Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Exclamation Beta Firmware for Pocketbook 360° and 301+

Since today there last beta version of firmware prior to the official version.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30799089...61109.rar.html

For possible bug reports, I am very grateful!

The Pocketbook 301 + version coming tomorrow.
----------
Now the current version of the firmware, all the mistakes of the last version have been resolved quickly as promised.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30933188..._de_191109.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/30933296..._de_191109.rar

Last edited by Forkosigan; 11-24-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Thanks, Tol
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
This firmware is significantly more buggy than the previous experimental one. While epub support seems slightly better (the highest font setting appears to be a little bigger and the rotation is much quickewr) PDF support has gotten significantly worse. Reflow has repeatedly caused the device to lockup and, when I reset the device, the pdf will not open. I had to manually delete the PDF and retransfer it with ADE. Two pocketbooks now show up under ADE now; that's a disturbing bug. These problems are with DRM pdf. I also noticed that when the device is rotated so that the buttons are on the bottom, epubs are skewed to right. When the buttons are on top, the text is centered normally. This was a problem with the previous experimental firmware. PDF reflow also eats the last few words on each page under ADE (I havvent noticed an issue with the native pdf viewer). The font sizes on epub (but not pdf, curiously enough) are also way too limited. The largest size is the only legible one, and I'm still in my 20s. I'm going to switch back to the experimental firmware posted previously to this one.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
tufrostie
Enthusiast
tufrostie began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1100, PocketBook 360
First time I tried it it changed the language on my reader. Did it again and it didnt see the update. Not sure what to do. I am using an micro sd card.
tufrostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tufrostie View Post
First time I tried it it changed the language on my reader. Did it again and it didnt see the update. Not sure what to do. I am using an micro sd card.
... shouldn't be any problem: just go to "Settings"--> "language" and choose your language.
There's one tricky thing if you changed the system language to Hebrew - all commands on your central 4 buttons are flipped: where you usually would press right button, you need to press left and vise versa: it's from right to left
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
There's one tricky thing if you changed the system language to Hebrew - all commands on your central 4 buttons are flipped: where you usually would press right button, you need to press left and vise versa: it's from right to left
I think it is possible to edit a device config file in /system/ folder manually when you connect the reader to computer. You should be able to return to the default English menu this way.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Hi guys, a cybook owner here. Don't know if my question fits here, but I'll give it a try anyway.
How's the situation with service centers outside of Ukraine at the moment, does anyone know?
I've been considering sending my cybook in for a firmware reflash, but as Ukraine is not part of the EU and with all the customs fees and stuff I changed my mind for the time being, seems like a lot of trouble. If I could send it to a center inside of EU, it would be more simple, I guess. Does anyone have some advice for me? Thanks.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

The problem is solved in one-two days, the penultimate version was better, now have some additional features enabled, and somewhat disturbed, is usually quickly resolved.

Here are the last two beta versions:

http://rapidshare.com/files/30843850...Beta_1and2.zip
Old 11-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post
The problem is solved in one-two days, the penultimate version was better, now have some additional features enabled, and somewhat disturbed, is usually quickly resolved.

I didn't follow. So these are more recent then the firmware you posted at the top of the thread? My main concern is the instability of the DRMed PDF support when reflow is used, the chopping of of the last few words on a page in reflow, and the oddity of having multiple Pocketbooks show up under ADE when only one is connected. More font sizes or a greater difference between them in EPUB would be nice too. I also noticed that in dictionary mode, under the Adobe reader, you cannot scroll off the page and onto the opposite side like you can under FBReader. This makes dictionary look up a bit more tedious. That would be as simple fix, I think.

Luqman
Old 11-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkosigan View Post

Apparently Rapidshare is only allowing ten downloads for that file and this limit has already been reached. Does any body feel like sharing?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Forkosigan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Apparently Rapidshare is only allowing ten downloads for that file and this limit has already been reached. Does any body feel like sharing?
There should be restrictions on loading, as laid out in the Premium account.

For Pocketbook 301+

http://rapidshare.com/files/30850330...-de-171109.rar

Last edited by Forkosigan; 11-18-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
LevAizik
LevAizik is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Frimware for 301+ deleted.
LevAizik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #13
Forkosigan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevAizik View Post
Frimware for 301+ deleted.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30850330...-de-171109.rar
Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
Forkosigan
Wizard

Now the current version of the firmware, all the mistakes of the last version have been resolved quickly as promised.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30933188..._de_191109.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/30933296..._de_191109.rar
Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Overall, this is an improvement. Page turning is much faster all around. An extra font size has been added to epub handling under the Adobe reader. Other issues have not been addressed. The reflow for PDF is still cutting out words that appear at the end of the page; the larger the font, the more words are cut. I checked the same PDF under the other PDF reader and the reflow works fine, so it's not the pdfs. Epubs are not centered in landscape with the buttons on the bottom; they are centered when the buttons are on top. This is no longer just an aesthetic issue now that the larger font size has been added; the text now disappears over the right side of the screen. The issue from the last firmware which caused two pocketbooks to show up on ADE has been fixed. In dictionary look up you still cannot scroll up from the top margin and come in at the bottom. This combined with the slower running of the dictionary under ADE makes dictionary look up more tedious. It is still quite functional. I will be keeping this firmware because of the general speed up and the larger font sizes in EPUB. Before it is commercially released, the reflow issue with PDF and the decentering of EPUB text in portrait mode should be resolved. The other issues could be resolved further down the road.
These two issues really impact the readability of the readily available DRMed ADEPT encrypted books. I don't mind reading in landscape mode for PDF; its still quite legible. But for others this could be a hassle.

Tags
pocketbook 360 301+ 302