Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Advanced Stylus" mystery

Does anyone else have the iRex "Advanced Stylus"? I've just received one, and I'm ashamed to admit that I'm a little baffled by one thing:

In the box, along with the actual stylus, was a little packet of what look like pencil leads - or perhaps they are replacement stylus tips, since they don't appear to actually "write". My question is, though, how one actually replaces them? As far as I can tell, the stylus is a solid one-piece construction, with nothing obvious that unscrews or unclips to allow access to the "point".

Can anyone assist?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
take a picture
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A picture won't do any good, I'm afraid - I really need to find someone who has one . I've e-mailed Libresco to ask if they know.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
you can pull out the tip with tweezers. And there are different types of tips in the package. some are softer, and those give a much better writing experience on the DR.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, tribble! I was looking for something to unscrew.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
My "Toshiba" equivalent came with the same but it also had a circular, approx 1/4" wide and 1/2" diameter device with the spare tips. There is a shaped "slit" or "cut" in it and this was apparently the "tweezer". You may well have chucked it out while wondering what it was for. I almost did before I emailed iRex to ask.

I'll be astonished if I ever need to change the tip though, and I do scribble a fair bit on my DR and the tips do not show much sign of wear yet. (8 months of use and abuse now)

regards
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A picture won't do any good, I'm afraid - I really need to find someone who has one . I've e-mailed Libresco to ask if they know.
Hi, Harry. Sorry for this. I have the same interest in the advanced stylus. So.....
Old 06-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Does anyone else have the iRex "Advanced Stylus"? I've just received one, and I'm ashamed to admit that I'm a little baffled by one thing:

In the box, along with the actual stylus, was a little packet of what look like pencil leads - or perhaps they are replacement stylus tips, since they don't appear to actually "write". My question is, though, how one actually replaces them? As far as I can tell, the stylus is a solid one-piece construction, with nothing obvious that unscrews or unclips to allow access to the "point".

Can anyone assist?

Thanks!
Great thread! I've been wondering about those things for ages!
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Aaaaaaaaaah, so thats what that does. Thanks tribble, I spent many a sleepless night on this.

Last edited by Grimulkan; 06-04-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #10
bazmi
Enthusiast
bazmi began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr 1000s, sony prs 700, 505, iliad BE. N800, SL6000, SL3200...
i havent seen the irex pen but my IBM thinkpad and wacom tablet pens have replaceable tips. just pull out the old tip and insert a new one. although why they give so many replacements is beyond me.
bazmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
yingwu
Addict

O, like this............
Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
My "Toshiba" equivalent came with the same but it also had a circular, approx 1/4" wide and 1/2" diameter device with the spare tips. There is a shaped "slit" or "cut" in it and this was apparently the "tweezer". You may well have chucked it out while wondering what it was for. I almost did before I emailed iRex to ask.
Ah! So THAT'S what that thing is for! Thank you very much - I would never have thought to use it to extract the stylus tip. Very many thanks!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Having used the Advanced Stylus for a few days now, I'm happy to report that I'm extremely pleased with it. Having a proper "pen" is much, much easier (for me, anyway) to use than the thin stylus that comes with the DR, and the flip-cover has an elasticated loop in its "spine" which holds it beautifully in a very convenient place for access.

Highly recommended.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Quote:
Having used the Advanced Stylus for a few days now, I'm happy to report that I'm extremely pleased with it. Having a proper "pen" is much, much easier (for me, anyway) to use than the thin stylus that comes with the DR, and the flip-cover has an elasticated loop in its "spine" which holds it beautifully in a very convenient place for access.

Highly recommended.
May I ask you to post a picture of both pens one next to the other? Just to see what are the differences (in the Irex website I didn't find any picture of this kind)
godel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Pictures of the various styli:

https://www.irexshop.com/index.php?c...880fda5cde43b0
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote