Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Themes for PocketBook Touch Lux 623

Hello,

here I'd like to start a thread about making themes for the PocketBook Touch Lux 623.

Here are my instructions:

1. At first you need the original theme (see attachment). If you ask how I get it: If you have some linux knowledge you can write a script, save it to the applications directory of your PocketBook an execute it. So you can copy any file to a visible directory.
  2. Now you need an application to split the theme into its configuration file and graphics:
    https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=105
  3. Now you are able to modify config file and graphics. The graphics must be bmp and with 4bit color map. A special color is "0x808040" because it is rendered transparent.
  4. Finally you have to "compile" these files to a new pbt. To do this you need pbres. It is a part of the PocketBook SDK:
    http://pocketbook-free.sourceforge.net/en/sdk.shtml
If you are interested in my themes please visit https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214445

Regards
Ronny
Attached Files
File Type: zip Contrast.zip (288.4 KB, 904 views)
Old 06-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRSteiner View Post
here I'd like to start a thread about making themes for the PocketBook Touch Lux 623.
Thank you very much. I have already installed your theme and I like it more than the original one.

Thank you for your instructions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRSteiner View Post
At first you need the original theme (see attachment). If you ask how I get it: If you have some linux knowledge you can write a script, save it to the applications directory of your PocketBook an execute it. So you can copy any file to a visible directory.
There is better and safer way.
I have installed an ftp server on my PocketBook 623. The program is called vsftpd.
http://othb08me09zp-pb-apps.narod2.ru/vsftpd.tar.gz
Russian description here
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21649
Translate.Google.com is your friend.

Just copy the files from the archive to the application directory and run launcher app. The program will display IP address and port on the PocketBook screen, then you use some program to connect to the reader as an anonymous ftp server.

This is, I think, much safer than creating scripts.
To make sure configure the ftp server to prevent writing to filesystem. You can modify the vsftpd.config file

To access the files inside the reader you can also use poterm program - the PRO version.
You have to touch the screen to get graphical dialog box and then you have to touch the tiny text box to enter the command. Took me about 20 tries to do it for the first time.

WARNING:
Be sure you know what you are doing before messing with the files in the internal memory.
The warning is not for you Ronny, you obviously know what you are doing ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
N8Walker
N8Walker began at the beginning.

Device: onyx
FTP-server on an EInk device ... perfect
N8Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
WARNING:
Be sure you know what you are doing before messing with the files in the internal memory.
The warning is not for you Ronny, you obviously know what you are doing ;-)
Does the ftp server give you root privileges? If not, it's hard to screw anything up, since the files that you can't see via USB are pretty well locked down.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Does the ftp server give you root privileges? If not, it's hard to screw anything up, since the files that you can't see via USB are pretty well locked down.
Have a look at the config, it is inside archive. From what I have gathered it does give you interesting options.
I was reluctant to try to delete something from a system disk ;-)

For now I used it to make a copy of all the files I could find on the reader for further analysis.
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8Walker View Post
FTP-server on an EInk device ... perfect
There is even experimental html server for PocketBook somewhere on the net. Tomorrow I will try to find it ;-)

Have a look inside the reader. /bin directory is populated mostly by symlinks to busybox and there is even vi editor present.
Here is the list of files from inside /bin directory (as it comes from a factory)
[, ash, awk, basename, bunzip2, busybox, bzcat, bzip2, cat, cksum, clear, cp, cut, date, dd, df, dirname, dmesg, du, egrep, echo, env, expand, expr, false, fgrep, fold, free, grep, gunzip, gzip, head, hostname, hwclock, hwconfig, chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot, id, ipcrm, ipcs, kill, killall, length, list.txt, ln, ls, lsusb, mattr, md5sum, microcom, mkdir, mke2fs, mkfifo, mkfs.ext2, mkfs.ext3, mkfs.vfat, mknod, more, mount, mv, nc, netstat, nice, nohup, nslookup, oftpd, pidof, ping, pivot_root, pkill, printf, ps, pwd, renice, reset, rm, rmdir, route, rx, rz, sed, sh, sha1sum, sleep, sort, split, stat, strace, strings, stty, suspend, swupdate, sync, sysctl, tail, tar, tee, telnet, test, time, tinysmb, top, touch, tr, true, tty, tune2fs, udhcpc.sh, uiquery.app, umount, uname, uniq, unzip, uptime, usleep, vi, watch, watchdog, wc, wget, which, whoami, xargs, yes, zcat, plus it has things like antiword, docx2html among 48 user binaries inside /ebrmain/bin
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Have a look at the config, it is inside archive. From what I have gathered it does give you interesting options.
I was reluctant to try to delete something from a system disk ;-)

For now I used it to make a copy of all the files I could find on the reader for further analysis.
It doesn't look like it runs as root, which is what I expected. You would need some way for root to launch it (in start up scripts or /etc/inetd.conf or...), and I doubt that PB left any such hole in their system. Launching it from the Applications tab means that it runs under the reader/sreader account.

Still, it's very useful even without root capabilities.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
There is even experimental html server for PocketBook somewhere on the net. Tomorrow I will try to find it ;-)
Do you mean this one?
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

I would inform you that I updated the Crystal-Themes for the PocketBook Touch Lux 623 firmware version 4.3:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214445

Regards
Ronny
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Another theme update: black panel in landscape direction fixed, new gray panel Crystal-Theme (Crystal-g)

Regards
Ronny
Old 10-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Hello again,

I made another theme set "Tango" for your PocketBook Touch Lux 623.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214445

Enjoy!
Ronny
Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Do these work in English?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Do these work in English?
Yes of course, try it and give yor feedback please.

Regards
Ronny
Old 10-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I noticed when I copied a few of these into system\themes that the folder was empty. If I decide I don't want to use any of the themes, how to I go back to the default? (I assumed the default *was* a theme).

ETA: Never mind. I see that it leaves the default "Contrast" showing, even though there wasn't anything in the themes folder with that name.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 10-12-2013 at 04:27 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
SIRSteiner
Nameless Being

Yes, the default Contrast theme is invisible because it is a part of the firmware. Thats why if there is a problem with a theme (i.e. wrong firmware/theme) you can always delete all themes in that folder and then the PocketBook will boot with the default Contrast theme. But I hope you will find my themes better than the original

Nice weekend
Ronny