Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Hwin
Hwin began at the beginning.

Device: none
So Torn...

OK, I really like ereaders, and I've decided to get one for myself after graduation/getting a job (i.e., in a couple months)

But there are so many choices! So many file formats! So many sizes!

Here's what I want:
- e-ink
- small, lightweight (about the size of a paperback book, ideally)
- expandable storage
- ability to play mp3's (I could get by without this one)
- $259 or less

Here are the problems:
- I want both Adobe DRM (fictionwise) and azw DRM (amazon). And everything I've read says that's not possible without DRM stripping.)
- I want to be able to borrow ebooks from libraries.
- I like Kindles. (which from what I've seen does not go with library borrowing)

I already have a whole bunch of free books from various sources I have downloaded. Is it possible to de-DRM several files at once? How long does it take? Is it worth the trouble?

I also like the Kobo, but then I can't read all my free amazon books on it. Sigh. I don't really care about internet connectivity, though it would be nice. Mostly I just want to be able to put a whole bunch of books in one nifty little gadget. Oh, and e-ink.

Maybe the perfect ereader will come out before July. Sigh.
Hwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Your format problems are sadly unsolvable. Adobe DRM and Amazon DRM can't be supported by the same reader due to license issues, effectively forcing you to de-DRM and optionally, depending on the reader, convert one of the two types of files if you want to read them in your prospective device.

I admit I am too happy with my reader, the Pocketbook 360, for not recommending it. It reads DRM'd ePub files, which are used on libraries if I recall correctly. It also features a microSD card slot, which allows cards with up to 64 GB, it is actually incredibly pocketable, and it reads a huge lot of formats, including all the big ones: ePub, fb2, PDF (quite good for text-only PDF's, no good for graphs and/or images since the screen has a size of 5 inches) and Mobi files. Since you obtain Mobi files once you de-DRM Amazon purchases, you don't need to convert them once they're freed.

Ah, and it's e-ink . Price tag $240, though I recall some sale going on.
Logseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Hwin. There are some fine devices on the market right now around your price range, but I think you'll find it tough to find any single one that would meet all requirements. Who knows what will happen, though? Two months is a long time in reader technology. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Pocketbook 360 is a very good choice. I can also recommend the Sony Touch Edition. The MP3 players on the Sony devices are sweet, with very good sound quality (similar to the Walkman line, IMO). They are on dale for 199 US until Saturday, so they make a very economical choice as well.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwin View Post
OK, I really like ereaders, and I've decided to get one for myself after graduation/getting a job (i.e., in a couple months)

But there are so many choices! So many file formats! So many sizes!

Here's what I want:
- e-ink
- small, lightweight (about the size of a paperback book, ideally)
- expandable storage
- ability to play mp3's (I could get by without this one)
- $259 or less

Here are the problems:
- I want both Adobe DRM (fictionwise) and azw DRM (amazon). And everything I've read says that's not possible without DRM stripping.)
- I want to be able to borrow ebooks from libraries.
- I like Kindles. (which from what I've seen does not go with library borrowing)

I already have a whole bunch of free books from various sources I have downloaded. Is it possible to de-DRM several files at once? How long does it take? Is it worth the trouble?

I also like the Kobo, but then I can't read all my free amazon books on it. Sigh. I don't really care about internet connectivity, though it would be nice. Mostly I just want to be able to put a whole bunch of books in one nifty little gadget. Oh, and e-ink.

Maybe the perfect ereader will come out before July. Sigh.

The Nook should fill those need very nicely. I think it hit's on every one of your points and needs.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
dfigueroa
La Guera en Manzanillo
dfigueroa is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 Global
If you can do without the Adobe stuff, I LOVE my Kindle and the mp3 capability, with the right headphones, is adequate.

There IS a way to do library books with the Kindle, I've read about it in several threads (I think in the Amazon boards)

Didn't realize that one could read azw books on the Nook..

I have almost 400 books on my K2 and about 50 songs and I still have over a gig free.
dfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Didn't realize that one could read azw books on the Nook..
That's because you can't, unless you de-DRM and reformat.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Hwin
Hwin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
That's because you can't, unless you de-DRM and reformat.
Yeah, that's what I thought. And if I'm gonna have to do that anyway, I'd rather have the adobe ADEPT and be able to check out library books more easily, KWIM?
Hwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Pocketbook 360

I am very happy with my Pocketbook 360, and would recommend it.

You can read Kindle books on your iphone or ipad (I think?) if you want to use a non Kindle device.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Yep, iPads and iPhones have Kindle apps and Kobo apps, and the iPhone/Touch also has a B&N app. The B&N app for the iPad is MIA right now, but you can use the iPhone app on the iPad if you don't mind how funky it looks at 2x size.

The iP*ds can read just about anything, but... they aren't eInk.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I am very happy with my Pocketbook 360, and would recommend it.

You can read Kindle books on your iphone or ipad (I think?) if you want to use a non Kindle device.

Amy
There are a lot of Pocketbook 360 fans on this board, might want to talk to them
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote