Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
mrsmegalosaur
mrsmegalosaur began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Unhappy My reader has a broken screen

Hello, I have been enjoying my Sony eReader since early spring, but broke the screen trying to put on the $39. faux leather cover. I just got the estimate from Sony for fixing it -- $288. I'm debating between fixing it and just buying a new one. The only thing that keeps me from buying the new one is the pain I know I will go through to authorize a new reader to the computer so I can download the books I've already purchased. But the old one has now traveled thousands of miles and was the only way to be on vacation for a month and still have great books at hand. I'm hoping to find someone on this site who has had a similar experience.

--Can't imagine going onto a plane without one.

mrsmegalosaur
mrsmegalosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Sorry to hear that! I went through something similar, just with ADH warranty.

When my replacement unit arrived, I found no trouble at all authorizing it to my Reader account - just authorize and recopy my library.

Now that has used my fourth slot - 2 computers, and this was the second Reader. The first reader doesn't have the "deauthorize" option, but I believe that if I ever need the slot I won't have a problem after contacting connect support. But I'm waiting until I need that as a sixth slot. It shouldn't be a problem unless you're already up to six.

Whether or not it's worth a fix price of $288 to you I don't know....
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sorry to hear of your loss. When will the funeral be held?

When putting the cover back on, you should never ever press the screen. What I do is line it up, press from the back and the sides. I never touch the screen when putting the cover back on. The only time i do touch the screen is to wipe the dust off of it.

To be honest, you'd be better off buying a new Reader. That way, you at least have some spare parts such as the case, the electronics, and a spare battery. Just not a spare screen.

If your reader works well enough (other then the screen), connect it to the USB port, run connect, and deauthorize it from your Connect account and when you get the new Reader, just authorize it on youe accounts, download your books again, install them on your Reader and you'll be all set.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmegalosaur View Post
Hello, I have been enjoying my Sony eReader since early spring, but broke the screen trying to put on the $39. faux leather cover.
Wow that stinks. My condolences!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
It's kinda odd that the cover is so hard to remove and attach. I mean, I'm glad it doesn't fall off, that would be annoying, but the one time I needed the reset button, I discovered how well the cover was attached!
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:42 AM   #6
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When putting the cover back on, you should never ever press the screen. What I do is line it up, press from the back and the sides. I never touch the screen when putting the cover back on. The only time i do touch the screen is to wipe the dust off of it.
Good instructions -- maybe they could be posted somewhere handy?
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no danger if you lie the Reader on a hard, flat surface, and just push down on the cover fastener. The key thing is not to put pressure on any single point on the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote