty scary. Who's to say publishers won't come after me for converting a PDF (worthless on ereader) into a mobi?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #70
icanhazkindle
icanhazkindle began at the beginning.

Does the K3 still have a remote-delete-feature like the K2? If so, how can I disable it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waba View Post
I don't see myself using the Kindle store... The wifi, browser (so on) is a joke to me and I don't plan on using it.
What about sending your Kindle back and getting the Wi-Fi version(I don't know US law but in Germany you can send ordered products back within 14 days after buying without telling them a reason)? It sounds like you don't really need the 3G one. If law doesn't allow you sending it back, you can try it though because amazon is very acommodating as far as I know. Btw I don't think Amazon will say you are a pirate because you convert PDF's. Their logs don't prove anything I think.

Last edited by icanhazkindle; 10-12-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #71
Achiever
Getting Experience
Achiever began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Exclamation Don't [language edit by moderation] with the Devil, [language edit by mod] with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by c861556 View Post
Aside from the fact that the EULA doesn't explicitly mention such 'insignificant' things like location tracking:

A 2001 Privacy Leadership Initiative survey showed that only 3% of customers read privacy policies carefully and 64% only glance or never read such policies.

In 2002, the New York Times reported that only 0.3% of users read Yahoo’s privacy policy in a one month period back in 2001.

A 2006 survey of Facebook users showed that 89% of them admitted that they had never read the privacy policy and 91% were not familiar with the terms of service.

A 2008 survey by the ICO found that 71% did not read or understand privacy policies, that 62% wanted a clearer explanation of how personal information will actually be used, and that 42% believed that the material only existed to justify the selling on of personal details.

In April, 2010, a computer game retailer revealed that it legally owns the souls of thousands of online shoppers, thanks to a clause in the terms and conditions agreed to by online shoppers ("By placing an order via this Web site . . . you agree to grant Us a non transferable option to claim, for now and for ever more, your immortal soul.") Almost 90% of customers agreed to the terms and conditions without reading. Those who refused the terms, by the way, were given a £5 gift voucher.

Do I need to go on?
The last one is [language edit by moderation] WICKED SICK!

Don't [language edit by moderation] with the Devil!

But the other ones show how the mass of sheeple let the shepard(s) lead the way without knowing where they going...

Get enlightened and out of the trap by getting smarter and a better human!

Last edited by dreams; 10-17-2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: profane language edited by moderation team
Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #72
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Did they change the showlog script?
Because (unless I am being stupid) I can not find the 2 lines I need to change.

# grep print_stream_header showlog
Code:
print_stream_header () {
        print_stream_header $NUMFILES  >> "$OUTFILE"
        print_stream_header  `ls $ARCHIVE_DIR/${LOG}_*.gz | wc -l ` >> "$OUTFILE"
grep print_gzip_files showlog
Code:
print_gzip_files_anon () {
print_gzip_files_dsn () {
GZIP_HEADER_TYPE=print_gzip_files_anon
            GZIP_HEADER_TYPE=print_gzip_files_dsn
Kindle GB 3G+wifi.

Last edited by Rinzwind; 10-21-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #73
ode
ode began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Hi, how do I get a shell on kindle 3 wifi to be able to modify showlog?
Do I just need to install the jailbreak?

Thanks for your help, I have searched but it's not clear to me.

Cheers
Old 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #74
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
You opt-in by buying a Kindle. I knew going in that Amazon would collect data on my purchases, just like they already did. Personally, I think this big-brother Amazon stuff is just a big pile of overly paranoid nonsense.
Hear hear.

The tin-foil-hat-wearing crowd seems to ignore motive. Amazon is in the business of making money and they do this by providing an engaging customer experience.

There's no knock at my door of g-men to question me about my highlighted passages, though Amazon might make a book recommendation to me based on what I've read, liked and highlighted.

Face it: most of us are "nobodies" the government and big business is indifferent toward, aside from as a source of revenue. The tin-foil-hat-crowd needs to get over themselves.

/rant
Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #75
Acorn
Connoisseur
Acorn is on a distinguished road

What is responsible for generating this line in the log?:
HDR Latitude=37.334167,HDR Longitude=-122.031113,

It would be great to be able to access that script as an easy way of getting your current location!
Closed Thread