Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
timdams
timdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: HP Touchpad
Windows 8 Calibre Viewer develoment started

Hello all,
Just wanted to mention that I've started writing a small frontend for Calibre to be used in Windows 8 .
For now it will be a read-only frontend to Calibre (meaning you can't edit anything in the databse). The viewer supports library-switching and ability to read those booktypes that Win8 'metro' supports.

Attached a preview of the app.
(the ugly "load/setup/tester" buttons are there for dbug purposes. In the final app, most stuff will be banned to the charms bar)

If you've got any ideas of stuff that should definitely be in there, let me know. I'd especially like to hear how you'd like to see the main view: i.e in screenshot with a sidebar that views additional data, etc)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	95315  
timdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Interesting. Why not just use a browser based front end with the calibre server running in the background? Or is this your "Learn Metro" project
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
timdams
timdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertimdams can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Interesting. Why not just use a browser based front end with the calibre server running in the background? Or is this your "Learn Metro" project
It's defintely a learn metro project, though I also am more like to have apps, instead of doing it all through the browser (call me old-fashioned )
Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Cool. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the db structure.

How are you dealing with calibre and your app accessing the db at the same time? calibre locks the db so I assume you just error out at that point. Are you planning to open source it, so others can learn from your learn metro efforts
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
timdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Cool. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the db structure.

How are you dealing with calibre and your app accessing the db at the same time? calibre locks the db so I assume you just error out at that point. Are you planning to open source it, so others can learn from your learn metro efforts
Db structure: so far it's pretty clear (used SqliteSpy).

Locking: currently the sqllite project for .net can't work with files unless they are located in certain specific folders (e.g. downloads/documents/desktop). To circumvent this I make a local copy of the chosen database each time the app (damn you metro for forcing me in doing these ugly hacks ). So far, this actually works nice.
The drawback ofcourse is that any changes made through calibre while both are running, won't show up in the app.
Anyhow, I've just started messing around with this yesterday, so we'll see what happens

Opensource: haven't really given it any thought yet, though even anyone is interested I'd gladly put the code up somewhere (github) for others to toy around with.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
timdams

Lightbulb Some usefull tips

For those toying around in WinRT. I've compiled some tips/tricks if you're planning on doing something with Calibre in WinRT. Hope it helps.You can find them here.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
kepler42
Seasoned Developper
kepler42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timdams View Post
For those toying around in WinRT. I've compiled some tips/tricks if you're planning on doing something with Calibre in WinRT. Hope it helps.You can find them here.
Great article. Thanks for sharing
kepler42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
timdams

Search contract implemented (pretty straightforward). Will describe how later on.
Basically this allows the win8 to query the calibre-db from anywhere in the win8 metro shell using the search charm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdneXt0UsE0
Old 01-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
danellender
danellender began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
Calibre RT

Timdams,

Thanks for working on this. As a calibre user, I'm definitely interested in an app for win8. One constant problem I have with these apps is the developers neglect to provide a portrait orientation for their apps. Just curious, is this a difficult option to provide? Even the Windows App store forces me to turn to landscape mode when it opens.
danellender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
timdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by danellender View Post
Timdams,

Thanks for working on this. As a calibre user, I'm definitely interested in an app for win8. One constant problem I have with these apps is the developers neglect to provide a portrait orientation for their apps. Just curious, is this a difficult option to provide? Even the Windows App store forces me to turn to landscape mode when it opens.
Hi there,
making a Store App have different orientations isn't that difficult to do actually. The main 'drawback' for me , as one who sux in making nice ui's, is that every ui/view needs to be done twice: one for each orientation. (because even if everything in your is defined relative to one another, some manual repositioning will always have to occur).

I'll keep you're very good remark in mind though!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:46 AM   #11
robcohen
Enthusiast
robcohen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kindle Touch
Tim, this sounds interesting

Hi Tim,
Saw a mention of this on your blog today and wondered if anything came of this. Nowadays Modern/Metro apps in general are more relevant as Win8.1 starts to evolve.

If you want an alpha or beta volunteer perhaps I could be useful. PM me if you like.

I do think this sort of app would get some usage, at least among a certain set of Calibre users who are trying to rationalize life with bites of Modern; er, find useful Modern apps that are compelling enough to warrant increased use of that environment. That is my situation certainly and might even use it to readas well because the Kindle app has made it impossible to side load your own books in the Modern app.

Hope something comes of this effort!

rob
robcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
Marty_B
Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle DX
Since this effort appears to have died, and I manage a large database of archival material using Calibre, I decided to write one myself for use on my surface RT. It just appeared in the store this morning under the name Calibre Viewer. I would include a link to it, but don't want to run afoul of self-promotion rules on this forum.

I should note that the listed price (99c) is effectively a suggested donation. The trial version is 100% identical and not time limited. I only added the price in hopes of defraying the cost of the developer's license, but again, it's voluntary.

In terms of the database lock: due to the oddness of windows store apps and the limitations of the sqlite implementation for store apps, a local copy has to be created within the sandbox. I check on startup to see whether the original metadata.db has changed, and if so a new copy is created. This is read-only: no changes can be made from the app itself. Maybe in future versions.
Marty_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_B View Post
Since this effort appears to have died, and I manage a large database of archival material using Calibre, I decided to write one myself for use on my surface RT. It just appeared in the store this morning under the name Calibre Viewer. I would include a link to it, but don't want to run afoul of self-promotion rules on this forum.
Feel free to start a thread in the Calibre - Related Tools subforum with a full description of the app.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
Marty_B
Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Marty_B can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Feel free to start a thread in the Calibre - Related Tools subforum with a full description of the app.
Thank you.
Marty_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, tablet, win8, windows 8