Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

View Poll Results: Pick your favorite MobileRead logo entries.
Full 48 19.59%
Full 4 1.63%
Full 27 11.02%
Full 21 8.57%
Full 22 8.98%
Full 32 13.06%
Full 9 3.67%
Full 4 1.63%
Full 14 5.71%
Full 20 8.16%
Full 6 2.45%
Full 14 5.71%
Full 45 18.37%
Full 66 26.94%
Full 13 5.31%
Full 67 27.35%
Full 4 1.63%
Full 6 2.45%
Full 12 4.90%
Full 42 17.14%
Full 17 6.94%
Full 20 8.16%
Full 23 9.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
MobileRead Logo Contest: Let's vote!

Hey everybody, we know we're way overdue for the results of the MobileRead logo and tagline contest, but we wanted to make sure it was done right. The number of submissions was so overwhelming (with over 90 logo and 140 tagline entrants) that we felt we needed to narrow it down to a somewhat more reasonable size (which was tough, thankfully, Bob and I are finally speaking to each other again).

As you know, the Amazon Kindle Reader is the grand prize for the best logo and $50 goes to the winner with the best tagline. But because we appreciate your kind patience in getting this contest together, we are also throwing in MobileRead t-shirts for the winners and the second and third runner-ups in each category.

And now... let the voting begin! First vote for the logos you like best, then visit this poll to vote for your favorite taglines. The polls will be open for the next few days with a final announcement before closing. And no cheating, ok?

PS: Remember, you can vote for more than one logo.

PPS: The winner will have a final chance to revise and improve the design. Smaller things, like font-type, can easily be adjusted after the contest. Keep this in mind when voting and feel free to share your suggestions.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
There you go, first stone has been thrown...
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I don't like any of them. Let's stick to the old one!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I feel compelled to say why I voted the way I did. I have to say I like fragments of many of them but none of them quite hits me right. I like the curvey wave thing (that's a technical term) emanating from the book on #1 but I don't like the book since it's a pbook which seems confusing since we're about ebooks. I like swirly ring thing (another technical term) on #7 but not the....book? forming the M - for the same reason. I have similar problems with most of the rest. The slate held in the hand in #20 looks exactly like what we're about so I voted for it. But it could perhaps use some embellishment, in my opinion. I feel a little bad making these comments after not submitting a design myself but you would not like to see my artwork, I assure you!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
ste9hen
ste9hen began at the beginning.

Device: sony mobile
disapointed

I feel slightly disapointed that at least 1 of my designs did not make it to the voting. The rules made it sound like all the entries would be voted on in the first stage. ive been waiting for weeks for the vote to start.

it was open to people in the uk wasn't it?

Last edited by ste9hen; 01-21-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added line
Advert
Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
The problem was that at no point did anyone expect there to be so much of a response. There were a lot of good designs that had 10+ variants. How do you vote on that without splitting the vote between several that are extremely similar? Im just glad we are getting rid of the thumb
Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I feel compelled to say why I voted the way I did....
Me too. I voted for the one where the 'o' is the "wheel" of the robot-device, because I'm a sucker for a logo that has the added bonus of a potential mascot.

If it wins, I vote that next poll should be about our robot-mascot's name! (I'm thinking "Wheelie", because I forgot to put my imagination on this morning )

Cheers,
Marc
Old 01-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Me too. I voted for the one where the 'o' is the "wheel" of the robot-device, because I'm a sucker for a logo that has the added bonus of a potential mascot.

If it wins, I vote that next poll should be about our robot-mascot's name!

We had exactly this same discussion, montsnmags!

You've hit the nail on the head, aapezzuto -- the splitting between similar logos was specifically discussed in fact, but the massive response was, as Alex said above, the primary reason we decided we had to narrow it down.

We would have preferred to have a vote on all of them, but the shear number of them was more than we could pull off. Among other things, the forum software won't handle a poll with 90 options, and voting in so large a poll would be an exercise somewhere between futility and sensory overload.

If you want an idea of what that would be like, have a look here.

We simply had to narrow it down some, there just wasn't any way around it. Some of the criteria we applied were whether they met the stated requirements for submission, whether they would scale well (remember we need to use a logo at both large and small size, so they have to work both ways), things like that.

Note that I'm not referencing any particular submission here, I couldn't begin to keep the details on each of the 90 straight in my memory.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post

We had exactly this same discussion, montsnmags! ...
So...right...does that mean you're one of the voices in my head? I hope so, as it's nice to put a name to a taunting inner urge of destruction and transvestitism.

Cheers,
Marc (wearing the red, spangly pumps...natch, NatCh
Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nah, I'm the one who urges you to see how many grapes you can cram into your mouth at one time.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nah, I'm the one who urges you to see how many grapes you can cram into your mouth at one time.
Fffffnn hddrrrdd nn ssbvvnti sssssllx. NNN YRRR FSSSLL, NGTSS!!!!***

Cheers,
Marc

(***One hundred and seventy-six. IN YOUR FACE, NatCh! )
Old 01-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Piffle. I've topped 200 myself.

(There always seems to be room for two more )
Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #13
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sorry...

never mind...

Last edited by curtw; 01-21-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: measure twice, cut once.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Piffle. I've topped 200 myself.
Well, with deserved respect, you've only just started me on this. Anyway, technically, since you're a voice in my head, that means I must have topped 200 myself too.

I once had 217 stink bugs in my mouth, but that's totally unrelated. Funny story...I was down at the local park for an Anti-Plush-Toy Rally and fell asleep on my back with my mouth open during stink-bug mating season. Apparently they like a warm, moist cavity in which to procreate. That experience left a bad taste in my mouth, I can tell you, and thus my big campaign for the Compulsory Sterilisation of All Arthropods ("If it's exoskeleton, it's not on") Except for Horseshoe Crabs which are kinda sexy, and go nice with a late harvest Riesling and some herb-butter and some sitar music playing in the background...

Sorry, what were we talking about?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 01-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Search me.
Closed Thread