Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
thomashsk
thomashsk began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Question iriver story battery

hello!

I use my story for one year, but I bought it second hand.

Now the battery is getting worse, lifetime is decreasing,

Does anybody know:

battery type?

were to buy? (germany)

hints for replacement?

I thank you for your answers!

Thomas

PS: I won't miss it for a day!
thomashsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know the iriver story, but the iriver story HD has a run of the mill, standard 3.7V battery. In Germany you can buy such in electronics stores such as Reichelt or Conrad.

Of course you can ask iriver service directly whether they're selling original parts as replacement (and even perform the replacing for you), but any battery should work really, as long as it's of the same type and voltage and flat enough to fit the case.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
thomashsk

ok, so far ...

Thanks for your answer,

I already replaced a battery in my MIO 320 Navi. I got it with ebay - specified for the MIO.

The problem is the connector, I don't know if there is a standard. When there are 3 contacts, ok. At least I would cut the wires and solder the old connector to it.

I will try to open the case and have a look at the battery.

Thomas
Old 08-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Story HD battery has 2 cables. Not many possibilities there.

As for the connector, it's great if you can solder them, but with wires it can be done without. Nothing a bit of duct tape can't handle.

This picture here http://openinkpot.org/attachment/wik...ry/Com/pcb.JPG looks like the story also has just a 2 wire connector battery. The connector itself is different from the Story HD, but the battery itself looks pretty much the same.

Maybe something like this could be suitable: but I can't guarantee it
http://www.reichelt.de/MP3-Player-Sm...9;GROUPID=4351
Old 08-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
thomashsk

Very helpfull!

hello frostschutz!

thanks for your efforts. It's a pleasure to get helpfull hints in a forum. Not often to be found.

In the meantime i had a look into the unit. Only 2 cables indeed. That means, no intelligent battery, no temperature control.

The dimensons are 80 x 50 x 4 (mm).

Your link to reichelt to battery for iPod 1-2.Generation ist ok.! Seems to be a little bit bigger, but there is enougt place as I mention.

Thanks a lot, Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iriver akku.jpg
Views:	1704
Size:	512.7 KB
ID:	90580   Click image for larger version

Name:	iriver connector.jpg
Views:	1494
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	90581  

Last edited by thomashsk; 08-12-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashsk View Post
That means, no intelligent battery, no temperature control.
temperature should hardly be an issue, these batteries can deal with charge currents of 1000mAh and more, with USB you get less than 500mAh... so it should charge slow as opposed to hot

only thing to be careful about is to not overcharge it, and that control might sit on the battery itself here (under the white tape)
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
thomashsk

Thumbs up LiOn battery

Hello!

I guess there will be no problem. Loading LiOn batteries MUST be done with an intelligent device to control current and voltage.

If the battery doesn't have, the charging unit has to do it. In this case the iriver story is responsible. The most important thing ist the voltage level, which must not be exceed. Its depending from the type of battery (LiOn - LiPoly).

USB is only for delivering 5V and has nothing to do with charging control. I guess you already knew that, but perhaps somebody read this does not.

When I replace the battery I will do the first charging with open case and have a look at the temperature (I have an IR-meter).

Greetings from Sauerland, Thomas
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
kafkaesque1978
kafkaesque1978 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story + Prs 600
How did you get on with this? Did you manage to replace the battery okay? I had a dead battery in my Iriver Story (first edition). Still runs fine off USB, but not very convenient. I keep meaning to buy a replacement battery. If you have any tips?

Thanks.
kafkaesque1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User

I can't speak for the original story, but I have (fresh in today) more detailed destructions for the Story HD.

The battery is glued in with glue stripes on top and bottom (the wide sides) of the battery, and the glue was rather strong in my case. What's more, there is a big hole in the metal frame below the battery where the display is unprotected. So if you try to lever out the battery with a screw driver you can easily crack your display in the process if you didn't know about that hole beforehand. So make sure whatever you do to get the battery out, never try to get any leverage from the middle. Only work at the very sides of the battery. I'd suggest you simply pull hard on the cable of the battery itself, except it may break and you become unable to reuse it for your new battery.

The following picture is from a Story HD Basic with already cracked display I bought from Ebay for spare parts (I finally fixed my bricked Story HD today, yay).

I gave the glue stripes a green tint because they were not easy to see in the image otherwise (sorry for low quality).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	story_hd_battery.jpg
Views:	1425
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	96057   Click image for larger version

Name:	story_hd_battery_removed.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	96058  
Old 11-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #10
kafkaesque1978

Thanks for that. I have actually successfully dismantled the Story and removed the battery. I guess I was looking for tips on the type of replacement battery: specifically about getting one with the correct connectors. Yours looks similar.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User

There are so many different connectors, chances are you won't be able to find a battery with the same one. Although the Story does looks a lot more standard than the Story HD...

But the important part is the spec of the battery (3.7V) and dimensions so it will fit your device. Any connector is fine as long as it's not something fancy with ten wires instead of two. You'll just have to reuse the old connector - connecting two wires is not too hard, even without soldering you can just twist then together good and put a piece of duct tape around for insulation...
Old 11-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
kafkaesque1978

Okay well that helps. I'll take the plunge and buy a new battery and see how it goes. Wish me luck.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Thanks frostschutz. I have an iriver (-screen) for parts. Good info on safe battery removal.

Congrats on resurrected HD as well.

Cheers
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
thomashsk

Thumbs up I did it

Hello to all!

I replaced the battery successfully.

I bought a new battery offered at ebay. It was declared to use for ipod 1. generation. (as mentioned above). The width and the lenght is a little bit bigger than the original, but at last its fit, after a little modification. Look at the data shield. (pic 1)

But the best thing is: the plug fits perfect. (pic 2)

I used some adhesive strips (double sided) to fix the new battery. (pic 3)

The battery has to be mounted close to the plug. (pic 4)

Because the new battery is a little bit longer, I removed the division bar from the rear cover. (pic 5)

I hope this helps you like your hints were helpfull for me! - quit pro quo (H.L.)

Keep on reading, Thomas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	akku typenschild.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	607.2 KB
ID:	97815   Click image for larger version

Name:	stecker.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	97816   Click image for larger version

Name:	klebestreifen.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	629.8 KB
ID:	97817   Click image for larger version

Name:	akku eingebaut.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	524.8 KB
ID:	97818   Click image for larger version

Name:	steg entfernen.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	97819  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Congrats! It's a great e reader, glad you get to keep using it. Thanks for the pics, very helpful.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, repair, story