Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
BIG45-70
BIG45-70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Does your Kobo clunk when you shake it?

I just exchanged my Kobo for a new one because I was having battery issues. Its my first day with this one so I don't know if its any better, but I did notice that it clunks like something is loose inside of it when I shake it, does anyone's Kobo do the same thing?
BIG45-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
My doesn't clunk - it actually feels very solid....
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Funny you should mention that, Big45. My Sony doesn't bounce back when I throw it against the wall. Good to have your new company. Hope the rattle's no big deal. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
BIG45-70
BIG45-70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Everything seems to be fine so far, maybe its probobly the battery shaking around a little bit.
BIG45-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
So a man goes to the doctor and says, "Doc, it hurts when I do this [shakes arm]. What do you recommend?"

Doctor says: "Don't do that!"

(My Kobo runs (and shakes) "silently". Worst problem is constantly wiping off the paw prints ....)
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG45-70 View Post
... maybe its probobly the battery shaking around a little bit.
That would be my guess too.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

No noises from mine.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
talios
talios began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
I wouldn't say mine clunks no - but I have noticed that if twist it slightly ( often done when holding in two hands - thumbs in lower corners diagonally ) there's a feeling of movement, like it might come apart if I applied too much pressure.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the unit - just makes it feel a little less strudy/solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG45-70 View Post
I just exchanged my Kobo for a new one because I was having battery issues. Its my first day with this one so I don't know if its any better, but I did notice that it clunks like something is loose inside of it when I shake it, does anyone's Kobo do the same thing?
talios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... I did notice that it clunks like something is loose inside of it when I shake it ...

That is not normal. I would take it back immediately and get a new unit. And try it out before leaving the store.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
As soon as I heard your question, I just had to shake my Kobo. My Kobo does not clunk when shaken.

I think something is wrong with yours.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
zero10
zero10 began at the beginning.

Just checked mine for you too, no clunk here either. Something is definitely amiss.
zero10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by talios View Post
I wouldn't say mine clunks no - but I have noticed that if twist it slightly ( often done when holding in two hands - thumbs in lower corners diagonally ) there's a feeling of movement, like it might come apart if I applied too much pressure.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the unit - just makes it feel a little less strudy/solid.
Mine is the exact same. But, I did accidentally knock it off my computer table and it slid about 6ft accross the floor. That may have something to do with it
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Have you been loading the Kobo with mainly paper back or hard covers?

I find that the hard cover editions can be noisier. Especially larger tombs like lord of the rings. Although it maybe all of that armor and siege gear in the last two books.

Sorry, could not resist.

My Kobo creeks a bit if I twist it while reading. No loose bits as far as I can tell.
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
After keep on shaking it for 1 hour, it starting to clunk now.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
From what I saw inside mine, it is undoubtedly the battery flopping back and forth. It's pretty snug side to side. Mine is securely taped down to the aluminum underplate.

Look on the bright side: When you decide you need to open it up and replace the battery, at least it will be easier to take out

Go gentle on that twisting - the Kobo is pretty sturdy, but Gen3s and eSlicks tended to break their screens doing that - pretty much the same design, except for the case.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote