Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
why the heck would you upgrade?

I currently own both of these earlier models (K2i and Dxi) and I think they work great. My wife likes the smaller k2i and I like the larger Dxi (she also like chicken/turkey white meat, and I like dark, a perfect match!). I find that the 3G web browsing (and Amazon book buying) works great for me on the Qld Gold Coast.

If you want to spend a lot less, you can source both these older models on e-bay right for ~50% the cost of newer versions (just make sure you get the international versions if you are in Oz).

I don't intend upgrading either of these in the near future since they both do what I want, and I don't think that the extra features justify the high upgrade costs. Maybe down the road, when Amazon offers coloured E-ink and better web browers (incl. video).

Anyway, just my $0.02's worth.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
If I had the K2, I would be very tempted to upgrade for the better screen but I would probably wait. It's a better proposition moving from the K1 I have now.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
I have a K2, and the new screen with supposedly 50% better contrast tempts me a little.

But then again, I still happen to feel that the K2's screen is already close to perfect... so no, I guess I won't be upgrading.

You may also want to take a look at the "Kindle 3 vs Kindle 2 Comparison" at the following link.

http://ireaderreview.com/2010/07/28/...3-vs-kindle-2/
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Better contrast is worth it to me - I've seen it in person. And color e- ink hold zero interest for me. I bought an ereader to read books, long books with no pictures.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Better contrast, better ergonomy. Sometimes the K2 is just too bulky
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
Fits better in my handbag? And since I have a pretty weak back, I really do not want much weight contributing factors. Even though the kindle 2 is pretty light as well.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
PLenty of folks are not upgrading. I did not move from the K1 to the K2.

It is a personal preference.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
I don't think I would upgrade a K2i, per se, but at $139 for the wifi only model, I would probably pick one up just for the hell of it.
That said I don't have to make that decision since we're getting a K3 3G for another family member anyway.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
It's all about the screen. The other stuff is nice but not the deal clincher. As soon as I saw the Pearl screen on my GDX I knew the K3 was going to have to replace my K2i.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
It's all about the screen. The other stuff is nice but not the deal clincher. As soon as I saw the Pearl screen on my GDX I knew the K3 was going to have to replace my K2i.
That too. I was forgetting about the Pearl Screen. Quite interesting! (is the difference so remarkable?)
Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
mostly because I saw a new shiny toy and I wanted it!
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
Juliette
I eat books

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
mostly because I saw a new shiny toy and I wanted it!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
Because it is there!
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
jacobh
jacobh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook
I just got a refurbished K2 for $109, and I'm thinking of returning it and getting a wifi only K3. Things that are holding me back:

Price difference - $30 is $30. I was able to get a case for my nook and kindle with that.
The hassle of returning and waiting for several weeks without use of the device.
Losing 3g - it's not a big deal, but it's nice not to have to deal with wifi
Ability to upgrade later - I can probably sell what I have for a little less than what I paid anyway in the future and upgrade then.

Things that are making me think I should return this:

Clicking noise when using the page turn buttons
Better screen contrast - The existing screen is OK, but even the Nook with the same generation screen seems to look a lot better with better fonts and dark border around the screen.
jacobh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #15
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have a K1 (since Jan '08). Although I love it, I am upgrading to the $189 version because I want:

1. Collections! K1 owners did not get that upgrade
2. Better screen contrast -- not that important to me, but in low light it probably helps.
3. Faster -- not important for page turning, but for dictionary use etc.
4. 16 shades of grey -- nice for images!
5. The ability to search within 1 book for a keyword rather than the entire library. That is another feature never pushed to the K1.
6. Longer battery life when connected to the internet (either wireless or 3G).

I probably will trade my K1 into GreenEarthExchange after a few weeks of playing with the K3, just to recoup some of the money I spent, but not sure yet.

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote